Pawn Tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn Tickets

I know that in some parts of the World Pawn Tickets would be traded almost as a form of currency.

Say I have pawned something worth $10 and the redemption is $4 and I owe you $3 you might accept my pawn ticket as payment. Knowing that for the $3 debt, plus $4 to redeem the item, you would get something worth $10.

[Hope that makes sense]

Was this happening in England in the 1880s.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

I know that in South East Asia today second hand dealers do pay for pawn tickets on gold jewellery. These they sell on to gold traders for a small profit and the gold gets melted down. I've never heard of this happening in Victorian times, though it might have. Most of the goods pawned, especially in East End pawnshops, probably wouldn't have been worth going to any trouble over, IMO.

This is an interesting piece I think, on pawning goods in Victorian England. It seems to have been mostly the females who 'popped' things for the family. Maybe they thought they could better soften the pawnbroker assistant's heart than a male! Best wear and boots probably went first if a family were short on necessities.

Many of us will be feeling the pinch after the expenses associated with Christmas, and some will buy more things on credit cards to tide the...

Comment

Thanks for that link.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
      X