No announcement yet.

The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purely in the realm of theory, a Level 5 would be a slaying that no-one ever suspected was a murder, that is other than the killer.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      I think I'd put all the Scottish "Not Proven" murder verdicts in Level 1, the second example (B Category), but I can only remember two, Smith and Monson.
      Three if you count the verdict for Merrett's first murder. Same for his other slayings too because there was no trial but little doubt.

Stan Reid

Comment

Cases would move down in number more often than up but Sam Sheppard and Oscar Slater would be examples where the case level went to a higher number.
        I other words, when a conviction is overturned and never reinstated.

Stan Reid

Comment

I should add that missing and presumed murdered would go on whatever the proper level would be the same as if it was a known murder so, for instance, Judge Crater would be something like a Level 4.

Stan Reid

Comment

As I put over on jtrf, here's a group of examples with a JtR connection; the first half listed under accused and the others by victims:

William Bury

A-Israel Lipski
            B-Thomas Sadler

Emily Dimmock

Carrie Brown

Servant Girls

Stan Reid

Comment

Sadler was the one I was the most uneasy with but it was the best I could think of at the time. Maybe someone else can do better.

Stan Reid

Comment

The first two not only accused but convicted.

Stan Reid

Comment

The second 2 accused but not convicted and the fifth convicted but reversed then finally not even an arrest in the last case.

Stan Reid

Comment

To clarify, there were no arrests for the Austin Annihilator series but there were for some individual slayings listed as possibles in the group. Not even in those cases though was there a conviction that stood.

Stan Reid

Comment

More general examples:

0-Gary Ridgway

1-
                      A-Dr. H.H. Crippen
                      B-O.J. Simpson

2-Duff/Sidney Case

3-Villisca Ax Murders

4-Margery Wren Case

Stan Reid

Comment

Those examples are based on my perception of the consensus. Personally, I would probably put Crippen at a zero.

Stan Reid

Comment

To clarify, there were no arrests for the Austin Annihilator series but there were for some individual slayings listed as possibles in the group. Not even in those cases though was there a conviction that stood.
                          To be specific, the husbands of the last two victims were arrested but both proved their innocence.

Stan Reid

Comment

Crippen 0 yes, but I would put Robert Wood [ Emily Dimmock] at level 2. He was lucky to get off due to Marshall Hall and there was a lot of class bias in the case.
                            Before DNA an breakable chain of circumstantial evidence could convict, but it has to be unbreakable not just the odd coincidence, now its DNA. DNA has revolutionised convictions but motive. circumstance and opportunity are just as important
                            The Frederick Seddon case has always interested me, a level 1,although he was convicted of poisoning Eliza Barrow, there is no evidence that he did, nor that he had contact with arsenic. His wife was acquitted although she had more opportunity.He was very mean and shrewd about finance and certainly took control of her money and property to his advantage, but she trusted him and he did not cheat her with regards to the annuity he paid her.
                            Be interested to hear thoughts on this.
                            Miss Marple

Comment

Thanks Miss. Undoubtedly, there will be many differences of opinion.

Stan Reid

Comment

I don't think Wood at Level 2 could be too far off. Who else, Sickert? Her husband couldn't have done it although that doesn't mean he couldn't have put someone up to it. I think I would be less sure of Wood than Lizzie and for sure less than O.J.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X