Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
    Hi Helena,

If you go to the top of the relevant page and click on the magnifying glass in the top right corner, you get citation information. (The same is true of all pages on the site with the exception of the message boards and the Wiki.)

Otherwise, click here: link to citation info.

Regards,

Mark
    Hi, Mark,
    The magnifying glass does it! Great information to have. Thank you.

curious

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
      If my understanding about Ms. Wojtczak not having conducted Ancestry research is a misconception, I apologize most sincerely. Possibly her queries only had to do with the German translation at ancestry.de.
      By the by Natalie, I'm sure you would contribute very much to the project of a book on Chapman.
      Thanks Maria much appreciated.The task is difficult and as Helena hints a bit unpleasant and unrewarding at times-he was a grotesque character if ever there was one.
      I do believe that having a knowledge of the Polish language and culture is a big advantage here regarding the needed research and as Helena has both as well as being an experienced researcher with a number of very well received book under her belt, the book should be very instructive at least in this regard .
      Klosowski /Chapman though was a man divided.The two halves of his personality were not ever on speaking terms and it was his wish, at least from 1894 or so, to be known as George Chapman and the picture of him with Bessie Taylor shows a man who liked to flaunt his killing machines above the bar of his pub.
      Norma

Comment

Natalie/Norma,
        I fully agree that Klosowski is worth writing a book about, especially if it's a non suspect-oriented book. For details on the Polish culture/language, Gareth Williams (Sam Flynn) is quite knowledgeable on this.
        I'd suggest discretion and patience for anyone wishing to approach him out of the blue though, as he's very busy and not frequently on the boards.
        Still, Ms. Wojtczak sounds like a name with which one would have linguistic capabilities in Polish.
        Last edited by mariab; 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

So was he actually a vampire?

Oh yes ,dear Gareth-I miss Gareth.He was my sparring partner you know! Like Helena he interpreted Chapman's apprenticeship as nothing more than a training in the blood sucking of leeches !
          Hey---! maybe Chapman was in training to be a vampire! Maybe Anne Rice should be including him in her Vampire Chronicles!

Comment

Or he should guest star in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. :-)
            I hope that leeches, apart from medicinally, were not also used in hair parlors as beautification process in the Victorian era?
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
              Or he should guest star in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. :-)
              I hope that leeches, apart from medicinally, were not also used in hair parlors as beautification process in the Victorian era?
              Ha Ha! I enjoyed that Maria.[I wouldn't put anything past Chapman]

Comment

Steady On

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                I thought HW was publishing this in Jan 2012, a couple of months away yet she appears to be still gathering very basic information about Chapman. Have I missed something?
                I think HW needs to calm down a bit. She complains vociferously that all she did was ask a question and so on and then launches into several tirades against people like me who also simply asked a question. I have duplicated it above so you can see there is nothing mean spirited or contentious about it -I'm simply puzzled.

It cannot escape many peoples attention that the information that HW is asking for here and on several other places on the internet is very basic stuff that is normally covered in the first week or so of planning.

Personally I really don't think it is neccessary for HW to keep reminding us ad nauseum just how many hours she has spent, how many words she has written or how many pages these cover.

I'm quite sure she has been working very hard and are all looking forward to reading her book once she has published it.

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly with what Bob Hinton says here, but whatever.
                  (As an author of a 450 p. book currently at the editor's, and this was not a complain about my pains.;-))
                  Still, good luck with the book.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

I think HW needs to calm down a bit.
                    And you need to stop coming on here and sneering at my book before you or anyone else has read it.

When YOU Bob Hinton, have (as I have) written five books and won awards, and received dozens of excellent reviews from highly qualified people, you MIGHT be in a position to tell me how to research and write books.

I will not be revisiting this thread so you can write what the hell you like.

Thank you to Norma and the other decent souls on here for the thumbs up.

Helena
                    Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 09-10-2011, 10:46 PM.
                    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I think HW needs to calm down a bit.
                      Neither you nor Maria have read any of my Chapman text, yet you have already decided it's going to be rubbish.

Well, that will save you both buying a copy, won't it?

When YOU, have (as I have) written five books and won three awards, and received dozens of excellent reviews from highly qualified people, you MIGHT be in a position to sneer down your nose at what I am doing, or tell me how to research and write books.

Thank you to Norma and the other decent souls on here for the thumbs up, and to those who sent me private messages of support. I thank you so much for your encouragement and for the emails, hilarious snippets and books. Thanks to the fellow authors on this board who have offered to read the final draft and to those who have already placed book orders (yay!) Thanks also to those who are currently reading the first draft of the text.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Posters are reminded that disrupting someone's thread because you don't care for the subject matter is trolling and is against Casebook rules.

If you have nothing on-topic or relevant to add to the discussion, find another discussion thread.

8. Do not engage in trolling behavior. For the purposes of these forums, trolling is defined as any behavior designed to disrupt a thread. If you believe a thread is too silly, stupid or offensive to be discussed seriously, ignore it. Remember, just because you don't find a topic worthy of serious discussion, doesn't mean there aren't others who do. Disrupting someone's thread because you personally don't agree with it is trolling. Abide by the OP's stated intentions in starting the thread.

Comment

Helena, I saw this thread a couple days ago, but not knowing the answer to your question, I didn't respond.

I have found the information part of Casebook to be very helpful. The Press Reports sections is unique and I'm not sure there's anything else like it. A lot of work went into that for which we are all grateful.

I noticed a mistake in that article you asked about. At the end of it.

Finally we come to the subject of the "similar murders committed in America" referred to by Abberline and others as evidence for Chapman's being the Ripper. Actually, there was only one similar murder, that of an elderly prostitute named Carrie Brown, or "Old Shakespeare" for her affinity for quoting the author when drunk. She was murdered in a common lodging house in Jersey City, New Jersey on April 24, 1891, first strangled and then savagely mutilated.

The mistake is that Carrie Brown was murdered in Manhattan, New York City, not New Jersey which is across the Hudson River. Which probably doesn't matter to most folks, because in the final analysis it has absolutely nothing to do with the Whitechapel murders. But it would be like saying Annie Chapman was murdered behind a house in Blackheath.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I contacted admin and pointed out the mistake. And admin replied that yes, that was a mistake. But nothing happened. I think, if there are errors in any of the informational section of Casebook, you have to just figure that out for yourself, know it, and that's that. Nothing gets changed because its like a printed book. It never changes. I guess.

The new Wiki section is editable, and can be kept up to date.

So we still don't know who wrote it do we?

Roy

Click image for larger version

Name:	NYNJ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	662743

Water Street, Manhattan to Jersey City, NJ. About 7 miles, the same distance as from Hanbury Street to Blackheath.

ps, Helena, you know, pretty soon, you are gonna be the expert and we're gonna be asking you stuff. So be nice.
                          Sink the Bismark

Comment

I wasn't going to respond any more to this thread but I don't want Roy to think I am being rude by ignoring his message, especially as it took him a lot of time to compose.

To Roy Corduroy personally

"I have found the information part of Casebook to be very helpful. The Press Reports sections is unique and I'm not sure there's anything else like it. A lot of work went into that for which we are all grateful."

Including me. I have never failed to show due gratitude when people have sent me things, and I have duly listed every single name in my 'acknowledgements' section.

"I noticed a mistake in that article you asked about. At the end of it."

There are many mistakes in that article. Once my book is published you will see that not one book or article every written about him is 100% correct. My book was made much harder by the amount of misinformation. I even have a chapter devoted to "Myths about Chapman"

"So we still don't know who wrote it do we?"

No, because the method of finding attribution as detailed in this thread did not produce the author's name.

"Helena, you know, pretty soon, you are gonna be the expert and we're gonna be asking you stuff."

Actually, I already am - as would anyone who had devoted almost her every waking moment 7 days a week for 3 months to one subject. The person who you would expect to be THE authority on Chapman, the only writer who has produced any book-length biography of him, R. Michael Gordon, published no less than four books about the life of Seweryn Kłosowski without once even spelling his name right.

"So be nice."

But I have done nothing wrong. Why don't you tell others to be nice to me?

Dear Roy - the narrative of the book is complete, and now comes the task of checking through the text again and again, correcting typos, altering for improved style, excising bits and adding bits, making sure all the references are in order and in the correct formatting style (because unlike authors who submit their work to publishers I also do all my own design, formatting and typesetting). As part of this I happened to notice that one the ONE occasion that I made a passing reference to the biog on Casebook, the reference was to Casebook when, to be nitpickingly correct, it should have had the actual author's name rather than just the site where it appears, so I search for the info, I cannot find it, so I quickly dash off a very short line on this thread

Please read post #1 on this thread - a simple, short question, who wrote that biog?

Roy, do you believe that simple question deserved the sneering responses that it got - i.e. that I had not even done the most basic research, that I had not even looked on Ancestry, that my book is probably just derived from JtR forums, etc? Unwarranted and ill-informed criticisms of a book that neither of them has even seen.Then when I respond to these insults and slurs, apparently I am the one who is in the wrong.

I never did get an answer to my question, so if the mention of the biog stays in it will just say casebook.org.

Helena
                            Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post

Finally we come to the subject of the "similar murders committed in America"

Roy -- just for you -- I have started a new thread about the American killings. xxx

Comment

Hi Helena

Don't forget, when referencing Casebook, that all the message board posts, and even the dissertations, must really be regarded as works in progress, on account of the rapid developments due to new research. So don't be too hard on any errors. E.g. when I joined, I think the only censuses available online were the 1881 (transcription only),1901 and about half of the 1891.

Comment

Working...
                                X