Now Showing: Union Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Showing: Union Jack

if this has been discussed in the past, then consider this thread as just another log for your virtual fireplace.

Could Metro have been looking for the wrong set of soldiers?

From 19 July until 8 December 1888, the Adelphi Theatre performed the play UNION JACK. The particulars of the story & plot are a mystery to me still; however, a listing of the cast drew my attention:

Jack Medway (sailor): William Terriss; Sir Philip Yorke (an army contractor): J[ames] D. Beveridge; Captain Morton (army officer): Charles M. Cartwright; Lieutenant Stanley (army officer): Laurence Cautley; Peter Fly (sailor): J[ohn] L. Shine; Tom Chuckle (soldier): Dalton Somers; John Stone (Sir Philip Yorke's servant): Howard Russell; Tim O'Grady (Stanley's servant): Harry Halley; Joseph Tomkins (sergeant of marines): Harwood Cooper; Benjamin Bolt (ship's corporal): Charles Douglas orphan sisters and wards of Sir Philip Yorke Ethel Arden: Miss [Jessie] Millward; Ivy Arden: Miss Helen
    Forsyth Ruth Medway (Jack Medway's sister): Miss Olga I. Nethersole; Mrs. Stone (wife of Stone): Miss Eleanor Bufton; Mrs. Pippin (widow): Miss Dolores Drummond; Polly Pippin (her daughter): Miss Clara Jecks

I have included the picture that appeared in The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News, Aug 11, 1888, p. 662 for comparable review of the soldier,s uniforms. Of particular interest were the afixed bayonets. Personally I have no knowledge of the type of uniforms that were worn by the men who met with Polly and Marta that fateful night.

* This thread was reached after reading up on Israel Schwartz in The Star. The comment was made that he appeared to be a theatrical man. This point launched the remembrance of the theatricality within this case; primarily, The Ripper,s wardrobe, ,,hands like a clerk,, &c.
    Attached Files
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Hi Robert,

Speaking as a "theatrical man" man myself I can add that in professional productions military clothes seen on stage are almost always theatrical costumes and never real uniforms.

With Amateur productions there is obviously a little more leeway...someone may bring along an old army uniform to be used, but it is still quite rare.

Up close these costumes are usually pretty obviously costumes and I doubt they would fool any genuine military person.
    My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

From a review of the Union Jack in The Era, 21 July 1888, p. 8, the plot can be summarised as follows:
      Captain Morton is blackmailing Sir Philip Yorke, with a view to marrying his ward, Ethel Arden. Jack Medway, a poor petty officer, falls in love with Ethel. Jack's sister, Ruth, is seduced by Morton. Jack attacks Morton and is subjected to a court martial. Sir Philip kills Morton and is arrested, leaving Jack free to marry Ethel.

Comment

I think Robert is more interested in the mention of Marines in the play than the play itself, which sounds like a typical Victorian melodrama. Does anyone know if Marines had their own barracks when ashore? How did their uniforms differ from those of regular army soldiers?
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

thank you, pat, yes, you,re correct about my observation. plus i thought the poster was eerie with Ripper themes that predate The Illustrated,s front pages... with bodies laying about, soldiers with bayonets, a man in a tie with a collared shirt...
          i underlined the role of the corporal; wasn,t martha seen with a corporal and another soldier?

as for authenticity of props, directordave, george r sims will cowrite the play that will appear later that winter... along with UNION JACK. with his usual babble of being assumed to be the man seen at the coffee shop (an account which he has his DAGONET repeat over and over thru his career), he does mention taking an actual knife (in a black bag, no less) to the theatre for its prop use. this isn,t mentioned to assign any culpability to sims, only the subtle mention that London theatre may have stretched into The Authentic in 1888.
          Are you a theatre director? That would be an awesome career.
          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Hi again Robert,

My directing is in film and video, but I've done a fair bit of acting with my local troupe (Oldest dramatic society in Scotland!).

There is also the rule to consider here that an actor must never be seen in costume front of house...an actor never travels to or from a performance in costume...the theatre takes it edicate more serious than golf does!

If you're interested in theatre get in contact with your local amdram group, it's great fun.

Beware however...I've found that actors can drink like Coldstream Guards don't try to keep up with them at the first (which is sometimes also the last) night party.
            My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Working...
            X