Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Sam Flynn 2 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by rjpalmer 34 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by rjpalmer 41 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 53 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 21 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (29 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - (10 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (4 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (2 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #351  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
At a stage where there is a suspect, profiling has no value at all and no police force will engage any profiler to help out. It is only if the suspect can be exonerated that the police must take a step back and start from the beginning all over again. If the suspect instead matches the criteria, the case for guilt is immensely strengthened and prosecution is likely around the corner.
But Lechmere is not a suspect on the basis of a single murder having been committed on his legitimate route to work. He doesn't even begin to match the 'criteria' geographically, unless you can demonstrate very strongly that he was in the immediate vicinity of other murders as they happened. This wasn't a tiny rural village, Fish. The area was teeming at all hours of day and night with men between the ages of 16 and 60, any of whom could have been unlucky enough to pass within yards of where one woman would shortly be, or had just been attacked in the street, and also to have been within easy walking distance of other similar crimes in that same overcrowded district, without having had anything to do with any of them.

Your 'case for guilt' relies for its very existence on Lechmere having been generous enough to identify himself as just one of those men, which allowed you to take what little is known about him, bulk it out with half-baked speculation and pour the worst possible interpretation all over it, instead of giving him any benefit of the doubt.

I know - or at least I think I know - you would not do this in a real life court situation, if serving on a jury and asked to deliver your verdict on the evidence. You would acquit in a heartbeat on the grounds of reasonable doubt. Why you would treat Lechmere so differently, because this is a cold case and he is history, being long dead, is something you must have rationalised to your own satisfaction. Yes, it's just an old murder mystery, which anyone is entitled to have a crack at, but no, that doesn't mean a case for guilt, seemingly made out of thin air and little else, should be stomached by your cold case jury here. You can force feed it to us all you want, but don't be surprised to see it come up again all over your shoes - carrots, sweetcorn and all.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
It is a very common trait, and it is the base for the profiling business that is discussed out here. The reason lies in how the killer has comfort zones where he feels at ease. Such comfort zones need not be around his home only, they can be anywhere that he has been and where he knows the grounds. For example, when Ridgway was nicked, his wife realized that many of the murder spots were places that Gary had taken her to for picnics and such. He scouted the areas first, and killed there afterwards, knowing the grounds.
That's a bit different from your argument that Lechmere would have had legitimate reasons for being at or near each murder location at the time that it happened. Presumably Ridgway didn't kill anyone on his way to or from one of those scouting outings with the wife, while she averted her eyes. So what would his legitimate reasons have been for going there, or being seen there, around the time a murder was committed? He could hardly have said "I was enjoying a picnic for one - who doesn't?"

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
And the beauty of it from Joe Bloggs's point of view is that he wouldn't have already volunteered his identity as the first man to be seen with the woman butchered in Buck's Row while on his usual route to work! So he'd have been in a far better position to murder again the following weekend in Hanbury St, then again in all those other places, without the risk of anyone saying: "Hang on, this same Joe Bloggs can also be connected in time and place with the Chapman, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly murders" - whether Joe Bloggs could be thus connected or not. And Bloggs would have been infinitely better off in practice if he could not.
Lech the Ripper does seem to have made life difficult for himself.

He waits to approach the first witness to arrive instead of chancing his escape.
He accompanies said witness to find a policeman, despite the bloodstains and murder weapon he might still have on his person.
He voluntarily comes forward to attend the murder inquest.
He gives his christian name, home address and place of work to the authorities, thus enabling them to keep tabs on him.
After his close shave in Buck's Row, he continues to commit murders at sites along his work route.

Luckily for Lech, the keystone cops never did their homework and he was allowed to run amok in Whitechapel.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Problem: There is no Joe Bloggs we know of. And if we did, he would not even be a person of interest. Living nearby a murder scene is not suspicious in any shape or form.
Assuming the ripper was never suspected at the time, could it not have been precisely because no connections were ever made between him and his victims or crime scenes, and Joe Bloggs the serial killer remained sensibly anonymous, giving away no freebie connections of his own?

There is no 'problem', Fish, if this was indeed the case; it is surely a very likely explanation for the murderer not being identified. But I can see how it would tend to scupper your own efforts to finger one of the relatively tiny number of named individuals involved in some way.

Your problem, as I see it, is that you have yet to establish just one proven connection between Lechmere and a Whitechapel murder, away from Buck's Row, Polly Nichols and one morning in August.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov



Last edited by caz : 11-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
It remains that a man with a proven presence or reason to be present is a much better candidate than anyone without those attributes, regardless if he lived in a hole in the ground under one of the victims. Which would mean that he DID have a link, but you will no doubt get my drift.
So if you were a policeman in 1888, Fish, and you stopped and questioned every man you saw in the immediate vicinity and aftermath of a murder, you would have rounded up all those who had legitimate reasons for being there, and treated them as likely suspects, while anyone who could not account for his movements innocently, you would send on his way with a cheery goodnight, because no self-respecting serial killer would ever be that stupid?

Is this what you truly believe? That it's more suspicious if someone has an innocent reason for being near a crime scene than if they don't?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov



Last edited by caz : 11-15-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:28 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,435
Default

Just a quick update.
As many will know I moved in late summer from London to Glasgow.
And I was expecting the book to be ready this week. However l moved into a 1 bed flat 24th October, at very short notice, and it has taken more time than i expected to set up.

Therefore the book is knocked back by a month, it is a great pity it will not be out for Xmas, but expect it very early in January.


Again sorry for the delay.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
So if you were a policeman in 1888, Fish, and you stopped and questioned every man you saw in the immediate vicinity and aftermath of a murder, you would have rounded up all those who had legitimate reasons for being there, and treated them as likely suspects, while anyone who could not account for his movements innocently, you would send on his way with a cheery goodnight, because no self-respecting serial killer would ever be that stupid?

Is this what you truly believe? That it's more suspicious if someone has an innocent reason for being near a crime scene than if they don't?

Love,

Caz
X
Steve has explicitly asked not to have this thread of his hijacked, and so whatever questions, misinterpretations and falsities you have that are not dealing with his book should be presented on another thread/s.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:46 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Steve has explicitly asked not to have this thread of his hijacked, and so whatever questions, misinterpretations and falsities you have that are not dealing with his book should be presented on another thread/s.

If you mean stay on topic, the Bucks Row project, that is very true. Thank you for reminding people Christer, looking at the posting dates i think Caz may have missed my request, it happens.

However of course questions about the work or the delay are very welcome and are on topic.


Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 11-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,388
Default

Apologies, Steve. I did miss your request, posting my responses to previous posts on this thread before I saw it, by which time it was too late to un-post them, and I reckoned that if anyone wanted to respond to my responses, they would do the necessary transferring of all the related posts to another thread. I had/have no desire to do so myself.

Good luck with the book!

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.