Received on Hanbury Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received on Hanbury Street

This thread is devoted to discussion about the following article appearing in the North Eastern Daily Gazette. It was received on 2 October 1888 by a man living at 29 Hanbury Street. Anyone know who the man is?

This kind of reminds me of the Yarmouth letter discussed on another thread.

North Eastern Daily Gazette
    United Kingdom
    3 October 1888

ANOTHER MYSTERIOUS COMMUNICATION

The authorities have not yet decided whether they will photograph the letter and post card received by the Central News, and publish copies with a view to discover the writer, who, it will be remembered, professes to be the murderer. It is somewhat curious that a man, who lives at the house, 29 Hanbury street, where Annie Chapman was found murdered, received yesterday morning a copy of Monday's Liverpool Daily Post with the letter and post card referred to marked in blue pencil. The newspaper was wrapped in an ordinary stamped cover, and was addressed to "Jack the Ripper, Hanbury street, London, E.C." The paper was posted in Liverpool on October 1st, and the postmark is numbered 466. On the reverse side of the wrapper was written, "Dear Jack, I send you this paper, and hope you will come to Liverpool as I am an associate of yours. K.T. Please reply to 39 Pitt street." The paper was immediately handed over to the police, with whom it remains.

Thanks Robert,

There was also a Pitt Street in Kensington. The Liverpool Pitt St. makes more sense since the package came from there, but I wouldn't discount the Kensington address. It may have been the address of Hornton Lodge (still searching) and of interest is the following thread, post #40, here on casebook. Look at the title of the thread.

Discussion of the letters and communications allegedly sent by the Ripper to the press, police and public.

I was wondering if the Hanbury man was either John Richardson or John Davis that received the letter?

Comment

Hi Jerry

I've looked in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. The usual crazy numbering system. Maybe the postmen understood it, provided they were on LSD.
      Anyway, in 1891 Richard E Webster, barrister and MP, was at Hornton Lodge, Pitt Street, Kensington, and is listed as between nos 3 and 6 Pitt St.

Comment

Ah, Thanks Robert!

I thought I read somewhere yesterday it was between no. 3 and 9, (odds) thus the 39.

Isn't, 39, Richard Nunweek's favorite number cropping up again? heh

Comment

My guess is that someone based in Liverpool decided to enact a stupid joke, wrote a Pitt St address on the wrapper and sent it to the man who had discovered Chapman's body, John Davis. All the hoax letters and parcels whizzing around the country kept the Post Office busy, at least!

Comment

Working...
          X