Limerick, the Key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limerick, the Key?

If the only true thing Mary said was her birthplace then that's where one should start. I don't think she lied about that, most people have an attachment to their roots and if she had come from another part of Ireland she would have been found out and its all we have.
    So PRESUMING she originates from Limerick, suppose she had another name, common in Limerick but had a family connection to Kelly.
    The first twenty common names in Limerick in 19th century are as follows [ in order of number of households]
    1 Ryan 2 O'Brien 3 Fitzgerald 4 Conners 5 Hayes 6 Walsh 7 Sullivan 8 Moloney 9 Burke 10 Murphy 11 Kelly 12 Mcnamara 13 O'Donell 14 Sheehan 15 Connell 16 Collins 17 McCarthy 18 Carroll 19 Hogan 20 Lynch

Now suppose one found a family in Limerick that fitted the criteria and went to WALES and one could find a brother in the Scots Guards that could crack if.
    For example I looked at Ryan, O Brien Limerick births, nothing stood out, but I found the family of John Conners married to Mary Kelly,and several children born in Limerick, Mary, born 1865, Ellen born 1867 William 1869 James 1870 Patrick 1871 Bridget 1873 Thomas 1875.
    I don think its her family no welsh connection, although there were Conners in Wales but the point is that Kelly could have been her mothers name or there could be a family with other including welsh connections
    If there are any Scots Guards born in Limerick of the right age and is one of those twenty names, then it might be possible to trace the soldier back to his roots and siblings.
    Just a thought.
    Miss Marple
    Last edited by miss marple; 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM.

Hi MM.
    A few weeks ago I generated a list of all the men in the Scots Guards where the index gives their place of birth as Limerick between 1850 and 1870, or no place of birth is given in the index. I can expand the birthdate parameters later.

The list has 641 names and only one of those shows his place of birth in the index as Limerick, the rest are unknowns so to find the birthplace involves trawling through the whole file.

Generally this info would appear on the first page of the file but the reason so many of the birthplaces weren't indexed is because the bio sheet appears further in the file and is not the first page.

I'm half way through the list and still haven't come across any other man from Limerick apart from the one listed. If i do come across any more I'll post the details here.

Comment

Thanks Debs. Its an impossible task, but then so is everything else. I will look into the origins of any Limerick Scots guard age between 18 and 30 in 1888, if any crop up.
      Who is the one born in Limerick?

Miss Marple

Comment

Anything is worth a go, MM.
        There are entries in the index that have obviously been mis-transcribed Lanark as Limerick, luckily I know a lot of Lanark parishes fairly well so can spot them. It got me thinking that I should also check soldiers indexed as born in Lanark County when the Parish isn't obviously a Lanark one.

Here's the biographical details of the first Limerick born man:

John Ward
        born Askeaton Limerick 1856
        labourer
        Married to Margaret O'Connor at St Finbarr,Cork, 2nd Sept. 1882
        witnesses to marriage- Daniel O'Connor and Jeremiah O'Keeffe
        attested 1877 discharged 1889

Comment

Debs

You definatley dont want Kelly to be anyone other than Marie Jeanette do you ?

Comment

Trev., if you had paid even the slightest bit of attention to what I've been posting on this, the Scot's Guards thread or the Bridget Kelly in Chatham thread or the Brymbo Kelly thread...or any other bloody Kelly thread you'd KNOW that is the total opposite of what I think!

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
              Trev., if you had paid even the slightest bit of attention to what I've been posting on this, the Scot's Guards thread or the Bridget Kelly in Chatham thread or the Brymbo Kelly thread...or any other bloody Kelly thread you'd KNOW that is the total opposite of what I think!
              Well it seems to me having seen so many Kellys before my eyes that you are trying to prove she was who Barnet said she was. If i have misconstrued your long the way you are conducting your reserached then accept my humblest apologies

Comment

You obviously saw me posting on a lot of different Kelly threads recently and just assumed, without actually reading anything I wrote, right?

I'd probably accept the apology if I could understand it!

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                  You obviously saw me posting on a lot of different Kelly threads recently and just assumed, without actually reading anything I wrote, right?

I'd probably accept the apology if I could understand it!
                  Perhaps it hasnt been just me but in any event credit where credit is due I admire you tenacity

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                    Perhaps it hasnt been just me but in any event credit where credit is due I admire you tenacity
                    So you're just the spokesperson for one or more others who also can't be bothered to read what I write either?

It is sometimes possible to disprove certain parts of a story through research, too, you know?

Comment

Debs,

For what it's worth, I read what you post, enjoy your enthusiasm and dedication and have fallen madly in love with you... in a non-threatening and perfectly...um... normal? er, fashion.

Mike
                      huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                        Debs,

For what it's worth, I read what you post, enjoy your enthusiasm and dedication and have fallen madly in love with you... in a non-threatening and perfectly...um... normal? er, fashion.

Mike
                        I also read your posts and am very glad you find them, interpret them and share them!

thanks for the hard work.

Comment

Debs,

Mike
                          Mike, you're assuming I would recognise 'normal' and that your flattery won't unleash the inner stalker in me?

Thanks Curious.

Comment

Debs,

I don't assume anyone on this site recognizes normalcy...except for me. As far as stalking, Kazakhstan is far away.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

Debs,

I don't assume anyone on this site recognizes normalcy...except for me.
                              Mike
                              Unfortunately, I very much suspect that you are correct -- except I wonder about thee.

Comment

Working...
                              X