• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland's six missing women

Christopher Lowe
    Unregistered guest
    Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 1:58 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following is an overview of Operation Trace, it is very interesting to see how a cold case squad works. The information below comes from the garda website:

"Missing Person Annie McCarrick
    Annie McCarrick, an American national has been missing from her home at
    Sandymount in Dublin since Friday 26th March 1993. On that day she left her
    house to go walking in Enniskerry.
    There were sightings of a woman answering Annie's description on the No.44
    bus which goes to Enniskerry at about 3.30 p.m. on that afternoon and later on
    that evening a sighting at Johnny Foxes Pub in Glencullen.
    Annie is described as 5'8" in height, 10 stone, long brown hair. She speaks with
    a soft Irish-American accent.

MISSING PERSON - CIARA BREEN
    Ciara Breen has been missing from her home of Batchelors Walk, Dundalk since the
    early hours of Thursday 13 February, 1997.
    Ciara is described as 5'5" in height, long dark brown hair, blue eyes. She was aged
    18 years when she went missing.

MISSING PERSON - DEIRDRE JACOB
    Gardai at Newbridge are seeking assistance in tracing the whereabouts of Deirdre Jacob,
    18 years of Roseberry, Newbridge, Co. Kildare. Deirdre was last seen at 3.30pm on
    Tuesday 28th July 1998 walking towards her home.
    She is described as being 5’2" in height, slim build, black/brown hair (short style),
    grey/green eyes and when last seen she was wearing a navy NIKE jumper with white collar,
    blue jeans and blue NIKE runners.
    Anyone with information is asked to contact the Gardai at Newbridge, telephone
    number 045-431212 or the Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1-800-666111.

MISSING PERSON - FIONA PENDER
    Fiona has been missing from her home at Church Street, Tullamore, Co. Offaly since Friday 23rd August, 1996. At that time she was 7 months pregnant and had spent the previous day, Sunday, shopping for baby clothes with her mother in Tullamore. She was in good form and was looking forward to the birth of her baby.
    Fiona is described as 5'5" in height, long blond hair.

MISSING PERSON - Fiona Sinnott
    Fiona Sinnott has been missing from her home in Bridgetown, Co. Wexford since Monday 9th February, 1998.
    Fiona is described as being 20 years, 5'2" in height, 7 stone, shoulder length auburn hair and brown eyes.

MISSING PERSON - JO JO DULLARD
    Josephine Dullard has been missing since 11.30 p.m. on Thursday, 9th November, 1995. At that time Jo Jo phoned her friend from a phone box in Moone, Co. Kildare. She told her friend that she was hitching a lift from Moone to her home in Callan, Co. Kilkenny.
    A short time later a woman answering Jo Jo's description was seen leaning in the back door of a dark coloured Toyota Carina type car. There were further sightings of a woman similar to Jo Jo in Castledermot, Co. Kildare which is 5 miles from Moone at around midnight on the same evening - Thursday 9th November, 1995.
    The driver or occupants of this Toyota Carina type car have never been traced.
    Jo Jo is described as 5'4" in height, medium build, dark shoulder length hair. She was 21 years when she went missing."
    (WWW.garda.ie)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Following the dissapearence of Deirdre Jacob in
    1998 the Gardaí set up a cold case squad named
    Operation Trace to look into these and possible
    connected crimes. These were cases of three women whose bodies were found in the mountains in the past 23 years. Phyllis Murphy, 23, was found raped, strangled and partially hidden in bushes in the Wicklow Mountains in 1980 (this crime was solved in 1999 and a man named John Creerar was convicted). Eight years later, the decomposed body of Antoinette Smith, 27, was found in a boggy, shallow grave in the Dublin Mountains. She is thought to have been raped and strangled. Two miles away, in 1992, police uncovered the body of Patricia Doherty, 30, a mother of two, who vanished after going Christmas shopping. They also looked into the murder of Raoinaid Murray, 17, who was stabbed to death in Dublin as well as the murders o Maire Kilmartin and Imelda Keenan.
    Using the OVID computer system the Gardaí established that commonality could be established in only the cases of:
    Annie McCarrick, Jo Jo Dullard, and Deirdre Jacob.
    With help from the FBI a profile was built up saying the killer was white, married, mid to late thirties. People convicted of violent sex crimes often involving murder were looked at but no evidence against them was found. Some of the Gardaí suspect double rapist Larry Murphy as he matches the description of a man seen with Annie McCarrick, and was in the area when Deirdre Jacob dissapeared and kidnapped one of his rape victims bringing her to two isolated locations.
    In December 2001 TRACE closed concluding that there was no evidence of a serial killer, but all files remain open.
    -------------------------------------------
    Is mise le meas,
    Christopher Lowe

God that was a crap post from me a few years ago - anyways the above are the basic background facts. While it's not certain whether or not it was a serial killer the presses reaction was fascinating. If a similar crime was commited it was instantly connected by the press as part of the series. Rapists and murderers whose crmes could be linked by methodology became prime suspects. An alternative suggested by some was a conspiracy theory that the Irish Government and the Catholic Church and the born again Christians were involved (please don't ask).
    As early as 1995 there were suggestions that it was a serial killer. A major factor in the reportage was that it was being argued that women could be raped and killed and the culprit could get away with it.

Kind regards
    Chris Lowe

Comment

Chris,

Isnt there a Farmer or Farm hand in the frame for this?

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

There's a farmer in the frame for the Jo Jo Dullard murder (I think we can be fairly certain they were murders at this rate). The Gardai also suspect a farmer for the Fiona Sinnot case (recently back in the news). From what I can gather from the reporting these are two different people.

kind regards,
        Chris Lowe

Comment

Chris,

Forgive me, I do not know Eire. Was one of them near Naas?

Have you caught the programme Jeff Leahy (Pirate Jack) worked on regarding these crimes?

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

The two I mentioned in the previous post weren't near Naas (if you mean the women) Deirdre Jacob was abducted in Newbridge which is twenty minutes from Naas. John Creerar was convicted in Naas of murdering a woman 20 years previously when the Gardai found they had forgotten to destroy his DNA (as required by Irish law samples must be destroyed after a fixed amount of time, in fairness it was taken as a blood sample as opposed to DNA). And Larry Murphy was caught abducting (off the street) and raping a woman in some woods not that far from Naas. The journalist Michael Sheridan suggested that the bodies were buried on land belonging to Aga kahn and used for illegal dumping, he claims both John Creerear and Larry Murphy were seen there.
            Can't recall anything else about Naas. Honestly last time I looked at these I was more interested in the feminist and green discourse in the news reporting.
            Clifford Olson the Canadian Killer claimed to know someone who had a hand in it.

kind regards
            Chris Lowe
            Last edited by truebluedub; 06-12-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

One early suspect, himself convicted of murdering two women, is due out on early release this Friday (23/4/09). Michael Bambrick murdered and dismembered Patricia McGauley and Mary Cummins in 1991 and 1992. He came under suspicion of being a serial killer and involved in the Annie McCarrick case when his crimes came to light and the Irish media started arguing that a serial killer was responsible her disappearance.

Chris Lowe
              Last edited by truebluedub; 04-22-2009, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                Chris,

Forgive me, I do not know Eire. Was one of them near Naas?

Have you caught the programme Jeff Leahy (Pirate Jack) worked on regarding these crimes?

Monty
                Strangely enough they repeated the episode with Jo Jo Dullard the night before last on Zone Reality.

As I recall they never found her body and the family believed her disappearance wasn't investigated properly. I must admit that I havent kept up with the case.

Pirate

Comment

Hi All,

Having only recently became aware of these cases (I live overseas), I can't help feeling that all of these women obviously trusted their abductor. Whether it was offering them a lift or luring them from their homes it seems that they had no hesitation in going with their killer/s.

Given that, I strikes me that the perpetrator may be posing as one of the two most trusted people in irish society on face value; a Garda or a Priest!!

Having some knowledge of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains I believe that the chances of finding well hidden bodies up there are next to nil. If my Irish history is correct this area has been used for centuries by "freedom fighters" to remain hidden and to dispose of bodies of representatives of British rule. Hence the building of the military roads through the mountains by the British.

With regard to the Fiona Pender, case I haven't seen any reference to her partner John Thomson being questioned. Is it just me or does it appear unusual that a man with a seven month pregnant wife would leave her (feeling unwell) at six on a Friday morning and not be in contact again until her mother phoned him on Saturday evening? That's something in the region of 36 hours without contact.

In addition, assuming that Thomson's statement is true, If Fiona had gotten up later on Friday morning wouldn't she have opened the blinds? after all it was August. Apart from Thomson's statement the only other positive sighting is her mum who saw her on Thursday evening. If Thomson had anything to do with Fiona's dissappearance that would give him 48 hours to carry out the deed and dispose of all evidence! Has there been any searches of his father's farm?

Cheers
                  Rambler

Comment

Working...
                  X