A murder in Manchester in 1970?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A murder in Manchester in 1970?

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a murder which took place at number 35 Northern Drive, Collyhurst, Manchester in 1970? The victim was apparently a Mrs Potter.

Two years later in 1972 two children saw what appeared to be Mrs Potter's ghost in the flat, and were so traumatised that they required hospital treatment. I can vaguely remember this case being referred to on an item in BBC's Nationwide in the early 1970s and I have recently come across a reference to it in an online paranormal database.

I cannot find any other references to this murder anywhere else online, and I believe that 35 Northern Drive has since been demolished; I do not know Manchester very well, but I think it was located in a housing development consisting of flats dating from the 1930s.

Does anyone remember the murder of Mrs Potter? Was it reported in the local press and on television at the time? Was anyone ever prosecuted for it?

I would be interested to hear any additional information on this intriguing case.

Not much information on this, unfortunately.
    I occasionally work in Collyhurst, and the whole place has been transformed (utterly ruined) by Manchester City Council 'urban development' nazis (a curse upon them, their families, their offspring, and anyone who defends anything done by them) so anything pre-1960 will no longer be there, alas.
    I will do a bit of research and see what pops up.

Comment

Here is some more information for you

I don't have huge amounts of time to look at the moment, but this gives some points for further info at least.

I love the Fortean Times by the way, always full of the strangest stuff and brilliant stories, all told from a rather sceptical point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHopper View Post
        Here is some more information for you

I don't have huge amounts of time to look at the moment, but this gives some points for further info at least.

I love the Fortean Times by the way, always full of the strangest stuff and brilliant stories, all told from a rather sceptical point of view.
        I got sent to the principal's office once because of the Fortean Times. I was reading it in Chemistry, and my idiot teacher didn't know what Fortean meant, so he sent me to the principal's office for having a magazine devoted to drugs and drug paraphernalia. And I got sent back with a note from the resident cops that said "That's High Times you were thinking of. Next time actually open the suspect magazine to avoid further wastes of our time" Wow that guy hated me.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello DrHopper

Many thanks for the link to the edition of the Fortean Times, which provided some additional and fascinating information on the ghost at 35 Northern Drive, Collyhurst, Manchester. It is interesting that the victim's name was Mabel Potter and that someone was apparently tried and acquitted of her murder, leaving the case unsolved.

I will see if I can discover any more about the case myself.

Comment

Working...
          X