No announcement yet.

Patricia Cornwell - Walter Sickert - BOOK 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A short vid of Patricia Cornwell prom'ing the new book...

Hmmmm!
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
      A short vid of Patricia Cornwell prom'ing the new book...

Hmmmm!
      https://twitter.com/1pcornwell/statu...88234154471425
      C on a B.... clue 3, 'it almost looks like..'

Almost? That's proof enough for me.... send him to the gallows!

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Yep. And I think three of those you mention make good suspects, but being a letter writer does not a ripper make when we know as a fact that letters were received from 100s, if not 1000s, of different people.
        Exactly so. Well said. Even if Sickert wrote a "Ripper" letter it only shows he had a fascination with the case. But then so did countless others. And not surprisingly -- it was the most famous case of the day, and has been so down to our day and presumably onward. If you read the press reports that Howard Brown posts at JtR Forums you will soon find that countless men thought to frighten a partner or a stranger by announcing they were the Ripper or that they would "ripper" the victim. Again, that's hardly proof of a link to the Whitechapel murders.
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
          Hi.
          I must disagree, if it could be proven that Sickert wrote at least one of the letters, it would point to guilt.
          Would people be so keen to dismiss , if it could be proven that Druitt, Kosminski,Kelly, Prince Albert Victor, wrote one?
          Regards Richard.
          Doesn't it largely depend on which letter?

Comment

Old patty convinced herself old wally was the ripper even before she started her research nothing will make her change her mind its such a shame she Is wasting her resources on this.
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
              Doesn't it largely depend on which letter?
              Not unless you could convince me that the ripper wrote it. And so far there's probably only one that I consider likely.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Or maybe two.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Which ones, Gut?
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Which ones, Gut?
                    I've always had a "soft spot" for From Hell, still on the fence but think there's a chance.

Now if it was then in my opinion "Openshaw" must be a good chance.
                    G U T

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                      Old patty convinced herself old wally was the ripper even before she started her research nothing will make her change her mind its such a shame she Is wasting her resources on this.
                      I entirely agree that starting the research into Sickert after you've made up your mind that he is the Ripper is not the best way to go about it. She obviously detests the artist -- I recall one of the remarks she makes in her book is in regard to a 20th century later in life photograph of Sickert and how evil he looks.
                      Christopher T. George
                      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

All she "established" is that someone with the same mtDNA profile as Sickert wrote one of the Ripper letters. Which sounds good, but then you realise there are hundreds if not thousands of potential matches. And that's assuming the DNA testing was accurate in the first place.
                        Last edited by Harry D; 02-25-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Sounds familiar
                          The one thing about these 'high profile' and well-funded agenda filled enquiries is that they often conversely help to disprove the chosen subject is the likely culprit. IMO

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                          All she "established" is that someone with the same mtDNA profile as Sickert wrote one of the Ripper letters. Which sounds good, but then you realise there are hundreds if not thousands of potential matches. And that's assuming the DNA testing was accurate in the first place.

Comment

Here's The Telegraph review:

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                              Thanks for the link, Richard.

I will give her book a try, I think. Sounds as if she has researched answers to some of the objections people had to her first book. The small run of paper is also interesting.
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

Well, it depends. If she is talking about those 24 sheets of rose tinted paper from Belgium, not such a big deal. They were watermarked, and it was just 24 sheets. That was sometime around 1850, and all 24 sheets were made into about 5,000 stamps. If someone collects stamps it is a big deal I guess.
                                I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X