Possible Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Connections

Does anyone happen to know who printed/published Thomas Conway's Books?
    Could it have been William Nichols?
    His marriage certificate in 1864 states he is a printer. It was stated in the London Daily News, September 1888, he was a Journeyman Printer.

If anyone has any information on this possible connection, please let me know...

Sluggo

Hi Sluggo,

William Nichols was working for Messrs. Perkins Bacon and Co. They mainly printed bank notes and postage stamps.(http://www.jjhc.info/perkinsbaconandco.htm) Jacob Perkins Bacon retired from the company in December, 1888 and died in 1890. William Nichols lived close to Conway, but I'm not sure that would mean they knew each other or Conway used his services. On the other hand, it may have been a small world.

Here is a map where I have marked locations of Thomas Conway, Nichols and Perkins Bacon and Co.(Nichols employer) in 1888.

Comment

Catharine and Thomas Conway seem to have moved around quite a bit. Their first child was born in Yarmouth, Norfolk, at the local workhouse. In the days of public hangings chapmen like Thomas would have made quite a little profit selling condemned cell 'confessions' and ballads about the murderer (composed by themselves) and would have used local printers to peel a couple of hundred of these masterpieces off to sell to the waiting crowds.

Comment

Working...
      X