Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who just watched the History Channel's show on JtR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History Channel

Originally posted by Rick Mattix View Post
    The History Channel went to the dogs a long time ago. Good historical documentaries are hard to find on cable TV anymore. The programmers and the production companies aren't interested in anything of substance anymore. And they're cheap. They don't pay for interviews anymore and they'd rather hire actors to create bad reenactments and use cartoonish computer graphics than pay for old b&w photos and/or newsreels.

Always some spectacular angle and mostly nonsense. The proliferation of ghost stories and other paranormal nonsense like 2012, UFO's, Bigfoot, etc. has killed any sense of history on the History Channel. It's entertainment-geared and nothing more.
    Yeah, all that paraormal stuff can really boggle the senses.
    Way to go, Casebook!
    You're the best!

Comment

Originally posted by vol_cat View Post
      Sorry if this is in the wrong category. But I have never heard of Tumblety hiring someone to harvest organs for him. Has anyone expanded on this theory? Where does this thought come from?
      Hi Vol,

As Lynn suggested Ive put forth an idea that perhaps Dr T was the American quack that sought to procure uteri from 2 of London's Leading Teaching hospitals, confirmed by 1 of the 2 facilities in question. We dont have any idea of the description of that so called quack, so he might well have been a 5'11" one.

He doesnt match any "suspects" sightings that we have on file, so he probably wasnt out killing anyone himself to acquire these objects....assuming it was him and they were still sought a year later...but I can see potentially dozens of possible "accomplices" that might have killed their own Mother for what was in todays money around 1500L Sterling. Thats a huge amount of money in a ghetto....and very tempting to less moral and very poor criminals. And the women that were targeted were almost forgotten souls....despised by the locals for their wanton habits, ignored by the establishment,....it was almost like they were dead in many ways already.

There is no proof that I have found yet that can substantiate that notion...however, Wynne Baxter the coroner and Dr Phillips the attending physician in both the Nichols Inquest and the Chapman Inquest suggested in their remarks that were summarized at the close of the the Nichols Inquest, that a motive for the killer might well have been to obtain the organ only successfully taken from Annie.

In other words, they suggest with their comments that they felt it was possible the women were actually killed for that reason.

In no other Canonical murder does anyone connected with the post mortem responsibilities suggest that the killers motivation for killing was to obtain the organs taken from either 2 of the 3 remaining victims. They were not killed so the killer could obtain Kates kidney, and Mary wasnt killed so the killer could obtain her heart.

That they took them is clear, that they sought those organs out specifically is not.

It seemed to be clear in the first 2 cases though...to the men that saw firsthand what was done to the women.

Best regards Vol

Comment

posts are appearing out of order again....

Comment

History Ch.

On the positive side their was the appearance of Donald Rumbelow and Stewart Evans. It appeared that Mr. Evans believed that Dr. Tumblety was a viable suspect. Has their been any books written were Tumblety is the prime suspect?

Comment

Perhaps I'm a bit behind the times, but the photo of Dr. T which Stewart produced during this History Channel show was my first sighting of it. I was under the impression that no photos of him were known to exist.

Comment

Dr. Tumblety's Account of His London Arrest

With respect to the History Channel program touting Tumblety as a valid Ripper suspect, others have already quite nicely disposed of this bit of TV fluff. But what did Dr. Tumblety have to say about his London arrest?

About a month after he arrived back in the US, Tumblety was interviewed by a newspaperman who asked him about his "arrest" as Jack the Ripper. Tumblety explained that he was a frequent visitor to London, knew every part of the city and happened to be there when the Whitechapel murders were hot news. He said he was drawn to the Whitechapel district because of the excitement and crowds, that he dressed in simple clothing so as not to attract attention. He also wore a "slouch" hat. Problem was, the killer was believed to be an American, and because all Americans wore "slouch" hats, he was marked as an American, and that's why the police began following him. It sounds silly, but being American and being known as a "doctor" could very well have been the reason London police began following him, especially if they were aware of the story of his supposed collection of female parts. Surveillance of Tumblety's wanderings in London could also explain how police learned of his sexual encounters with the four young men. His arrest may well have been an effort to hold him until evidence connecting him with the murders could be found.

At any rate, Tumblety didn't argue the fine points with the reporter's assumption that he was arrested in London as a suspect in the Ripper murders, likely because, to him, that was preferable to admitting he was actually charged with indecency with males.

Tumblety's supposed "hatred" of women is overstated. His known history leaves little doubt he was homosexual and attracted to boys and young men, but few homosexuals hate women. And while Tumblety certainly warned his male acquaintences about the dangers of veneral disease - no doubt to further his own cause - there is no evidence he "hated" women. Indeed, people who knew him described him as a "ladies man," who had quite a following of adoring women, although he was never known to be romantically involved with any.
              "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
              Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Dr. T

Sorry if this is in the wrong category. But I have never heard of Tumblety hiring someone to harvest organs for him. Has anyone expanded on this theory? Where does this thought come from?

Comment

perrymason

Hi Vol. Mike (aka, Perrymason) has some interesting observations in that regard.

Click on his name in one of the threads and do the "find all posts command." That should be a good start.

The theory is not widespread.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

The History Channel went to the dogs a long time ago. Good historical documentaries are hard to find on cable TV anymore. The programmers and the production companies aren't interested in anything of substance anymore. And they're cheap. They don't pay for interviews anymore and they'd rather hire actors to create bad reenactments and use cartoonish computer graphics than pay for old b&w photos and/or newsreels.

Always some spectacular angle and mostly nonsense. The proliferation of ghost stories and other paranormal nonsense like 2012, UFO's, Bigfoot, etc. has killed any sense of history on the History Channel. It's entertainment-geared and nothing more.

Comment

I will always be convinced that whoever murdered Mary "Jane" Kelly was progressively going insane and that murder was the period at the end of his sentence. Therefore, to me, the only two real candidates for Jack are Montague Druitt(suicide) and Aaron Kosminski(insane asylum) both of whom were removed from Whitechapel and history, just as "Jack" apparently was.

Comment

If the Ripper is to be found among any of the named suspects, I'd think it would be among those named by police at the time or shortly thereafter. I don't give much thought to the modern-day "suspects." Druitt and Kosminski seem to be the likliest candidates to me there too. Neither have much going for them but are more satisfying to me than Tumblety or Chapman.

Otherwise, I'd opt for just some unknown maniac who hasn't been named yet.

Comment

[QUOTE=Profiling is crap, the 21st century version of phrenolgy..[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

Comment

I felt the "evidence" was cherry picked and sometimes contradicted itself.

I wouldn't mind seeing a serious investigation of Tumbely (sp), but this wasn't it. Like Cornwell the producers decided who the Ripper and presented evidence to support the foregone conclusion and culled that which did not .

As for the handwriting expert, you can find an expert to say whatever you want them to say. Trying going to a trial where the defendant has money.

I aways doubt newly found evidence in any case.

Comment

Working...
                            X