No announcement yet.

The Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last I heard, death toll is at 17. A miniscule fraction of Katrina's toll, but of course every death is a tragedy. I am 1500 miles from the storm but I wish everyone in its path luck, grace, and blessings.

Comment

It's bad. The waters did not recede with the tide as they had hoped. There are still waters up to 13 ft. high. Manhattan and Brooklyn are radio silent, and have been since about 10 last night. I have a lot of friends who disappeared last night and no one has heard from since. I'm sure they are fine, but the continuing silence is wearing to say the least.

Fortunately I know one of my friends at least is serving cocktails off her balcony to passing boaters. Except for rescue personnel. They get coffee heated on her grill. She said she was going to, and I've seen pictures of her signature decorated solo cups. So one down. 14 to go.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I'm thinking of you all and praying for your safety.

Love Julie

Comment

New York City crane collapse causes evacuations

Examiner has transformed into a major player in financial news. Think stocks, crypto, banks - if it's about money, it's on Examiner.com.

Atlantic City Boardwalk gone:

Get breaking national and world news, broadcast video coverage, and exclusive interviews. Find the top news online at ABC news.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Beowulf; 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

it said on the BBC that the New york stock exchange is opening tomorrow...the first time it has been shut for 2 days since 1888 !! could that have been when everyone was out tracking Tumblety on his return ..........

Comment

Marmaroneck

My eldest son and his wife lives in Marmaroneck, about 20 mins by subway, North /North East of the centre of NYC, out by the coast.
              He and his wife travelled North to friends for safety. Sandbags around his home etc before he left.

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Death toll is now approaching 40, and is bound to go up as the waters recede. Explosions and fires all over New York, 15 feet of water in the subway tunnels, apartment buildings collapsed, houses washed out into streets, a Jersey Shore roller coaster washed out to sea. It's a full scale disaster movie come to life.

Comment

The outer edges of the storm are hitting Chicago by way of the great lakes. The lakes are so massive that wind from the east coast has moved across the lakes with nothing to slow or stop the impact, so 60 mph winds have basically closed the great lakes. No one figured on 20 foot waves hitting Chicago this far inland from an east coast storm, but they have.
                  I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Sleek, I think the waves only reached 9ft. Some locals surfed them even.
                    I haven't seen any pics yet, only of a 6ft closeout shorebreak on Lakeshore Drive.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Latest death toll- 72.

Comment

My niece has come through the storm OK. Though she's staying in Brooklyn, her hotel has been able to keep the power on. She's checking on our other relatives, who live in some of the hardest hit areas, like Rockaway Beach, close to Breezy Point.

God bless all the people trying to live in wrecked houses, as it looks like a nor'easter is headed for them next week. Hope they can at least get the power back on so shelters will be warm.

Best regards,
                        Archaic

Comment

Comment

"Meteorologist Andrew Krein with the National Weather Service said such high winds over the lake typically come with strong winter storms.

"The more unprecedented thing about this is that it's the outskirts of a former tropical system," he said. "... That's very unusual. The fact that the system is covering such a large area. I can't recall another system like this."

Across the lake in Michigan, winds gusting to 64 mph sent two-story-tall waves crashing onto the shoreline. The thrill of the big surf attracted Cameron Mammina to the waterfront at St. Joseph, where he took his board out among the churning waves Tuesday."
                            Read the latest headlines, news stories, and opinion from Politics, Entertainment, Life, Perspectives, and more.

Yeah, people were out surfing in that mess.
                            I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                            Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

surfable storm

Seen that report too, Sleek. The shorebreak in the pic hitting the area beyond Lakeshore Drive is hardly 9ft. Which makes it plausible that the outside stuff might have been 15-18ft.
                              By the by, I've swam 12ft and have been close enough to touch 18ft, with my friends surfing it. If you wanna go into www.google.fr and type "La Gravière". On my desk I keep my USB sticks inside of a shell fished out at La Gravière.
                              Storm waves? For some peeps, always attractive...
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

My cousin that narrowly survived being in the World Trade Center on 9/11 lost his home to Hurricane Sandy.

I feel so sorry for him and his wife, and all the other victims.

Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X