There must be a photo of Frederick Abberline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jane

Abberline`s pension record details show his eyes as hazel, dark brown hair and fresh complexion.

Fantastic painting!!!

Comment

I second that, great picture Jane.
      Regards Mike

Comment

Many thanks Jon,

I knew someone would know! Actually, I think they are hazel in the painting rather than brown, as I sort of cheated and went for a colour that could have been either brown or hazel to cover my bets. Lol. I reckon I can probably leave them as they are and get away with it.

Jane

xxxxx
        I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Abberlines Photo

I contacted Pinkertons a few years ago as Abberline ended up working for them, but they wanted a load of cash to have a look.

Perhaps one of our American cousins could do a bit of gentle arm twisting!

Comment

Ah, thank you for refreshing my memory, Mike Covell. The photo on page 25 of SYI is the one I was thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Chap in the middle, Jon...

[ATTACH]5966[/ATTACH]
              Thanks Sam

Jane`s portrait, taken from the sketches, looks very similar to the "other chap" in the photo.

Comment

The Romans they walk towards the 'ouse?? Write it out 100 times!!!

Going to have a play miself with that guy (!) in Sam's pic
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Suzi. Conjugate the verb "to go", third person plural present indicative, using the imperative and taking the locative, which is ...Romans Go Home
                  Now write it out a hundred times. And if it`s not done by sunrise I`ll cut your balls off. Hail Caesar.

Comment

Hanney, do not forget the third person plural jussive subjunctive!

HSQ, MA

PS Suzi, even the Teletubbies are putting you to shame :

BAMBER GASCOIGNE : What is the Latin for "I go"?

TINKY WINKY : E-o.

BAMBER GASCOIGNE : Ten points!

Comment

Yep,the only one i can think of is the police division photo that people 'think' shows Abberline..but,once again,no concrete conclusion on that,which is very very frustrating - so near and yet so far !!

I will go along with Andy Spallek : someone,somewhere,will have a photo of him,it is a wait and see game i'm afraid.

Comment

I'll apologize at the begining for the length of this post. I tried myself to find a picture of Inspector Abberline. Didn't really get very far. I found out through a web site the Pinkerton Agency, which went from being a detective agency to a security agency, was bought by the Swiss security company Securitas. I emailed the public relations agent for Securitas about a picture of one of the old Pinkerton Detectives, and he replied all the Pinkerton documents, photos, and other archives were donated to the Library of Congress (LoC). I emailed the LoC and got a negative reply, saying they had no information on Abberline. I've since called the LoC and they no longer even have an extention for a reference librarian. Thanks to some info given to me by Andrew Spallek and Chris Scott I emailed the library in Bournemouth, England where Abberline retired to, and to the public relations agent for the European office of the Pinkertons which seem to still work as a detective agency. I received a package of copies of all the Abberline related information the Bournemouth Library had, and as interesting as it was there wasn't anything in there I couldn't have gotten from the Casebook. I've yet to get a reply from the Pinkerton agent, after two or so emails. It's my understanding Andy Aliffe is conducting his own search for the elusive photo, and I wish him my best and eagerly await his findings, but the photo mentioned in this thread did appear in The Ripperologist issue 72, and there are a couple of possibilities in the group photo for Abberline, although I tend to think it's the candidate on the left. Time will possibly tell.
                        "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

I always thought this guy looked more like abberline... plus, he kind of looks like he is hiding behind the guy in front of him. He's got the clean shaven chin apparently, with thick sideburns, and a bowler hat.

RH
                          Attached Files

Comment

I`ve never noticed him before, Rob. Crikey.

Comment

Ha! That guy has my vote too!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                Can anyone tell me what exactly has been traced of Abberline's family, and whether it's known what happened to his personal papers after his and his wife's deaths?
                                Chris,

Not sure about the papers, but I did some work on his family a while back, which I will try to dig out. What I really wanted to find was some family event such as a wedding that FGA would have attended, and trace the descendants. At one time I tried looking through various newspapers and magazines at Colindale for obituaries but I didn't find any with a photo.

Basic family details are that he had 4 siblings, Elizabeth b 1834, Emily [Dinah] b 1836, Miriam Harriett b 1838 and Edward b 1839.

Of these, Elizabeth died young, and Miriam Harriett never married. Emily married James Rice and had 3 children, but none of them married.

This leaves Edward, who married Helen [Ellen] McKay. I think they had three children, Helen b 1871, Cora b 1873 and Edward b 1875.

Helen died in infancy.

Cora married a Henry [Harry] Lindley in 1896 and they had at least 4 children, Harry b 1899, Edward b 1900, Charles b 1905 and Dorothy b 1908.

Edward married Lily Beard in 1911 and they had at least six children, Violet H b 1911, Grace L b 1913, Edna M b 1915, Edward b 1918, Joyce K b 1925 and Richard J b 1929.

Like I say, somewhere I have details of grand-nephews/nieces etc, but I never got around to contacting any of them. Perhaps I will do so if I get the time.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X