No announcement yet.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ONLY relevant point is that, because the book was being dramatised in London?

The story of the book also takes place in London. And even worse, has major influences from the East End of London.

And it`s not surprising that the name Jack came from Jekyll.

TomTomKent I'm not talking about Stephenson but Stevenson... but I understand that it was a mistake.

I read a comment that even if it were proved that Stevenson was in London at the time of the crimes, that doesn`t prove that Robert was Jack.
    Indeed it`s true. But this theory would be seen from another perspective.

Until then, the identity of Jack still unknown because his alibi is simply perfect.

Comment

• The ONLY similarity between the book Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and the JtR crimes is that both took place in London. That's IT. Regardless of whether a play of the book was being staged at the time of the murders, the storyline of Jekyll and Hyde is COMPLETELY dissimilar to the JtR murders. Hyde did not kill any women, he carried out only one murder (a beating - with a stick) and he was not even a real person - just a character in a book.

Is anyone who writes crime fiction for a living a suspect in murder cases, just because they write grusome stories that happen to be set in a city where a murderer is on the loose?

Comment

• "The storyline of Jekyll and Hyde is COMPLETELY dissimilar to the JtR murders..."
        I said: The storyline of The Ebb-Tide is also COMPLETELY dissimilar to the JtR. But includes...

6 murders...
        3 letters...
        a adoption of an alias...
        a wall memorial of his passage...
        and include phrases like:
        "...cut your throat."
        "...the disfigured corpse..."
        "...the chamber of a murdered corpse..."
        "These are the diversions of a lonely man..."
        "There is your Whitechapel carrion!"
        "This is the way the tailor does, the tailor does."
        "...of the figure-head."
        and much more...

Comment

• Originally posted by jsantos View Post
          "The storyline of Jekyll and Hyde is COMPLETELY dissimilar to the JtR murders..."
          I said: The storyline of The Ebb-Tide is also COMPLETELY dissimilar to the JtR. But includes...

6 murders...
          3 letters...
          a adoption of an alias...
          a wall memorial of his passage...
          and include phrases like:
          "...cut your throat."
          "...the disfigured corpse..."
          "...the chamber of a murdered corpse..."
          "These are the diversions of a lonely man..."
          "There is your Whitechapel carrion!"
          "This is the way the tailor does, the tailor does."
          "...of the figure-head."
          and much more...
          Six murders? So unlike the Ripper case.
          Three letters? Why would that "prove" the Ripper? You assume, the Ripper wrote three of the many letters? Or given he probably wrote none why is it important? You realise how common letters were? As are the turns of phrase.

There is nothing in your list that might be mistaken for evidence. Just a subjective opinion vague enough that the same arguments can be made to Dickens work or the bible.
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

• If you can prove that were not committed six crimes by Jack the Ripper…

After studying the RLS life and work, several times, my opinion is always the same.

The ebb-tide describes various moments of RLS life. He believes that human beings have multiple personalities. And the ebb tide reveals a fictional story with content about his personal life.

Robert Herrick was the son of an intelligent, active and ambitious man (...) he was sent to a good school (...) With all his talent and taste (and he had much of both) Robert was deficient in consistency and intellectual manhood, wandered in bypaths of study (...) He had no head for figures, no interest in affairs, detested the constraint of hours, and despised the aims and the success of merchants. His career thenceforth was one of unbroken shame. (...) He was used to another life, to houses, beds, nursing, and the dainties of the sickroom (...) I got a ship. (...) out of San Francisco... and carry out the Samoa scheme hand over fist. AND MUCH MORE...

“…and from place to place and from town to town, he carried the character of one thoroughly incompetent. No man can bear the word applied to him without some flush of colour, as indeed there is none other that so emphatically slams in a man`s face the door of self-respect…” - Is proved by RLS letters that he was tired of the numerous criticisms of their works.

The Ebb-Tide is a confession, a fictional story with real facts. I don`t believe in coincidences...

Jack comes from Dr. Jekyll

"They say i`m a doctor now HA HA HA"

Comment

Why has no substance at all?

There are so many coincidences, like some people like to say, that RLS is a more credible suspect that most of the suspects mentioned here. Montague John Druitt committed suicide at the wrong time and becomes a major suspect! Someone invents a diary of James Maybrick and this becomes a major suspect! ...
              Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Mr. Jekyll was published in 1886. Whitechapel murders were 1888. In case you think he decided to act them out in 1888 he happens to have been out of town on a yacht, sailing the south seas.

"In June 1888 Stevenson chartered the yacht Casco and set sail with his family from San Francisco. The vessel "plowed her path of snow across the empty deep, far from all track of commerce, far from any hand of help. The sea air and thrill of adventure for a time restored his health, and for nearly three years he wandered the eastern and central Pacific, stopping for extended stays at the Hawaiian Islands, where he spent much time with and became a good friend of King Kalākaua. He befriended the king's niece, Princess Victoria Kaiulani, who also had a link to Scottish heritage. He spent time at the Gilbert Islands, Tahiti, New Zealand and the Samoan Islands. During this period he completed The Master of Ballantrae, composed two ballads based on the legends of the islanders, and wrote The Bottle Imp. He witnessed the Samoan crisis. He preserved the experience of these years in his various letters and in his In the South Seas (which was published posthumously) an account of the 1888 cruise which Stevenson and Fanny undertook on the Casco from the Hawaiian Islands to the Marquesas and Tuamotu islands." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Louis_Stevenson

"The Stevenson party--including Stevenson, his wife, his stepson, and his mother--chartered the yacht Casco and sailed southwest from San Francisco to the Marquesas Islands, the Paumotus, and the Society Islands, and thence northward from Tahiti to the Hawaiian Islands by December of 1888. They camped awhile in Honolulu, giving Stevenson time to visit Molokai's leper settlement and to finish his novel The Master of Ballantrae (1889). In June 1889 they set out southwest from Honolulu for the Gilbert Islands aboard the schooner Equator. From there in December 1889 the Stevensons traveled to the island of Upolu in Samoa."
              Attached Files

Comment

If you can prove that were not committed six crimes by Jack the Ripper…
                Nope. I'm out of this discussion as of now. There is a thing called burden of proof. If you want to make a claim you need to support it with evidence. The more extraordinary the claim, the more extraordinary the evidence you need.

If you want to add a sixth victim to the generally accepted five, then sure, it's possible. But I need a better reason than it makes a cleaner coincidence with a book.

You have it all backwards. You are presuming actual tangible evidence should be discounted to fit your fantasy. You have reached your conclusion despite the facts.

I see no reason to throw away good data because it doesn't fit your story. I see no reason to assume meagre scrapings of cherry picked quotes have any astounding meaning. Again, the same cherry picking can be applied to any other text.

If you don't believe in coincidences, then please, explain to my why the Wreck of the Titan is so close to that of the Titanic? Must it be a deliberate act? The laws of probability really don't care if you believe in them or not. Sometimes you think of people and they phone you. They weren't reading your mind. The quality of your coincidence is just ridiculous. There were letters? Really, one of the most popular forms of communication featured? And yet there is no reasonable comparison to be made between the letters? Astounding. By your logic Alan Moore is responsible for 9/11. Why? Because he happened to write Watchmen that not only features a military build up in Afghanistan, a ruse for using non-existant WMDs to achieve a political end, but also an attack on New York! True, the context of these fragments bares no relation to the reality, but by your logic...

I'm out. Bye.
                Last edited by TomTomKent; 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM.
                There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

• Beowulf you are absolutely right...
                  "Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Mr. Jekyll was published in 1886. Whitechapel murders were 1888."

And The Ebb-Tide in 1894.

"In case you think he decided to act them out in 1888 he happens to have been out of town on a yacht, sailing the south seas."
                  "In June 1888 Stevenson chartered the yacht Casco and set sail with his family from San Francisco..."

Well, just two months before the crimes... Best alibi is impossible.
                  "I got a ship. (...) out of San Francisco..." - In RLS book "The Ebb-Tide" (COINCIDENCE Ship out of San Francisco!!! like RLS ship "Casco"!)
                  "...and carry out the Samoa scheme hand over fist." - In RLS book "The Ebb-Tide"
                  Just goes to show what I have said. The Ebb-Tide is based on real facts of RLS life.
                  There is a part of the book in which Robert says he works in this farce.

Why no one could prove that someone was jack?

TomTomKent thanks for your opinion.

Comment

• Unlike many people, I don`t want to be famous or any kind of recognition.
                    I`m just one person interested in the Jack`s true story.
                    And I bring here, a new perspective.
                    Which evidently a lot of people disagree.
                    Anyway, an alibi as I described here can or cant be one of the reasons for the Jack the Ripper identity still unknown?

Comment

Working...
                    X