A Bible In Georgia Is Dripping Healing Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    The plagues and the parting of the Red Sea are (allowing for an element of hyperbole) capable of logical explanation - volcanic eruption and the after-effects thereof.
    Fire doesn't mix with hail and run along the ground, and no disease selectively kills only the first-born son. So, whilst some of the plagues might have been explicable with hyperbole, these two seem to have been entirely made up.

The Red Sea parting is, as I'm sure you know, a mistranslation of Yam Suf (Reed Sea). That being the case, it probably wasn't meant to depict the thunderous walls of water splendidly imagined by Cecil B de Mille, but a slightly less cinematic crossing of marshland.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Fire doesn't mix with hail and run along the ground, and no disease selectively kills only the first-born son. So, whilst some of the plagues might have been explicable with hyperbole, these two seem to have been entirely made up.

The Red Sea parting is, as I'm sure you know, a mistranslation of Yam Suf (Reed Sea). That being the case, it probably wasn't meant to depict the thunderous walls of water splendidly imagined by Cecil B de Mille, but a slightly less cinematic crossing of marshland.
      exactly-the Hebrews, not having horses and chariots were able to get across, but the egyptions who did, got stuck in the mud. the tide may have come in too.
      Last edited by Abby Normal; 08-29-2018, 11:13 AM.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Sam,

There is also the completely bogus claim that chariots and swords have been found at the bottom of the Red Sea.

c.d.

Comment

Doesn't the theory go that the firstborn sons got the lion's share when food was scarce, and so were worst affected when grain supplies became contaminated (possibly by ergot).

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
            Doesn't the theory go that the firstborn sons got the lion's share when food was scarce, and so were worst affected when grain supplies became contaminated (possibly by ergot).
            I've heard that idea but I'm not convinced that this custom really did exist or, even if it did, that it explains this most selective of plagues anyway. Even getting the non-lion's share of poisoned food would be bad news, whether one were the firstborn or not.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I think there could be partial (natural) explanations like the parting of the red sea for a lot of the miracles as well as them being symbolic-like how Jesus parables were.

for example-the feeding of the five thousand. I don't think the fish and bread literally multiplied-but that jesus gave everyone small part of what they had and started teaching about "the bread of life " etc. and it became a literal miracle when written down.

re his healing the sick-i think alot of this could be literally true. Its a proven sceintific fact that placebos work, mind over matter, power of suggestion etc.

add to that that he would not shun the "impure" like lepers and by welcoming them back into the fold so to speak healed them figuratively.

now-walking on water and turning water into wine-well I think those were probably made up whole cloth.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

With respect to the feeding of the 5,000, someone pointed out that the Romans never would have allowed a crowd that size to assemble which makes sense.

Also, with no McDonalds or other options, people back then out for the day would most likely have brought their own food with them.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                X