Other Hobbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    Oooo I used to for forty years live 5 miles away from one of the coolest beaches in the world for sea glassing. I now have a 180 mile trip home to see my dad as often as possible but always go to the beach.
    first of all what kind of sea glass is that!!! what was it from originally?
    I have never found anything like that!

secondly-what beach are you talking about?

I do my beachcombing at Bethany Beach Delaware, where we have a place.
    sea glass is getting harder to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Does masturbation count as a hobby?
      LOL. now that's funny.

Comment

Oooo I used to for forty years live 5 miles away from one of the coolest beaches in the world for sea glassing. I now have a 180 mile trip home to see my dad as often as possible but always go to the beach.
        wait wait! I got it-its from an old marble?
        or antique glass and ceramic stopper?

Comment

Archaeology of the Ancient Near East concerning the end of the Late Bronze Age involving Egypt, the Levant & the Hittites, and unraveling the so-called Sea Peoples phenomena.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Archaeology of the Ancient Near East concerning the end of the Late Bronze Age involving Egypt, the Levant & the Hittites, and unraveling the so-called Sea Peoples phenomena.
            Whaaaaat..???
            Don't you mean Sea Monkeys phenomena?

Comment

Reading / writing fiction and poetry.
              World History.
              Science-fiction and fantasy.
              Movies and television.
              Collecting teddy bears.
              Genealogy research (newbie at using Ancestory.com)
              Learning something new daily.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Gee, you, me, and Steve out to form a new website or thread! Have you ever visited any of the archeological sites in the Mideast? I never have, and now I fear it may be too dangerous for tourist.

Anyone out there also interested in the Minoan/Cretan civilization? Or Troy?

Just curious.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  first of all what kind of sea glass is that!!! what was it from originally?
                  I have never found anything like that!

secondly-what beach are you talking about?
                  It's called end of day glass. It was not a marble or anything else. The beach is on the north east coast of England called 'Seaham' (please Google Seaham Sea Glass.) There was a glass factory on the coast in Victorian (Jack the Ripper times lol) that used to mix all the unused glass at the and of the day and dump it in the sea. Over the years this glass has become formed by the sea and produces some rather lovely colourful pieces.
                  I can remember as a child playing on the beach and it would literally be covered in glass, nowadays when its more desirable its far harder to find.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    Hey Patrick
                    I'm a hUUUUUGe Doors fan. Have all their music and Morrisons poetry books and a ton of biographies including manzareks you mention.

I find the best one though is still No One Here Gets Out Alive.

I also used to build gold fish ponds. Dont have one now but perhaps that's a project Ill do with my son soon. Have a pretty cool fish tank though-we go down to the creek and catch minnows and critters and throw them in there.
                    waterbugs crayfish salamanders snails whatever we catch.
                    The coolest thing though is a foot long spiny eel we bought at the pet store when we first set it up-have him forever and he definitely rules the tank LOL.
                    I have No One Hear Gets Out Alive. Haven't read it for years but read it innumerable times as a kid. Still remember most of it. I was a huge Doors fan until my mid-twenties, I'd say. I still have a lot of Doors Vinyl: The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting for Sun, Soft Parade, Morrison Hotel, Absolutely Live, LA Woman, Best of The Doors, Doors Greatest Hits, Alive She Cried and about a dozen 'bootlegs' (THAT was a hobby! We used to go all over town looking for Doors bootlegs. Various record stores. You'd come across something you'd never seen before and it was like rolling the dice. You get home, take it out of the sleeve. Usually just plain white labels on both sides, no print. Put in on the turntable. Hope the sound was good. Hope the Doors were in good form that night (some live performance's I have are TERRIBLE). I miss that. Is it still a thing? Can you still do that?

I'm not into their music much anymore. I find the tracks on LA Woman and a few from Morrison Hotel are cool once in awhile. Particularly, The Spy, Maggie McGill, You Make me Real, Hyacinth House, Been Down So Long (love Krieger's slide guitar on that track...Can't duplicate it!). From the earlier stuff I find I can't tolerate The End or When the Music's Over at ALL anymore. Played the hell out of them years ago and I now I find them really pretentious and bloated. I'll listen to Back Door Man every now and then. Really good bluesy track. I don't like the way the first album was produced, though. Strange Days had a little less of that 'softened' production (for lack of a better term). By the time Morrison Hotel came around I think the production was a little more basic and more appealing to me. LA Woman, to me, still holds up really well. Under-produced, recorded in the band's office, vocals in a bathroom, not a ton of track overlay, less psychedelic and more blues.

I just wrote a Doors treatise, didn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                      I have No One Hear Gets Out Alive. Haven't read it for years but read it innumerable times as a kid. Still remember most of it. I was a huge Doors fan until my mid-twenties, I'd say. I still have a lot of Doors Vinyl: The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting for Sun, Soft Parade, Morrison Hotel, Absolutely Live, LA Woman, Best of The Doors, Doors Greatest Hits, Alive She Cried and about a dozen 'bootlegs' (THAT was a hobby! We used to go all over town looking for Doors bootlegs. Various record stores. You'd come across something you'd never seen before and it was like rolling the dice. You get home, take it out of the sleeve. Usually just plain white labels on both sides, no print. Put in on the turntable. Hope the sound was good. Hope the Doors were in good form that night (some live performance's I have are TERRIBLE). I miss that. Is it still a thing? Can you still do that?

I'm not into their music much anymore. I find the tracks on LA Woman and a few from Morrison Hotel are cool once in awhile. Particularly, The Spy, Maggie McGill, You Make me Real, Hyacinth House, Been Down So Long (love Krieger's slide guitar on that track...Can't duplicate it!). From the earlier stuff I find I can't tolerate The End or When the Music's Over at ALL anymore. Played the hell out of them years ago and I now I find them really pretentious and bloated. I'll listen to Back Door Man every now and then. Really good bluesy track. I don't like the way the first album was produced, though. Strange Days had a little less of that 'softened' production (for lack of a better term). By the time Morrison Hotel came around I think the production was a little more basic and more appealing to me. LA Woman, to me, still holds up really well. Under-produced, recorded in the band's office, vocals in a bathroom, not a ton of track overlay, less psychedelic and more blues.

I just wrote a Doors treatise, didn't I?
                      yes you did. LOL.
                      I'm the exact opposite-I still find all their music eclectic and innovative and interesting. They are truly original and I think still holds up extremely well especially compared to a lot of music that was coming out at the time. I think they are the greatest American rock band.

I also think Morrison was one of the greatest crooners ever, and his lyrics (poems really) beautiful.

oh and yes! Kreigers slide is awesome!!!!
                      Last edited by Abby Normal; 01-28-2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

It's called end of day glass. It was not a marble or anything else. The beach is on the north east coast of England called 'Seaham' (please Google Seaham Sea Glass.) There was a glass factory on the coast in Victorian (Jack the Ripper times lol) that used to mix all the unused glass at the and of the day and dump it in the sea. Over the years this glass has become formed by the sea and produces some rather lovely colourful pieces.
                        I can remember as a child playing on the beach and it would literally be covered in glass, nowadays when its more desirable its far harder to find.
                        awesome! Thanks!

Yes sea glass has become kind of a cottage industry and a lot of people collect it and its getting really hard to find now. I used to find at least 4-5 pieces a year but now well I havnt found a piece in a couple of years.

My best find is a about a hundred year old piece of deep blue cobalt.

My kids are into beach combing now too and well make nick nacks and stuff with what we find for decorating our beach house- gluing shells on driftwood that sort of thing.

Comment

I have to confess, I can't stand the Doors. Just hate them.

On the other hand I did renaissance festivals for living for like, 15 years, so I'm clearly not some arbiter of taste or anything.

And never let it be said that I don't have a deep appreciation for all things tacky or nerd related.
                          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                            Gee, you, me, and Steve out to form a new website or thread! Have you ever visited any of the archeological sites in the Mideast? I never have, and now I fear it may be too dangerous for tourist.

Anyone out there also interested in the Minoan/Cretan civilization? Or Troy?

Just curious.

Jeff
                            Sure, the Cretans, Minoans, Trojans, Phoenicians-- all very interesting. I've read about them at a lay person's level-- not a scholar or anything.
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Professionally, I'm an actor. Writing was my first love, and I got back to it for the past 4 years. Got a novel and three short stories published, and two radio drama produced.

My hobby is collecting strange and beautiful images I find on the web, and publish them on my blog, since the days before tumblr.

Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                                Professionally, I'm an actor. Writing was my first love, and I got back to it for the past 4 years. Got a novel and three short stories published, and two radio drama produced.

My hobby is collecting strange and beautiful images I find on the web, and publish them on my blog, since the days before tumblr.

http://www.lepirateesthete.com
                                Thank you for the website Sir John. I liked some of the pictures you collected.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X