• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merci beaucoup mon cher,
    Amitiés,
    David

Comment

Forbes Winslow gives an account of his involvement with Grant in "Recollections of Forty Years", also written in 1910, whose text is available on this site:

Comment

So many thanks, Chris,
        just read the letter supposedly sent by WGG to Forbes (the hooligans theory!)...
        Could not believe my eyes...
        So interesting, genuine or not!

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Here's a report from the Times, 27 February 1895, which gives a rather fuller account of Grant's crime:

WILLIAM GRANT, 35, ship's fireman, was charged on remand with feloniously wounding Alice Graham by stabbing her. Superintendent Dodd, H Division, attended for the police. The prosecutrix was now able to attend the court and give evidence. She said she had no knowledge of the prisoner until last Saturday fortnight. She met him then about 10 o'clock at night, but had seen him in a publichouse in the Tenter-grounds earlier. He was then treating women. When they met at 10 o'clock he spoke first, and then they went to a publichouse, and from there to two others in turn. It was then closing time (midnight), and they went towards a lodging-house in White's-row, Spitalfields. On the way he got into a disturbance with three young men and took off his coat to fight them. A constable came up and the men went away. Then the prisoner seemed to "turn funny," and said he would not go with her to the lodging-house. A constable came up as she was helping him on with his coat and, catching hold of her, sent her one way and the prisoner the other. The constable, she said, used her "very cruel," threw her down, and "made her in a dreadful state." He drove her away towards Commercial-street, but she saw the prisoner on the other side of the way, and when she could she went over to him and told him how she felt. They were then near M'Carthy's lodging-house. The prisoner afterwards pulled her into an entry and threw her down. She struggled and resisted, and he cut her. She did not see the knife, but she felt it inside her. At first she thought she was only scratched, but by the time she had got up and walked a little she found the blood flowing and presently sank down. Then she got a "swimming," and scarcely remembered any more till she was at the station. From there, after being seen by the divisional surgeon, Dr. Phillips, she was taken to the hospital, and had been there ever since. Mr. Hubert Rutter, house-surgeon of the London Hospital, deposed to the nature of the injury, which was an internal wound - serious, but not dangerous. The woman, when admitted, had somewhat collapsed from loss of blood. The witness added that a pocket-knife produced, which had a sharp-pointed blade, would cause the wound. The prisoner was remanded.

Comment

Thanks Chris,
            it's very nice to have this on boards.
            The story seems rather muddled... I wonder why Kebble did not properly defend WGG (there was room for manoeuvre) and instead, thought him to be JtR.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
              It's very nice to have this on boards.
              By popular demand, I shall continue the saga with the duel between George Kebbell and Forbes Winslow fought in the columns of the Pall Mall Gazette in April 1910. No great revelations - and obviously Kebbell is not a very accurate source of information on William Grant - but an interesting example of the Edwardian equivalent of a Casebook discussion ...

Comment

Here is George Kebbell's initial letter to the Pall Mall Gazette, published on the front page of that organ on Saturday 16 April 1910:

"JACK THE RIPPER."

IDENTITY OF THE MURDERER

DIED IN PRISON.

To the EDITOR of the PALL MALL GAZETTE.

SIR,-Seeing the means at his disposal for ensuring accuracy, it is remarkable Sir Robert Anderson should have fallen into a blunder concerning the identity of Jack the Ripper. The latter was not a Jew, but an Irishman, educated for the medical profession, and, for reasons, disowned by his relatives.

Just prior to the Whitechapel murders he had been getting his living as a fireman on a cattle boat, and having been suspected and watched by the police, was arrested in the very act of mutilating a woman, who, as by a miracle, recovered, and, looking like a ghost, gave evidence at his trial.

The writer defended the man before the magistrate, but at the Central Criminal Court he was unrepresented. He was sentenced to ten years' penal servitude, and died, I believe, in prison.-Yours truly,

GEORGE KEBBELL.

57, Gracechurch-street, E.C., April 15.

Comment

Kebbell's letter was accompanied by a brief report of an interview with a representative of the paper:

MR. GEO. KEBBELL INTERVIEWED.

MURDERER'S EXTRAORDINARY KNIFE

"Have you no doubt at all of the identity of the murderer?" a representative of the "Pall Mall Gazette" asked Mr. George Kebbell this morning in an interview on the subject of his letter.

"Absolutely none," he declared, speaking with the conviction of a man who has long made up his mind on the point and whose faith nothing can shake.

"Only just think," he went on to say, "this man was caught in the very act in an alley in Spitalfields. And what is most pertinent is that after he was arrested there were no more Whitechapel murders.

"I must not tell you, of course, what I know as his solicitor. I can only deal with facts that were common knowledge."
                  It was thoroughly recognised at the time that the police had got the man at last.

"The man was a madman, and it transpired during the trial that not long before the Whitechapel murders commenced he had been discharged from a lunatic asylum.

"What caused the police to suspect him in the first place was his habit of frequenting the lowest public-houses in the East-end with a most extraordinary knife. Women who saw it said they had never seen such a knife before. Certainly no such knife as this was ever made in this country. It was supposed that possibly it might have been some surgical instrument used in America. It has a peculiar twist in it.

"The police, who were watching him, saw him cut an apple with the knife in a public-house.It was with this very knife that he was mutilating the woman when the police pounced on him.

Comment

On 19 April Forbes Winslow intervened:

"JACK THE RIPPER."

DOCTOR AND THE POLICE.

Dr. Forbes Winslow writes :-

With regard to the remarks which have appeared in your issue on the above matter, I desire to challenge the facts communicated to your interviewer. Jack the Ripper has never been captured. Some time ago I thought that certain murders committed on the Continent might be traced to him, but I have come to the conclusion that this was not the case. If any one can speak authoritatively on this subject I feel I can.

The last murder of the Ripper series was perpetrated on July 17, 1889, the victim being Alice Mackenzie. On August 30 of that year I obtained a clue which I worked up to such a state of accuracy that I was enabled to trace the criminal after each of his previous murders. I found out the addresses of the various lodgings he had occupied on the night of each of his murders.

I also had feathers and some pieces of ribbon from the hats of women which he had left in the various lodgings, and which were handed over to me by the lodging-house keepers, and a pair of Canadian rubber snow-shoes covered with dried human blood. The latter he had left behind at one of the lodgings in his rapid departure after committing one of his crimes.

I have an exact description of the man in my possession. I knew his haunts, his ways of living and his habits. He was a religious homicidal monomaniac. Every Sunday morning he was to be seen on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral. I took the police into my confidence. I offered to catch the man provided they would render me the assistance I asked, but the red-tapeism surrounding Scotland Yard prevented their doing so. I was told by them that my clue was a very good one, but as a public body they could not help a private individual in his investigations.

I warned them of what I should do, and, receiving no help, I published my clue in the London edition of the "New York Herald." From that time to the present day no more Jack the Ripper murders have been committed. Though I did not actually capture the man, my intervention and action frightened him away.

I have in my possession the actual letter sent me by Jack the Ripper in the same writing as that which Sir Robert Anderson alludes to as being found under the arches, and which the police rubbed off. When in New York at a subsequent period I was highly complimented by the judicial bench on the lucidity of my clue and the way I had worked out the same.

It was a keen disappointment to me that the police did not act in co-operation with me. I cannot, however, allow the statement to be made that he was ever captured. What became of him after I had frightened him away remains a mystery which will never be fathomed.

Comment

Kebbell was quick to respond, on 20 April:

"JACK THE RIPPER."

A REPLY TO DR. FORBES WINSLOW

SIR,-Taking for granted all Dr. Forbes Winslow has said in to-night's "Pall Mall Gazette," he, according to his own account, "frightened away" the man he concluded was the murderer. Not much use in this, so often the result of untrained interference.

The reflections on the police are undeserved. The police never refuse intelligent assistance, but obviously cannot have any masters outside the force.

The man Dr. Winslow mentions was well known. He was a religious maniac of a very dangerous type, but had nothing to do with the murders. His whereabouts were on each occasion accounted for, and at the time of one of the murders he was out of the country.

Dr. Winslow can congratulate himself that while he did nothing to assist the police, he failed to send them off on a false scent.-Yours truly,

GEORGE KEBBELL.

57, Gracechurch-street, E.C., April 19.

Comment

Kebbell's letter was accompanied by one from an ally, calling himself "Olaf" and perhaps purporting to come from Scandinavia (not much changes in the world of Ripper polemic!):

SIR,-In the communication from Dr. Forbes Winslow about Jack the Ripper I read :-

"and a pair of Canadian rubber snow-shoes."

Now, Canada I know, snowshoes I know, and rubber shoes I know, but rubber snowshoes are a combination beyond me. I wonder has Dr. Forbes Winslow the faintest idea what a snowshoe is, or what it looks like. If he has, will he tell us of what use a snowshot would be on London pavements.-Yours etc.,

April 19. OLAF.

Comment

So many thanks, Chris,
                          though all that (interesting) stuff does not strengthen the candidacy of one of my well-loved suspects...
                          I start thinking of WGG with something like nostalgy...

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                            So many thanks, Chris,
                            though all that (interesting) stuff does not strengthen the candidacy of one of my well-loved suspects ...
                            Certainly Kebbell seems not to have had a very accurate grasp of the details, and despite his hints that Grant had confided relevant information to him, the stated grounds for his suspicion seem pretty flimsy.

There were four more exchanges between George Kebbell and Forbes Winslow, which I shall carry on posting gradually.

On 21 April, Forbes Winslow retaliated against his critics.

"JACK THE RIPPER."

DR. FORBES WINSLOW AND THE POLICE

SIR,-After an interval of twenty years it is a very difficult thing to recall to recollection all the substantial facts connected with the above case.

In reply to the communication I sent to Scotland Yard offering to catch Jack the Ripper on a certain Sunday morning on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral, I received a polite refusal from the police to co-operate with me. I had so many interviews with various members of the force at that time, and had so much correspondence, that I am unable to say positively whether the refusal was made in writing or verbally. I believe I received a letter. If so my request and the refusal will be found among the archives in Scotland Yard, if such treasures are preserved after this lapse of time.

As to whether the police were justified in their action may be an open question; in other words, ought they to have listened to the intelligent assistance of "any masters outside the force," to quote Mr. Kebbell, and to him it appears my reflections on the police were undeserved. He is entitled to his opinion, and I am entitled to mine. I beg in every way to differ from his views.

The man whom I am absolutely positive was Jack the Ripper was not Mr. G. Kebbell's client. He was not a Jew, as was stated by Sir Robert Anderson. I have a full description of him in my possession.

The Canadian snow shoes with rubber soles were worn by Jack the Ripper to enable him to walk about without making a noise. The photograph of the original snow shoes I have among my curiosities. I myself wear a pair of these shoes in winter to protect my feet from the snow and slosh in the London streets, and your correspondent "Olaf," if he is not blind, must have seen the same in London.

Mr. Kebbell, in his remarks to the effect that I can "congratulate myself" in doing nothing to assist the police, speaks without any knowledge of what I really did in this matter. All London were alarmed at the time at these dreadful murders occurring periodically. I did more than any man living to ferret out the mystery and to capture the madman. After I had completed my clue and Jack the Ripper was entangled in my web, and when in a few hours the monster would have been in the hands of the police, I was left in the lurch by Scotland Yard.

I now ask what has Mr. Kebbell done in the matter? He maintains that Jack the Ripper was his client. If so, why has he kept this to himself for twenty years? The professional etiquette existing between solicitor and client can hardly be an answer to this.

There were not two Jack the Rippers in the field; the veritable and only one is the one of whose identity I have every possible proof.-Faithfully yours,

FORBES WINSLOW.

57, Devonshire-street, W., April 20.

Comment

Thanks Chris,
                              typical Forbes 'style...
                              It seems that no journalist made any attempt to clarify the alledged 1895's identification, which certainly is the best evidence against "Grainger the Ripper" (more than the asault of A Graham, which seems to bear some dissimilarities with JtR MO).

Amitiés,
                              David

Comment

The next exciting instalment - on 23 April, George Kebbell responds. (It would be interesting to see the "articles appearing in various of the London daily newspapers" commenting on Grant's case "within the last few years". Cf Grant's statement, quoted in Forbes Winslow's book, that his solicitor "ever since then" [1895] "has been publishing letters in the press to the same effect" [i.e. that he was Jack the Ripper].)

"JACK THE RIPPER."

SIR,-Dr. Forbes Winslow in last night's "Pall Mall Gazette" asks why the writer has kept the secret for twenty years. It was no secret at the time, and even within the last few years there have been articles appearing in various of the London daily newspapers commenting on the case of the man defended by the writer, and recognising that this man was the murderer.

Dr. Winslow adds: The professional etiquette existing between solicitor and client can be no reason for my remaining silent; but he can rest assured that if the information had come to me from my client; and my client alone, the secret would have died with me. I have simply stated what was common knowledge.

After reading Dr. Winslow's letter, the one thing that astonished me was to note that he admits that I am entitled to "an opinion."

However, the most remarkable suggestion Dr. Winslow up to the present has made is that Jack the Ripper wore rubber-soled shoes "to enable him to walk about without making a noise." I suppose it never occurred to Dr. Winslow that if anything would ensure the marked attention of the police it would be a man walking about the East End late at night in silent shoes.-Your obedient servant,

GEORGE KEBBELL.

57, Gracechurch-street, E.C., April 22.

Comment

Working...
                                X