Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the first published suspect book overlooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the first published suspect book overlooked?

Hello all,

The first book that was published with a name attached to a suspect for the Whitechapel murders was self published by the author before the end of 1888. In it, the case for Vasiliev as Jack is laid out.

Seems to me that something this close in time to the actual investigations might have some valuable insights, and since to this day no-one has discovered where exactly he was, having been seen heading for London after his release from prison in France in early 1888....(for murdering prostitutes with a knife no less)....he should be considered one of the primary suspects at least.

Funny though that the memorandum defers to someone who was incarcerated at the time of the murders and someone who happened to commit suicide after Marys murder, along with the traditional drooling homeless maniac many have chosen to adopt as their own Jack. None of the three have the same pedigree for these cases like Vasiliev, in fact none of the three mentioned had any history with knives and prostitutes.

How did the first suspect become apparently non-viable within 6 months?
    Last edited by Michael W Richards; 05-29-2017, 12:31 PM.
    Michael Richards

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    How did the first suspect become apparently non-viable within 6 months?
    Possibly because he didn't exist.

As I understand it, the story hasn't been substantiated, no records of Wassili have been found at the University of Odessa, no report of the murders he's supposed to have committed in France have been found, and The Star (17 November 1888) reported M. Gustave Macé, head of the Sureté, as saying ‘No such person committed murders in Paris in 1872’. Anyinformation to the contrary would be greatly welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
      Possibly because he didn't exist.

As I understand it, the story hasn't been substantiated, no records of Wassili have been found at the University of Odessa, no report of the murders he's supposed to have committed in France have been found, and The Star (17 November 1888) reported M. Gustave Macé, head of the Sureté, as saying ‘No such person committed murders in Paris in 1872’. Anyinformation to the contrary would be greatly welcomed.
      That's the same as I've been able to find to date.

If anyone can provide any more he would fly to the top of the list.

But alas....
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
      X