No announcement yet.

Judges rob Pacquiao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erik Morales was probably my favorite fighter of the last generation, saw him fight live quite a few times, most memorably in Detroit VS Wayne McCullough (on the Naseem Hammed VS Caesar Soto undercard) and in Vegas for Pacquiao Vs Morales I...he was so good.. The night he beat Daniel Zaragoza was just outstanding!!!!

I miss the PRIME Del La Hoya... he was so loved/hated by people but nobody can say he wasn't amazing, he ducked NOBODY.. took fights he didn't have to (Mosley twice.....Vargas, and Ike Quartey...when nobody would fight Ike!!) sure he got a few gift decisions (sorry, in a million years you will never convince me he beat Pernell Whitaker) but wow.. what a career.. he was a great champ!!!

I love Canelo (not as much as my girlfriend....if you listen to the Talk2Q podcasts I have been on as their "boxing expert" I always mention my girlfriends lust for Canelo hahaha.. but I think GGG is just too good at this point... Canelo has the youth and the heart... but all other advantages go to GGG.... but I still have it a pick'em fight.. there will be two winners I think... the man whos hand is raised and the boxing fans.. this is a win for fans of the sport for sure... and give Canelo credit, Like Oscar, he didn't have to fight GGG, he could have ducked him, but that's not in his DNA....and we love him for that!!!

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

the moment i read "Cesar Soto", first boxer came to mind... Johnny!Johnny! Tapia! (body shot ko has no rivals.)

sheet, now i,m envious. i was fortunate to catch some friday night fights that rolled thru, but i missed pacquiao v. barrera. pops went; said it sounded like manny was beating marco with a baseball bat.

i,m with you. RIP to the platinum era of boxing. i watched all boxing during delahoyas career. still put on echolls v. brewer or tua v. ibeabuchi from time to time. do you have a link to the podcast? ive been seeing the heavyweights get busy again.

btw. trinidad v. quartey?
      Last edited by Robert St Devil; 07-25-2017, 04:45 PM.
      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

I love Canelo (not as much as my girlfriend....if you listen to the Talk2Q podcasts I have been on as their "boxing expert" I always mention my girlfriends lust for Canelo hahaha..

Steadmund Brand
        Surely not, with a bloke as good looking as you around
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I'm surprised Pierre isn't on this thread, insisting that the judges are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.

Comment

Oh Robert you just brought a tear to my eye bringing up Johnny Tapia.....not only in my opinion the most underrated fighter of the past 50 years (and he is in the Hall of Fame as of this year!!! Yet he is STILL UNDERRATED), But he was also the sweetest human being I ever met....I spent many years in the fight game as a rabid fan and writer, and have been lucky enough to have been at the Hall of Fame inductions (International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota NY) for the past 22 years in a row...and Johnny was something special...as genuine and kind as a person can be....so sad he had so many demons....I really miss him....I got to spend a little time with his lovely widow Teressa this year and we reminisced about how giddy he would be at the Hall of Fame.....he seemed star struck by the legends there even though he was one...and he loved the fans so much....more than once I saw him start crying when people would come up to him and say they were fans...he was pure emotion....and a very special man...RIP Johnny...
            As for the podcast..there have been several, I will look for links for you (as a fight fan you will love them...and hey...next time we do one maybe you can call in and get on the round table with us!!!)...
            Ibeabuchi...now that was a talent...but too many problems.....I'll never forget his KO of Chris Byrd....I never saw anyone's head spin around (other than Linda Blair) before...just insane....My Brother asked Chris Byrd about that KO ( while Byrd was Champ...took balls for my brother to ask) and Byrd was very cool about it....said " to be honest I don't remember much...I remember being against the ropes and slipping a left then I saw the Ref's shoes and said He'll no I'm not down am I?"
            GUT.....I know can you believe Sarah has such a thing for Canelo....why have a middleweight when you have a heavyweight at home hahaha

Steadmund Brand
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
              I'm surprised Pierre isn't on this thread, insisting that the judges are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.
              Well Pierre can't come on yet...he has one more thing he needs to get...just to prove the fix, then he can change all of our lives ....but may be a year...

Actually that's not fair....I am not so down on Pierre as most....I think he really is trying to learn as much as he can...and he does have a passion....plus I think, personally, he didn't start out to upset folks, but when he saw it did he decided to have fun with it.....and I admit, I was entertained for a bit...then got bored.

Steadmund Brand

Comment

if you ever have the pleasure of speaking with Mrs. Tapia again steadmund id hope that you would express to her that Johnny! still has his die-hards here in texas. if hes in canastota then hes where he belongs. damn! i knew i shoulda went to that pacquiao barrera fight. pops said TAPIA was there, hugging and mugging with the crowd.

i saw that byrd fight, and chris could have continued, but ike was a tank, and it would have only been a matter of time. its for good reason that lennox ike is an aged old question. i like byrd, but i would have liked him even more as a light heavy only bc byrd v. hopkins, toney, tarver, jones, glen johnson were probable realities.

two deployments made me fade off from the sport for awhile, but absolutely i can get in on one of your round tables after i catch up on the current state of the weights.
                there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                  Oh Robert you just brought a tear to my eye bringing up Johnny Tapia.....not only in my opinion the most underrated fighter of the past 50 years (and he is in the Hall of Fame as of this year!!! Yet he is STILL UNDERRATED), But he was also the sweetest human being I ever met....I spent many years in the fight game as a rabid fan and writer, and have been lucky enough to have been at the Hall of Fame inductions (International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota NY) for the past 22 years in a row...and Johnny was something special...as genuine and kind as a person can be....so sad he had so many demons....I really miss him....I got to spend a little time with his lovely widow Teressa this year and we reminisced about how giddy he would be at the Hall of Fame.....he seemed star struck by the legends there even though he was one...and he loved the fans so much....more than once I saw him start crying when people would come up to him and say they were fans...he was pure emotion....and a very special man...RIP Johnny...
                  Jeeeeesus. His father was murdered before Johnny was born, his mother was kidnapped, raped & tortured to death while he was only a small boy, then he dies at the age of 45.

Some people are just cursed, aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    Jeeeeesus. His father was murdered before Johnny was born, his mother was kidnapped, raped & tortured to death while he was only a small boy, then he dies at the age of 45.

Unfortunately yes. The way I try to find a silver lining in it is, god felt his pain and called him home early. He's in a better place and with his family again.
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

Yes.. Johnny was a deeply scarred person....and very self destructive as a result...but that is what made him so loving and emotional towards anyone who showed him kindness...as I said, he would actually start crying when people would want to shake his hand, or take a picture or get an autograph...His heart was so big and full of love for everyone except himself,
                      I believe he tried to kill himself many times with drugs (in fact he did kill himself many times as he was brought back from death on multiple occasions)
                      If I see Teresa again, I will pass that message along..she is a sweetheart as well, I promised her I would find a picture from many years ago of me and Johnny and he is wearing my hat (beret) which looks hilarious.. I am a giant, 6'5 and over 300 pounds.. and Johnny was all of 120 pounds at the time....and my hat almost goes over his entire face...nice picture, great memory.

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Working...
                      X