Does anyone know when he died?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know when he died?

Does anyone know when he died and what happened to him after Kelly's murder?
    Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Hi there, Dark!
    As far as I know, Joe died in 1926 aged 68, three weeks after his wife Louisa...

Comment

Yeah I found out the same day I wrote this. I just didn't know how to delete the post, LOL. But thank you.
      Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

May I suggest you try and get hold of Paul Harrison's Jack the Ripper- Mystery Solved that explores Barnett and his connections to the case.

I paid next to nothing for my copy, a few years back, but only got round to reading it this week!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
          May I suggest you try and get hold of Paul Harrison's Jack the Ripper- Mystery Solved that explores Barnett and his connections to the case.

I paid next to nothing for my copy, a few years back, but only got round to reading it this week!
          Mike, in your opinion, is Barnett a credible suspect? I personally don't think so
          I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
            Mike, in your opinion, is Barnett a credible suspect? I personally don't think so
            Just wondering how others see Barnett.

I see him as basically a good guy -- anyone's thoughts on that.

curious

Comment

Barnett is a respectable suspect, but ultimately I don't see any reason to think that he was anything other than a nice, rather naive bloke.

Apart from Paley's book, the other Barnett books worth reading are "Catch Me When You Can" by Leanne Perry, and "Unfortunates" by Shannon Christopher.

I don't know about Harrison's book. Here's the Casebook review :

Comment

A lot of the information in Harrison's tome is taken from friends and former work mates who said "Barnett could have been the ripper"

His theory for Barnett as the ripper covers only 27 pages of a 196 page book, and most of this is conjecture and information from sources at Scotland Yard!

I have the other works, but have only read the Bruce Paley book, The Simple Truth, and only re-read Harrison's book as it had a small section on Stephenson.
                Regards Mike

Comment

...and Harrison identified the wrong Joseph Barnett.

Comment

I just finished reading Bruce Paley's book. I am still not sure if I would find him a credible suspect, however, after reading the book, I have some thoughts that he possibly could have been the killer. But, then again maybe not. He seemed like he really and truly loved Mary. I can't imagine him doing those terrible things to her.

Comment

Nor can I. The motive seems all wrong - especially for the pre-Kelly murders. But she had been eating fish and we know that Joe may have been dismissed for stealing fish.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                        Nor can I. The motive seems all wrong - especially for the pre-Kelly murders. But she had been eating fish and we know that Joe may have been dismissed for stealing fish.

Steve.
                        So Mary died of food poisoning? (Barnett lost his job in July)
                        Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                        - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

There was a suggestion that Joe Barnett took up with one of the women who gave evidence at Mary Jane Kelly's inquest - in fact very shortly afterwards. He married Louisa but she could have been using another name at the time of the murder - and was in one of the properties at Miller's Court at the time.

Have others heard this?

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
                            There was a suggestion that Joe Barnett took up with one of the women who gave evidence at Mary Jane Kelly's inquest - in fact very shortly afterwards. He married Louisa but she could have been using another name at the time of the murder - and was in one of the properties at Miller's Court at the time.

Have others heard this?
                            Yep.

Theres a pretty long thread on it somewhere.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There's one discussion on it dating way back to 2009.

Joe's background has also been discussed (under his name) in JTRF.

I can't remember where I read it but there was a pretty searing short Press account about Joe's demeanour, written at the time of Mary's inquest. It describes him being 'comforted' after Mary's death with female company, including one notorious woman of bad reputation. It's pretty sarcastic stuff, and doesn't sound much like the Joe who apparently left in a huff because his girlfriend was sheltering an unfortunate friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X