Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 8 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 10 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 2 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (38 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (13 posts)
Non-Fiction: Walter Dew's account...... - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > From Hell (Lusk) Letter

Old 05-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
Perhaps an accomplice? People have commented on the "Irish accent" in the Lusk letter. While you wouldn't expect a man with an Irish accent to write that way, one can imagine a killer who was around a guy with an Irish accent perhaps having a little fun and writing it that way.
It also could have been somebody that the author bribed with the promise of a few drinks to deliver the package.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
If the Ripper never wrote the letter to Lusk, do you buy into the theory it was a prank, possibly by medical students, or some other explanation?

I think it was probably some crook, or a gang of crooks, in the area whose toes were being stepped on by the Vigilance Committee. We know that Lusk thought he was being stalked by someone, and there was that whole scene in the pub where a shady guy wanted to 'ave a word in private. It certainly seems like someone was trying to intimidate him for some reason. Whether that someone was the Ripper or not, who knows, but I'd suspect not.
Hi Harry,

I think that the extraction of the kidney was carefully done, while the rest of the body was hacked up. This contrast makes me wonder weather someone other than the killer had taken the kidney. Otherwise it would appear that the killer was only really interested in the kidney.
Why kill specifically to get a bit of kidney to send to Lusk? What is the significance of that?
Old 05-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Lusk doesn't strike me as a publicity seeker. Wasn't he initially reluctant to come forward with the letter?

I find it interesting that you'd jump from genuine straight to a Lusk hoax.
So he said, one reason I am very open to as Lust Hoax.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
It also could have been somebody that the author bribed with the promise of a few drinks to deliver the package.

c.d.
I would imagine plenty of people around who'd do a delivery for a drinky poo or two.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Chief Inspector

Wasn't the parcel sent through the post, with a barely decipherable post mark on it (London E) ? Yes, he could have been Jack's accomplice but a man six feet or more in height would have been very unusual in a working class district in those days. If he was working as an accomplice to Jack (look-out etc) you'd think that would have drawn attention of passersby, not been helpful!

I'd like to know whether other hoax letters didn't bear Lusk's complete address, either. It would be good to know the profession of this Irish bloke, too. If he was an undertaker or anything to do with the medical fraternity he could have had access to a kidney.

Last edited by Rosella : 05-30-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
I can see a couple of problems with this. First of all, if youíre going to mail out your prized Eddowes kidney, do you really want to rely on Joe from the pub, with a foreign accent no less, to get you the right address? Second, once the news broke about the letter and the kidney, Joe from the pub could start scratching his chin and putting two and two together, and he could end up putting the police onto your scent. If nothing else, he might be able to give them a very good description of you. If Iím Jack, I donít think Iíd want to involve any strangers in this caper. This would be a job for one of my buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
Yes, he could have been Jack's accomplice but a man six feet or more in height would have been very unusual in a working class district in those days. If he was working as an accomplice to Jack (look-out etc) you'd think that would have drawn attention of passersby, not been helpful!
What would have been the big deal about sending a man who was six feet tall to get an address for you?

Quote:
I'd like to know whether other hoax letters didn't bear Lusk's complete address, either. It would be good to know the profession of this Irish bloke, too. If he was an undertaker or anything to do with the medical fraternity he could have had access to a kidney.
Why would a man with an Irish accent effect an Irish accent in the letter? Wouldnít he just spell (or misspell) the words normally?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM
Chief Inspector

I meant an accomplice to the murders, a friend who had been helping as a lookout etc. (I don't really think that's likely as I believe Jack was a loner). I think it's more probable that Emily's man was the sender of another hoax letter entirely, that's now completely unknown.

I think the writer of the Lusk letter (who could very well have been Jack) was a regular in the audience at Victorian melodramas at Penny Gaffs (cheap theatres of the East End.)

IMO he could have been imitating the sort of over the top Irish characters he would have seen in plays there, in some phrases of the letter. Exhibiting a black sort of humour, perhaps?

Therefore the fact that there were Irish phrases in the Lusk letter and this man appeared to be Irish was just one of those strange coincidences that pop up sometimes in the JTR annals.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 AM
Chief Inspector

Just thought of something else. The Fenian Brotherhood (predecessors of the IRA) were a trouble to Scotland Yard at this time. What if the Lusk writer (whether Jack or not) was hoping that the police would seize on the Irish sounding parts of the letter and start a wild goose chase linking members of the FB in London to these murders?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Detective

Quote:
Just thought of something else. The Fenian Brotherhood (predecessors of the IRA) were a trouble to Scotland Yard at this time. What if the Lusk writer (whether Jack or not) was hoping that the police would seize on the Irish sounding parts of the letter and start a wild goose chase linking members of the FB in London to these murders?
Interesting thought. Like everything else it brings up additional questions.

Would the writer(s) have been sure that certain phrases would be interpreted as Fenian? Being most if not all letters were treated as hoaxes in the first place, does it not diminish the relevance from the perspective of the police anyway? In other words would they have not saw through it as intentionaly misleading?

It brings us to the "kidne". If serious attention was wanted, obviously that would do it. (presumably on shock value alone) Writing a letter that's opportunistic in nature is one thing, it's quite another to obtain an organ to include. If the intention was to link Fenians with the murders it goes well beyond a simple hoax.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Chief Inspector

If it was a prank and the prankster was identified and he struggled to produce an alibi for the night of the murder his in trouble isn't he a good chance he might end up shaking hands with the hangman.