No announcement yet.

What was the approximate position GSG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the approximate position GSG?

Hi guy's

First time poster but long time follower. This past year I have been able to spend a lot of time studying the Ripper murders and have a lot of things I need help with. The first is the exact proximately (if poss) of the graffiti. I have seen many pictures of the doorway but was wondering where was it exactley? Basically I'm trying to determine if it was visible from the street itself or would you have to peer inside the entrance to see it?

Cheers guys

Alucard

Hi Alucard

Hopefully, if you click on the following link, and look at post 126 for a mock visual on where the graffiti was located.

Hope this is of help to you

Comment

Originally posted by alucard View Post

Hi guy's

First time poster but long time follower. This past year I have been able to spend a lot of time studying the Ripper murders and have a lot of things I need help with. The first is the exact proximately (if poss) of the graffiti. I have seen many pictures of the doorway but was wondering where was it exactley? Basically I'm trying to determine if it was visible from the street itself or would you have to peer inside the entrance to see it?

Cheers guys

Alucard
      Hi Alucard and welcome to the Casebook forums.

I think to hazard a decent guess on this you would have to use the authorities premise that the writing if left in place in daylight hours would "cause a riot".

Once you are through that archway you enter a lane where The Model Dwellings were located, an urban low income housing project, and these were almost entirely occupied by Jewish people.

They would not think to riot based on that message.

So the message must have had high visibility for at least 1 direction of foot traffic on Goulston, so Gentiles might see this... and in the authorities imaginations, wreak havoc upon the Jews in the neighborhood as a result.

So, facing the street would be the best bet.

Since the message is still unclear 120 years later, perhaps they panicked for no reason, and since the archway could easily have been covered by a tarp for some photos before erasing it........."you have to wonder, how bad was this blunder".

Best regards

Comment

Alucard,

Jon has quite rightly and kindly placed a link to the approriate thread.

Stewart Evans once told me that 'Warren was quite clear in when he stated the writing was located on the door jamb'.

Whilst it can never be ascertained with any great certainty, my position, and that of a good many others, is as below.

A great piece of work by Wickerman showing the favoured location.
        Attached Files
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X