Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by John G 1 minute ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Robert 3 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by John Wheat 5 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by FrankO 6 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 9 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (7 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (7 posts)
Visual Media: London 1924 in colour - (6 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (5 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (4 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > From Hell (Lusk) Letter

Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Chief Inspector

Firstly Christine, thanks for bringing this to our attention and welcome!

I think this lady has picked up on the detectable but over-done Irish characteristics in the Lusk letter, which have been pointed out by other researchers, and made a huge leap to Tumblety because of his alleged Finian connections and his status as a Ripper suspect.

I have a real problem with the twaddle these handwriting analysers come up with. For example, what does 'out of control sexually' actually MEAN? Does it mean he w****d a lot? Does it mean he needed sex twice a day, five times a day or twice a week? Does it mean he did with animals? Does it mean he was homosexual?

Secondly, has she considered any factors that could have impacted on his handwriting style and thus rendered the analysis invalid? For example, was the writer dyslexic? Was the writer left handed? Did the writer have an injury to his hand on the day of writing? Does the writer have a coordination problem that results in handwriting characteristics such as pressing down heavily when writing (to gain more control) or indeed creating these large loops (again, to keep more control over the pen, to keep the movement going so that letters can be formed).

Even if she could prove that Tumblety wrote the letter, it wouldn't prove that he was the Ripper.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
Does it mean he did with animals?
Only if he dotted his "i"s with smilies.

Yours truly,

--J.D.

P.S. And that is how it works. Someone starts with a conclusion or is given information from cold reading, and then reads it into the analysis. "Jack musta been a sexual maniac" so looking at the letters there must be "evidence he is a sexual maniac" . . . "oh look! Look at the loops!" Then you pick your suspect and find evidence in the writing.

Lather

Rinse

Repeat
Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Chief Inspector

I have a few students who dot their iis with smilies! It's nearly always girls who do that. It is perhaps a sign that they are trying to please! (here i go, catching the analysis bug!!)

Yes, Dr X, you're quite right, it's just like Ms Cornwell with her look-at-a-few-Sickert-paintings-notice-they deal-with-murder-and-other-murky-topics-realise-he-was-alive-at-the-time-of-the-murders-and-conclude-he-must-be-the-Ripper approach to logic.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Sergeant

Ms. Dresbold was ( briefly) a member of JTRForums.com...but never really got involved. I swear I did not pinch her.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
Wow, so Dr Tumblety is alleged to have written a letter, Walter Sickert is alleged to have written a letter.

All good and well, but this proves one thing and one thing only.

They were letter writers!!

Certainly not Jack the Ripper!!
Hmmm. A. Dr. Tumblety allegedly wrote a letter. B. Sickert allegedly wrote a letter. C. Dr. Tumblety was Walter Sickert.

Yep. That works.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Detective

Thanks all for your replies. I myself put zero stock in the "loops" theory. As someone who has more than a passing interest in calligraphy, printing, handwriting, and fonts, I can assure you that loopy letters are pretty typical of this period and were considered stylish. The Victorians spent a lot of time on their handwriting, and that reflects improvements in pen, ink and paper technology, as well as the increasing importance of the post and letter writing. Someone with more knowledge than I might actually be able to draw conclusions about where the writer was educated and even which copy book he used.

More interesting is the forensic graphology claim that the same person wrote both letters. Remember, this is the letter with the kidney attached to it, so the real question would be whether Tumblety had access to any diseased kidneys.

I take it no other qualified forensic analysts have come forward with support of the claim? I think we can dismiss it as another quack theory then.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Commisioner

How"s boasting again
Old 04-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Superintendent

Out of control sexually, god I hope no one ever reads my handwriting, I am like a sexual tyranasaurus!!

I "Like" the idea of graphology but my intrest goes no further than that, the problem I have is that it is not selective enough.

How many other Americans with links to Ireland where in Whitechapel during the period?

We don't know, and that leaves it, at least for me, inconclusive.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Sergeant

Nats:

Not boasting dear..just a clarification !

Mike:

Out of control sexually, god I hope no one ever reads my handwriting, I am like a sexual tyranasaurus!!

We don't know, and that leaves it, at least for me, inconclusive

If thats the case... you being a sexual Tyrannosaurus...then um, your arms are too short for huggin' the missus...and a couple of other things I can think of.

You wouldn't be "sapiently inconclusive" would you?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I myself put zero stock in the "loops" theory. As someone who has more than a passing interest in calligraphy, printing, handwriting, and fonts, I can assure you that loopy letters are pretty typical of this period and were considered stylish. The Victorians spent a lot of time on their handwriting, and that reflects improvements in pen, ink and paper technology, as well as the increasing importance of the post and letter writing. Someone with more knowledge than I might actually be able to draw conclusions about where the writer was educated and even which copy book he used.

More interesting is the forensic graphology claim that the same person wrote both letters. Remember, this is the letter with the kidney attached to it, so the real question would be whether Tumblety had access to any diseased kidneys.

I take it no other qualified forensic analysts have come forward with support of the claim? I think we can dismiss it as another quack theory then.
Hi Christine, People of that era did have fine handwriting, didn't they? On top of which they knew how to use words exquisitely, almost a discarded art now. Gee, I guess you could say they knew how to write.

Sorry. Dumb joke.

Do you have to be artistically talented to do calligraphy? I used to draw and paint, but never calligraphy.