No announcement yet.

Galloway and the Blotchy Faced Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too true, Sam, and I get hooked every time. Hell, I've even caused it to happen now and then, but only now and then, so I'm a culprit. I'll try to do better. It's an addiction.

I hold to my view that at least for a while the police were distracted by Hutch's statement and description, incomplete though it was, as SPE amply points out here on CBook.
    Last edited by Celesta; 02-12-2009, 04:20 AM.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Re: Hutch spreading like Kudzu

Don't be too hard on yourself Celesta, we all do it. We must seek kind and gentle ways of facing the problem. See this - (click)

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Thanks, Roy. I'll be kinder to myself. I live in the land of kudzu. We have a great time down here laughing about kudzu. It grows like mad and will take over everything. We've got dirt down here nobody's seen in decades! It's true that goats love it. A friend of mine wanted to dig up some kudzu to take up to Ohio and plant it outside her evil sister-in-law's bedroom. She wanted to train it through the bedroom window in hopes it would strangle her sister-in-law during the night. I had to patiently explain that it doesn't grow quite that fast. It would probably take about 6 days or a week.

I used to swear that someday someone would prove that that vine was the cure to some disease and that the South would get rich harvesting it. So far, I've only seen it made into tea.

So, yes, Hutch spreads like kudzu.

Best,

Cel
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

So, yes, Hutch spreads like kudzu.
          If only the comparison ended there, Cel:

Comment

Ben I am pleased with your good humor, and know you have been to Carolina and seen it with your own eyes.

But I read this: Kudzu, which is native to Asia, was introduced in the United States in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition - Aha !! - this is an evil plot from the dastardly Howard (Philly Cheesesteak) Brown and his minions over at Forum. Frought with Casebook envy they have sicked the evil vine on us.

By the way, what's the dress code over at How's shop?

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hey Ben,

Kudzu is indeed a strangler and a killer. So it does bear a resemblance to...ahem! But we still make jokes about it!

It does need to be gotten under control, esp when it gets started in a wooded area.

Hey Roy,

I expect you're dressed about right. Casual dress works, although I have seen a Victorian gent or lady there on occasion. Okay...well, they were Steampunks, but that's sort of Victorian.

Doesn't seem like anyone has much to say about Galloway today.
              Last edited by Celesta; 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Ode to Blotchy

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                I think you'll find that has been discussed on various Hutchinson threads, Shell. Since the Blotchy Faced Man gets so few threads of his own, it might be better not to introduce the fiendish Hutchinson onto this one. Trust me - mention the "H" word and all hell breaks loose, no matter what the subject of the original discussion

(Aside: Benedict... bite your tongue, sir!)
                Oh, Poor Blotchy, your subject is slotchy with a face that could.....erm...A face,

Well, any ideas to how his face became blotchy? Walter Sickerts mishap paintings any one?

Comment

Hi all
                  His skin might have become blotchy due to alcohol.
                  When some people's faces flush it's not always the whole of the face that goes red.
                  If he drank a lot his face might have flushed but not totally, only in patches.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    Hi Martin
                    many thanks for the message
                    I must admit to being puzzled by this point. The only construct I could put upon it was based on the sentence
                    The constable positively declined to arrest the man, saying that he was looking for a man of very different appearance
                    This would suggest that any man resembling the blotchy faced man (as not matching the current description in the frame) had been effectively discounted from the investigation. As Mary Cox's testimony featured a man of just this description it would have no bearing on the Kelly death as he did not match the appearance to which the police were then working.
                    Chris
                    Hi Chris,

I think the key here is the timing, Astrakan not Blotchy Face is being actively sought from late on the 12th until the 16th, this article is the 17th, and rank and file Patrolmen may not have been briefed that Hutchinson has turned out to be some kind of fraud yet.

As to Fidos comments, I believe that this story does in fact corroborate Mary Ann Cox, whose suspect seen with Mary that night becomes the replacement for Astrakan. I believe it went cold with that as the official working thesis.

This may be a coincidental slip up in the investigation of Mary Kelly's murder, but I dont think a missed opportunity to nab Jack.

Best regards all.

Comment

This was after all the only murder where the authorities issued documentation suggesting more than one man involved with the killing, if not the actual murder.

Cheers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                        On approaching Thrawl Street, a policeman on point duty suddenly appeared. The man was evidently startled, and for a moment it looked as though he would turn back or cross the road. He recovered himself, however, and went on. I then informed the constable of what I had seen, and pointed out the man's extraordinary resemblance to the individual described by Cox. The constable positively declined to arrest the man, saying that he was looking for a man of very different appearance."
                        Wouldn't the constable be required to stay on that very spot on point duty?

Roy
                        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                          Wouldn't the constable be required to stay on that very spot on point duty?

Roy
                          Not positive on this Roy, but I think the apprehension of the murderer at large would supercede the remain at your station edict, if not, immediate notification of any relevant sighting would be mandatory I would think.

This episode shows that Astrakan was at that time their number one suspect for Marys murder, and as a by-product since she is believed killed by Jack, the most wanted man in London.

Very soon thereafter that changes back to Blotchy face, leading one to conclude that Mary Ann Cox was deemed to be accurate and truthful and Hutchinson was not.

All the best Roy

Comment

Didn't Thomas Cutbush have a blotchy face?

Comment

surely if we are to believe Mary Cox's version(which is believeable) she states that blotchy went in MJK room at 11.45am,and after she went out again till 1.00am, MJK was still singing in her room.
                              This dont add up if blotchy is the killer(Jack) would he really wait at least 1hour 15 mins before doing the deed?

Please be gentle with me if i am way out of line,as i am a newbee to this.lol

Comment

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
                                blotchy went in MJK room at 11.45am,and after she went out again till 1.00am, MJK was still singing in her room. This dont add up if blotchy is the killer(Jack) would he really wait at least 1hour 15 mins before doing the deed?
                                I don't think it's entirely out of the question, Dixon. Perhaps, in previous murders, Jack was forced to employ a "quick-strike" because of the open surroundings in which he found himself - a restriction which didn't apply in Miller's Court.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X