• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wrote the biog on casebook?

can anyone tell me who wrote this:

Thanks

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Confused.com

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
    I thought HW was publishing this in Jan 2012, a couple of months away yet she appears to be still gathering very basic information about Chapman. Have I missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
      I thought HW was publishing this in Jan 2012, a couple of months away yet she appears to be still gathering very basic information about Chapman. Have I missed something?
      What makes you think I am "still gathering very basic information"?

The book is currently over 80,000 words long (133 pages).

I am just curious to know who wrote the short biog that is on here. I did not say I was using it, quoting it, relying on it, believing it. I merely asked who wrote it! Jeez!

Part of the research is knowing which authors wrote which biogs, but their names do not need to be collected at the beginning of research, but at any time along the way, right up to the final draft.

So, I take it you cannot tell me who wrote it?

Helena
      Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 09-10-2011, 03:07 PM.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
        Actually I was kinda wondering about this too.
        I hope it's not another one of those books where most part of the text has its provenance from casebook/JTRForums or earlier books.

To Ms. Wojtczak:
        You might consider PMing the casebook admin or, better yet, the casebook wiki editor, Sir Robert Anderson (his PM would be available in the members list). They might have an approximate idea of who wrote what. Perusing the Klosowski threads would also give you an idea of who's best informed in that matter.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
          Actually I was kinda wondering about this too.
          I hope it's not another one of those books where most part of the text has its provenance from casebook/JTRForums or earlier books.
          Just because I am curious about who wrote a biog on here (it is very unusual to have no author's name at the foot of the article) does not suggest that my book comprises repeating the myths and nonsense written in other books.

I merely asked who wrote it. I did not say I was using it, quoting it, relying on it, believing it -- just who wrote it! Jeez!

To Ms. Wojtczak:
          You might consider PMing the casebook admin or, better yet, the casebook wiki editor, Sir Robert Anderson (his PM would be available in the members list). They might have an approximate idea of who wrote what. Perusing the Klosowski threads would also give you an idea of who's best informed in that matter.
          I really wish I had done that now because this thread has turned into a criticism of me, my methods, my research and my book, despite neither of you knowing anything about what I have written or how!

What a downer, after I have put thousands of hours into research, to be faced with this when I log on to Casebook!

Helena
          Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 09-10-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The best of lucks with you book, Ms. Wojtczak.
            Certain magazines and online forums don't list the author's name on short, basic biographical articles, particularly if it was a common effort.
            Noone's implying that you'd rely on repeating casebook quotes in your own text, although I'd have to confess I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that you have already produced over 100 p. of the manuscript without having yet conducted research in the standard databases (such as Ancestry.com) or having perused basic secundary lit such as Ripper Notes, which are easily available on amazon at a reasonable price. Also puzzling is the slight tenacity of asking basic information (as in the recent Norden/Vanderlinden/Stewart Evans thread) without doing the required basic homework first - which can lead to embarrassing results.
            There are currently half a dozen casebook posters who are in the process of writing books, some of them suspect-related, and about a dozen diligent researchers. All these people are putting thousands of hours into research – discreetly and without complaining. :-)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Certain magazines and online forums don't list the author's name on short, basic biographical articles, particularly if it was a common effort.
              Noone's implying that you'd rely on repeating casebook quotes in your own text, although I'd have to confess I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that you have already produced over 100 p. of the manuscript without having yet conducted research in the standard databases (such as Ancestry.com) or having perused basic secundary lit such as Ripper Notes, which are easily available on amazon at a reasonable price. Also puzzling is the slight tenacity of asking basic information (as in the recent Norden/Vanderlinden/Stewart Evans thread) without doing the required basic homework first - which can lead to embarrassing results.
              There are currently half a dozen casebook posters who are in the process of writing books, some of them suspect-related, and about a dozen diligent researchers. All these people are putting thousands of hours into research – discreetly and without complaining. :-)
              You really are an obnoxious pain in the ass!

~~~

I would contact John Bennett, Helena.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Roberts View Post
                I would contact John Bennett, Helena.
                I didn't write it. I believe it is the Chapman entry that has been on this site for many years (pre-wiki).

If Helena is keen to learn who did write it, Maria's suggestion of contacting admin (Stephen Ryder) is probably the best bet.

JB

Comment

"I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that you have already produced over 100 p. of the manuscript without having yet conducted research in the standard databases (such as Ancestry.com)"

What an extraordinary assumption. This is now a direct insult.

"There are currently half a dozen casebook posters who are in the process of writing books, some of them suspect-related, and about a dozen diligent researchers. All these people are putting thousands of hours into research – discreetly and without complaining. :-)"

I am not complaining I simply asked who wrote an article.

I am going to get this thread removed. I did not invite this kind of abuse.

Helena

Comment

Hi Helena,

If you go to the top of the relevant page and click on the magnifying glass in the top right corner, you get citation information. (The same is true of all pages on the site with the exception of the message boards and the Wiki.)

Otherwise, click here: link to citation info.

Regards,

Mark
                    Last edited by m_w_r; 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Hello Mark,

Happy birthday by the way.

kindly

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                      Accountability? ....

Comment

Get off Maria!
                        There have always been -just as there are currently -authors on casebook with their feathers ruffled [usually quite rightly ]---its not at all unusual and it seems to be par for the course,regrettable though that may be.
                        Helena has set herself a daunting task-in fact one that has not really ever been approached before with regards to Chapman.I for one look forward immensely to what she uncovers and discovers,
                        Norma

Comment

Thanks Phil - I have celebrated thus far by sitting around all day in my pants, and later, clothed, I plan to drink booze.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Hello Mark,

Then do me a favour.. and pour yourself one for me. I will one day enjoy another drink with you in London. Enjoy your day!

I wish Helena all success with her attempted book.. a mammoth task indeed!

kindly

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

If my understanding about Ms. Wojtczak not having conducted Ancestry research is a misconception, I apologize most sincerely. Possibly her queries only had to do with the German translation at ancestry.de.
                              By the by Natalie, I'm sure you would contribute very much to the project of a book on Chapman.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

Working...
                              X