Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates, or opinions on this witness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Man that I saw..."

What about Hutch's statement "The man that I saw did not look like he would attack another one."? Was he psychic? That is only if you are in the belief that JTR was done after Kelly (which I am not). That to me at least, was probably one of the strangest things that he said. I can't make heads or tails of it?? Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by RedBundy13 View Post
      What about Hutch's statement "The man that I saw did not look like he would attack another one."? Was he psychic? That is only if you are in the belief that JTR was done after Kelly (which I am not). That to me at least, was probably one of the strangest things that he said. I can't make heads or tails of it?? Anyone else?
      I've never read about Hutchinson saying that. Do you have a source for it?
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Hi Pat, that quote was from Hutchinson's press interview published on 14th Nov..
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It's just another way of saying he looked harmless.
          It was typical for the time that a villain must look like a monster. Surprisingly, some theorists today believe the same. The killer had to be some rough, Neanderthal-type creature, from a lodginghouse.
          He couldn't possibly have been respectably dressed, with his own room, etc. etc.
          Which is very similar to saying that the killer had to be a foreigner, no Englishman could possibly do such a heinous crime. Which was also claimed at the time.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Red
            Just another one of Hutchs anomalies in his story. This after saying he looked at him(hutch) surly, was carrying a knife sized package and was sinister villain with curled up mustache and everything.

I think it was hutchs way of getting out of why (if he had said the man was suspicious or dangerous) he didn't do anything to protect his "friend".

one of the strangest things to me hutch said was all the business of the red hankercheif. He goes on about it and being red. me thinks he dost protest too much.

I think hutch may have left his red hanky in her room.
            Last edited by Abby Normal; 07-02-2018, 06:47 AM.
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I think Hutch is saying that the man didn't look like the violent type and wouldn't attack another person, rather than that he wouldn't attack another prostitute after Mary....ie he didn't look dangerous so Hutch didn't fear for Mary's life.

Comment

What about Hutch's statement "The man that I saw did not look like he would attack another one."
                As Stephen Senise has pointed out, Hutchinson's description may owe more than a little to the widely-published description of Leather Apron, who "never by any chance attacks a man". The description contains a number of other features which might have found their way into Hutchinson's account.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  Hutchinson is one of the better witness-cum-suspects.
                  - He claimed to know the victim (some believe MJK’s overkill suggests intimacy/familiarity)
                  - He loitered at the crime-scene
                  - He only came forward after the inquest
                  - He came up with an overly detailed foreign suspect (racial motive? GSG?)
                  As to the points above Harry;

-claimed to know victim, with zero corroboration
                  -claimed to have loitered where Sarahs claimed Wideawake Hat man was seen
                  -came forward 4 days after the murder, of what he claims was his "friend"
                  -his detail of the man he alleges he saw is at the very least "embellished", at the most, fabricated whole cloth.
                  Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    As Stephen Senise has pointed out, Hutchinson's description may owe more than a little to the widely-published description of Leather Apron, who "never by any chance attacks a man". The description contains a number of other features which might have found their way into Hutchinson's account.
                    No doubt based in part on the erroneous belief that a lying witness can't possibly invent his own description.

And then there's Abberline thinking, 'didn't we read some of that in the press somewhere?', where Hutch responds with "oh right govn'r, I never thought anyone read those papers besides me...."

Really?
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      No doubt based in part on the erroneous belief that a lying witness can't possibly invent his own description.
                      Who's saying that Hutchinson couldn't have been inventive? Certainly not me.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Senise apparently, and this belief is not original. We've read it on Casebook for many years.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

UFO sightings in the various "flaps" (steady, Fish!) of the latter third of the last century differed in some points of detail, however certain elements of the "witness" accounts remained similar. So we have cigar-shaped craft moving silently at great speed across the sky, tall beings in silver suits with big eyes and domed heads... etc. Of course, these exciting details were the ones most widely reported by the tabloid press and on TV, which might explain why they turned up in so many different people's stories.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Senise apparently, and this belief is not original. We've read it on Casebook for many years.
                            Perhaps because it's eminently plausible, and appears to be supported by parallels found in published descriptions of suspects which preceded Hutchinson's statement by days, if not weeks.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I've always thought that George Hutchinson was an invention.
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Perhaps because it's eminently plausible, and appears to be supported by parallels found in published descriptions of suspects which preceded Hutchinson's statement by days, if not weeks.
                                Closer to paperback fiction, than demonstrable reality.
                                I never read any theorist offer a true crime case where a witness admitted to offering a made-up description with details taken from the newspapers.

It's a kind of naive plot, which tends to suggest investigators were idiots.
                                The police did and still do keep their eyes on newspapers reports.

Still, it comes across better than the ridiculous tailors dummy theory. Assuming there ever was any such display windows in Whitechapel.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X