Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
    I doubt they used newspaper for packaging hot food back then. That sounds expensive and were newspapers not ironed in some places because the ink came off easily? I don't think even the unfortunates would fancy eating from that.

Just wrapping paper. That is what a parcel sounds like. A box would be more like... a box I would think.
    How expensive do you imagine last week's newspaper would have been?

You really have no idea, do you?

Ask Alfred, BM, or, possibly, do some research yourself.
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      McCarthy's Chandler's Shop stayed open till 3:00am sometimes, according to Bowyer.
      Who fried the fish at that time in the morning?

Let's not lose sight of the stupidity we are challenging.

Comment

• Gary you're being rude to newbie Batman. He seems a reasonable "Chap" as yall say who is honestly trying to learn about the case and participate. And what better place to start than here at Hutch Nirvana. So can you please ease up on him a little bit.

Yes he's reading the material here on Casebook. It's easy to do. Simply leave the Message Boards and go there and start reading. Some people do that, especially newbies. I spent years reading the material here beginning in 2008, my start date. Yes there are some howlers there. Like Carrie Brown was murdered in New Jersey! In the Klosowski profile. It's good material most of it. The Casebook Wiki is where things are supposed to be updated, and some folks did some of that, Chris comes to mind. But it sort of stopped.

Gary you could update Casebook Wiki. You have the knowledge and the wherewithal.

And far the record, I bet my daddy is from even further west than Batman's and mainly, further South

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
          Who fried the fish at that time in the morning?

Let's not lose sight of the stupidity we are challenging.
          Anyone who was busy enough to be open up to 3 am on The Sabbath, serving a popular Jewish dish in an area heavily populated with Jews.

Particularly someone who could have alerted Jack the Ripper that Joseph Barnett had moved out.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I doubt they used newspaper for packaging hot food back then. That sounds expensive and were newspapers not ironed in some places because the ink came off easily? I don't think even the unfortunates would fancy eating from that.

Just wrapping paper. That is what a parcel sounds like. A box would be more like... a box I would think.
            Gee I was still buying f&c wrapped in newspaper in the 1970s
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

‘At present’.

How long does a man have to be out of ‘regular employment’ to lose track of the days of the week?
              Well, since the very reason for loosing track of the days lies in a lost pattern of normality, I´d say not long at all.
              I would think that a good example would be how we work all year round, keeping to a fixed pattern, and then we have a months vacation where we perhaps travel and see things, and stay up late some nights - all the sorts of things that disrupt the pattern of normality we usually have around us. Under such circumstances, we will be much more likely to get the days wrong. We will know that we have for example visited a temple, gone to a party, hiked, seen a famous statue, eaten something we never had before, tried surfing in the ocean, fished for tuna... these things we will know quite well and vividly, but getting them in the right order is another matter.

Comment

Me too (before I saw the light and took early retirement).

But the point at issue is whether an intelligent young man, reliant for a period on casual work, would lose track of time.

I think probably not.
                It has absolutely nothing at all to do with intelligence, Gary. I´m not even sure that we have Hutchinsons IQ on record for that matter ...
                Last edited by Fisherman; 12-02-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• If astracan was carrying a fish and potato supper with him, he must have bought it before he met Mary.
                  That means it must have been for his own consumption. Following on from that and he did buy the meal somewhere near or on Thrawl St it probably means that he lived nearby. Would you walk miles for your supper if Chandlers shops were open that late?
                  So it means he was local.
                  Yet astracan was not found despite Hutchinson's very detailed description of him.
                  I would expect him to have been, even if he was just eliminated from police enquires and Dew making mention of it. But no the man was never traced even if he had done a bunk.
                  No trace, probably no suspect.

Comment

I doubt they used newspaper for packaging hot food back then.
                    I'm sure they did, and the practice continued until about the 1980s, when various food safety regulations came into force. People, myself included, remained nostalgic about the old days, to the extent that we (mis?)remembered that fish and chips tasted better when wrapped in the Sun or the Daily Mirror.
                    That sounds expensive
                    Not as expensive as simply throwing it away, and old newspapers were put to a number of purposes, including wrapping hot or cold food. Even "processed" foods, so to speak: people used old newspapers as toilet tissue until well into the 20th century, and even I remember squares of newspaper hanging from a piece of string on the outside lavatory door.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Wait, a guy with gold hanging from him, is walking the streets with fish and chips, in an area of extreme poverty and hunger? At night? Alone? He didn't have food.
                      I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                      Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

How expensive do you imagine last week's newspaper would have been?

You really have no idea, do you?

Ask Alfred, BM, or, possibly, do some research yourself.
                        Everyone knows newspapers were used up until modern time to wrap fish n chips when it stopped because of hygiene awareness.

What is being claimed here is that newspapers were cheap enough and in bulk availability enough in Whitechapel to wrap foods in them in 1888!

That's what I doubt. I go with paper wrap from out of a pot for its early introduction and newspapers come later when they are cheaper and more available.
                        Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                          And far the record, I bet my daddy is from even further west than Batman's and mainly, further South

Roy
                          I am Islington born. I grew up in London. I have eaten the foods they are talking about and more.

It's irrelevant though. I certainly wouldn't go around using that it try to demean others.
                          Last edited by Batman; 12-03-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

What is being claimed here is that newspapers were cheap enough and in bulk availability enough in Whitechapel to wrap foods in them in 1888!
                            Just about any unwanted paper would have done, and it's not as if the Star or even Daily Telegraph were incredibly expensive to begin with. It was a case of either reusing the paper, burning it, or throwing it away. I have no doubt whatsoever that - in 1888 as in more recent times - old newspapers would have been used for many purposes, including wrapping food.

Besides, whether fish and chips were wrapped in newspaper or paper of some other kind, they would not resemble an American Cloth parcel, and they wouldn't have been tied up with a strap. It would have been a case of tucking the bundle under your arm, clutching it in your hand, or sticking it in your coat, and away to go.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
                              If astracan was carrying a fish and potato supper with him, he must have bought it before he met Mary.
                              That means it must have been for his own consumption. Following on from that and he did buy the meal somewhere near or on Thrawl St it probably means that he lived nearby. Would you walk miles for your supper if Chandlers shops were open that late?
                              So it means he was local.
                              Exactly, this all works and you are following it through.

We also have an account of a Tabram incident witness living in George's Yard, going to Thrawl St for supper, and not seeing Tabram on the landing but shortly after her body was found there.

JtR living locally makes the world of sense.

Yet astracan was not found despite Hutchinson's very detailed description of him.
                              I would expect him to have been, even if he was just eliminated from police enquires and Dew making mention of it. But no the man was never traced even if he had done a bunk.
                              No trace, probably no suspect.
                              No trace of Blotchy either.

However there you have the crux of the matter. How does a man who lives locally vanish?

JtR seemed to be reading about himself to switch up what he was wearing. After learning about Hutchinson out on the prowl for him, that's a problem.
                              Last edited by Batman; 12-03-2018, 03:53 AM.

Comment

No trace of Blotchy either.

However there you have the crux of the matter. How does a man who lives locally vanish?
                                There must have been plenty of shabbily dressed men with facial hair and blotchy complexions living in the area. Astrakhan Men less so.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X