Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square

Hello all,

Two days ago I was in Mitre Square. I also went into the school next door and had a long talk with one of the secretaries there. She had been at the school 25 years and told me much of the history of the school and the use of the playground, especially the bottom end where there used to be houses inside the (now) perimeter of the school. These houses fronted on to Mitre Street, I was told.
    However the main part of our talk was about the scheduled knocking down and rebuilding of the square, especially the 'Kearly and Tonges' side. According to the lady, work will be starting in about 2 weeks time, 3 days before the start of the school holidays. After a 4 year battle, the school itself and its perimeter wall will remian untouched as it is a grade 2 listed building.

Objections have been raised by the school against proposed cafe and bar proposals next to the school. And further problems await because of the amount of buried corpses under the sight, which sits on the site of an old priory.

I gained much info about Mitre Square on Tuesday (3rd July) that I did not know before and have passed this on for others to look into.

Im glad I was there to see it one last time before the work starts.

By the way. A bench is still on the murder spot with the brass plaque worded 'Buy now, pay later' upon the back rest. I wonder who paid for that plaque?

Best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-06-2012, 01:51 AM.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

I was in the square at about 2:30 this morning (just finished work), the scaffolding is up on the disused office block and the old priory, you can still walk down church passage but, I think Mitre passage is as good as blocked.

There are big containers in front of the office block and the cobbles are free to walk on but, for how long? Great shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1n View Post
      I was in the square at about 2:30 this morning (just finished work), the scaffolding is up on the disused office block and the old priory, you can still walk down church passage but, I think Mitre passage is as good as blocked.

There are big containers in front of the office block and the cobbles are free to walk on but, for how long? Great shame.
      What are they to build there? You mean the passageway is going to be destroyed?

Yes, that is a great shame. I love that little passageway. It's so...different.

Btw, not to get off subject but that little passage seems a likely way for him to have gone, being so close to the body and a kind of dark secretive out. Is that what is generally believed?

Comment

Was in Mitre Square this afternoon and the windows of Priory house are now being removed, so I guess it's started.

Sorry I don't have a picture.

Comment

By the way. A bench is still on the murder spot with the brass plaque worded 'Buy now, pay later' upon the back rest. I wonder who paid for that plaque?
          Well its obviously an anagram !! ( A new pub Royalty )

BTW does anyone know , which if any are the original setts from 1888 ?

cheers

moonbegger

Comment

I read on here somewhere that none of them are original, certainly, they apparently were re-laid some time ago.

Comment

Is the murder site with the benches still going to be there? It's one of the best sites for Ripper enthusiasts to sit and reflect. I'm planning another visit there next year and I'll be so disappointed if it's gone.

Comment

I'm surprised they would tear down such a famous location. Doesn't the English Heritage Foundation regard this as important? Or any sort of group fighting to keep it?

Comment

Trouble is Barbara, being realistic, virtually everywhere in Britain either has "history" or is a place of outstanding natural beauty...as a society we need space to develop somewhere...

all the best

Dave

Comment

I think you also have to consider that the people in Whitechapel have never been happy with Whitechapel just being thought of or visited because of a series of murders.

Perhaps we would feel the same if it was us.

Best wishes.

Comment

English heritage?

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                      I'm surprised they would tear down such a famous location. Doesn't the English Heritage Foundation regard this as important? Or any sort of group fighting to keep it?
                      I think when political and local Government officials smell a backhander, nothing stands in the way, look out for St Paul's, if the back hander is big enough they'd sell it off.

I think it's important to note that, we do desperately need more offices in the city.

Could it be that the Mayor is setting himself up for a nice little number when his time is up as Mayor, why would someone who is supposed to represent London do such a thing?

He should be hanged, over the top, I think not?

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        Was in Mitre Square this afternoon and the windows of Priory house are now being removed, so I guess it's started.

Sorry I don't have a picture.
                        I do now, this was taken on Monday. Note that on top of the building opposite sits a mechanical digger, I assume which is going to be used to knock down some of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-24 18.15.17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	665011

Comment

Working...
                        X