Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 4 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (35 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (13 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: Walter Dew's account...... - (3 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (3 posts)
Research Related: Henry Kelly - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Chief Inspector

Default Slaughter houses near murder sites

There was a slaughter house in Winthrop Street, near the site of Polly Nichols' murder in Buck's Row. There was also one in Hanbury Street, only a few doors from no.29 (between 35 and 37).

The Star I think carries a report that mentions some slaughtermen walking through Mitre Square the night after the double event, but I can't see a yard nearby that they might have been going to or coming from....perhaps Butcher's Row?

Were there any slaughter yards close to the other sites?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
There was a slaughter house in Winthrop Street, near the site of Polly Nichols' murder in Buck's Row. There was also one in Hanbury Street, only a few doors from no.29 (between 35 and 37).

The Star I think carries a report that mentions some slaughtermen walking through Mitre Square the night after the double event, but I can't see a yard nearby that they might have been going to or coming from....perhaps Butcher's Row?

Were there any slaughter yards close to the other sites?
Hi Joshua,

I wasn't aware that Barber's Yard in Hanbury Street was a slaughter house.

Although it had the same name as the knacker's yard in Winthrop Street, I don't believe there was any connection between the two.

William Barber took over the Winthrop Street yard from William Monk in the 1850s. Prior to that he had been one of Monk's employees. The Hanbury Street Barber's Yard was originally called Barber's Alley and was so named in the 1740s.

But of course, Harriet Hardiman's cats meat would have almost certainly been obtained from Harrison, Barber in Winthrop Street.

Gary
Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Hi Joshua,

I wasn't aware that Barber's Yard in Hanbury Street was a slaughter house.

Although it had the same name as the knacker's yard in Winthrop Street, I don't believe there was any connection between the two.

William Barber took over the Winthrop Street yard from William Monk in the 1850s. Prior to that he had been one of Monk's employees. The Hanbury Street Barber's Yard was originally called Barber's Alley and was so named in the 1740s.

But of course, Harriet Hardiman's cats meat would have almost certainly been obtained from Harrison, Barber in Winthrop Street.
Thanks Gary. It was an article in a paper that said Barber's Yard was a slaugherers. I've looked at the Goad map and there is a cowshed there, so presumed it was a cattle slaughterers rather than horses. I'll try and find the article that mentions it.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Chief Inspector

Here's the excerpt from the Star 1st Oct mentioning the slaughtermen in Mitre Square;

"It was now just five-and-twenty minutes of two. There were six people in the square all told, but no one was making any noise. Presently footsteps were heard coming along the narrow passage leading from the other square, and when the newcomers appeared, their blue jackets and white aprons discovered their calling at once, and one could not escape thought that here was evidence that SLAUGHTERERS were not strangers to Mitre-square."

So they arrived from the direction of St James' Place.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Chief Inspector

And here is the mention of Barber's Yard in the Sun 8th Sept;

"BARBER'S SLAUGHTERHOUSE.
It is a singular fact that only a few steps from the house where the woman was found is - as in the Buck's-row case - one of Barber's slaughterhouses."
Old 08-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Inactive

Quote:

It is a singular fact that only a few steps from the house where the woman was found is - as in the Buck's-row case - one of Barber's slaughterhouses."
The frequency of slaughterhouses near murder sites of serial killers throughout history must be very low.

Pierre
Old 08-31-2017, 12:37 PM
Inspector

Quote:

I believe that was an error based on the coincidence of the names.

It's a long story, but essentially an Act of Parliament of 1874 prohibited the establishment of any new knacker's yards in the London Metropolitan area. In 1886, The firm of Harrison, Barber was created and absorbed the 7 existing horse-slaughtering establishments thus creating what was described as an absolute monopoly of trade.

HB also operated out of a railway arch in Coventry Street (where the Tomkins brothers lived), but I doubt they were actually slaughtering there.

Last edited by MrBarnett : 08-31-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:41 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The frequency of slaughterhouses near murder sites of serial killers throughout history must be very low.

Pierre
Why so?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
I believe that was an error based on the coincidence of the names.
Fair enough, I can believe that the paper jumped to the wrong conclusion based solely on the name. But doesn't the presence of a cowshed indicate that this wasn't a knackers yard for horses, but a butcher's yard for beef? (or possibly a dairy, though it was surely easier to freight milk in by train than keep cows in the east end!).

Do you know if Barber ran other sorts of slaughter yards apart from horse knackers?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Fair enough, I can believe that the paper jumped to the wrong conclusion based solely on the name. But doesn't the presence of a cowshed indicate that this wasn't a knackers yard for horses, but a butcher's yard for beef? (or possibly a dairy, though it was surely easier to freight milk in by train than keep cows in the east end!).

Do you know if Barber ran other sorts of slaughter yards apart from horse knackers?
A knacker was not allowed to slaughter animals for human consumption. He mainly killed horses, but would also occasionally handle diseased animals of other species and even, on occasion, oddities like elephants, camels, lions.