Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When and Why Were Murder Sites Demolished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and Why Were Murder Sites Demolished?

I know 29 Hanbury Street was razed in the late 1960s. And Miller's Court in the '20s. Can anyone tell me why these historic sites were destroyed? The houses on Hanbury Street would have been beautiful if they were restored. I understand that Miller's Court was considered very seedy and some residents were probably happy to see it go. But they could have restored it to respectability without destroying it.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have the history of the other sites?

Hello Richard,
    Like everywhere else changes galore, I hate change, I would love to live once again in the 1960s, and walk along the same streets as I did then , but many have gone, dont exist any more, local parks are now council estates.
    I was lucky enough to have visited the murder scenes in 1965, I had first been to the area in 63, but not the spots.
    In 1965, I visited the scenes of the crimes, on the dates , at the time the murders occured approx, I wanted to experience what it would have been like some 77 years previous.
    So I was lucky enough to experience Bucks row which had changed little
    29 Hanbury street was there, I touched the door fainty before moving on.Mitre square was atmospheric, very creepy.
    My regret is as a 18 year old Rocker, I was not into cameras, so i only have my memories, but I am glad i experienced that, even if it scared the daylights out of me.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

I visited all the murder sites in 2008. The former Buck's Row, Mitre Square, and Gunthorpe Street are still pretty creepy. Funny how we want them to remain creepy, isn't it? Communities, though, often want to recover from past horrors rather than remembering them. I don't think even the house that now stands where the Charles Manson/Sharon Tate murders happened is the one that was there then. True crime afficionados like ourselves would like to see these sites preserved, but cities usually tend to not see them as historical.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard E. Nixon View Post
        I know 29 Hanbury Street was razed in the late 1960s. And Miller's Court in the '20s. Can anyone tell me why these historic sites were destroyed? The houses on Hanbury Street would have been beautiful if they were restored. I understand that Miller's Court was considered very seedy and some residents were probably happy to see it go. But they could have restored it to respectability without destroying it.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have the history of the other sites?
        George Yard Buildings - 1973 (slum clearance)
        Buck's Row houses -1972 / Essex Wharf 1990 (slum clearance)
        29 Hanbury Street - 1970 (Brewery expansion)
        Berner Street/Dutfield's Yard - 1909 (to build a school)
        Mitre Square - various between 1950s and 1979 (redevelopment)
        Dorset Street - north side 1928, south side 1963 (extensions to market)

Hope this answers your question!

Comment

Hello Kensei,
          When one stands in Bucks row at 330am, on the very date of the murder which I experienced in 1965, ones imagination runs away, and the word creepy very much comes to the fore.
          I do remember the erie silence, nothing but me, and history, that was the impression i had with all my visits.
          I remember the only time I walked the ''entire length'' of Duval street[ Dorset] was much later, middle-late 1970s walking towards the church, the throughway was deserted,even though it was mid afternoon, I could see traffic going by on commercial street , but heard nothing just my own foot steps, it was very erie, something I have never forgot...weird.
          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
            I visited all the murder sites in 2008. The former Buck's Row, Mitre Square, and Gunthorpe Street are still pretty creepy. Funny how we want them to remain creepy, isn't it? Communities, though, often want to recover from past horrors rather than remembering them. I don't think even the house that now stands where the Charles Manson/Sharon Tate murders happened is the one that was there then. True crime afficionados like ourselves would like to see these sites preserved, but cities usually tend to not see them as historical.
            How did you get Mitre Square as creepy?

There's the large school on one side and modern office buildings along Mitre Street.

Mitre Square has atmosphere, I'll admit. But creepy? I've been there in the morning, afternoon and around 9pm. Not creepy to me.

But 1888 I'd agree.
            http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nothing to see View Post
              How did you get Mitre Square as creepy?

There's the large school on one side and modern office buildings along Mitre Street.

Mitre Square has atmosphere, I'll admit. But creepy? I've been there in the morning, afternoon and around 9pm. Not creepy to me.

But 1888 I'd agree.
              Well, it was creepy at night. I was also there in the daytime with people streaming through it and that was different, but at night I was on Phil Hutchinson's tour and there was no one else but his group there and his narrative added quite a bit of atmosphere. Plus, it is one of the places where you can still stand on the very spot where the victim's body lay. That adds a lot of creepiness.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                Hello Kensei,
                When one stands in Bucks row at 330am, on the very date of the murder which I experienced in 1965, ones imagination runs away, and the word creepy very much comes to the fore.
                I do remember the erie silence, nothing but me, and history, that was the impression i had with all my visits.
                I remember the only time I walked the ''entire length'' of Duval street[ Dorset] was much later, middle-late 1970s walking towards the church, the throughway was deserted,even though it was mid afternoon, I could see traffic going by on commercial street , but heard nothing just my own foot steps, it was very erie, something I have never forgot...weird.
                Regards Richard.
                What struck me most was visiting the Mary Kelly site and feeling practically no emotional impact at all due to how much it has changed, but then walking for a couple of minutes over to "Mary's Corner" where the Ten Bells sits across the street from Christchurch and picturing that fallen Catholic girl conducting her business there as that church loomed over her. It made me wonder what kind of thoughts must have gone through her head then and there, and I felt her presence quite palpably.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                  Well, it was creepy at night. I was also there in the daytime with people streaming through it and that was different, but at night I was on Phil Hutchinson's tour and there was no one else but his group there and his narrative added quite a bit of atmosphere. Plus, it is one of the places where you can still stand on the very spot where the victim's body lay. That adds a lot of creepiness.
                  That's what the Ripper tours are meant to do. But if you wandered in there and you didn't know anything about Jack, well, to me, it's just a pleasant place to sit for a bit before you move on. It has atmosphere, like I said, but most of inner London has that, especially at night.

But you're right, it's one of the last few spots where you can stand where Jack probably did.
                  http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Hi ,
                    I can assure everyone that in 1965 Mitre square was very different, then the one we all know today, the square resembled what it was back in 1888, and to stand there at 130 am on the morning of the 30th september, having just legged it from Henriques street, it was almost like I was Jack, not the 18year wearing a donkey jacket.
                    What a strange lad I was , now... nothings changed except, I am now only 13 months away from retirement.
                    Looking back its fifty years since I started reading about JTR, and I still cant catch him......
                    Regards Richard.

Comment

The Mire Square site, the fence outside the school on Henriquies Street, the end of that wall that extends out from the old Board School on Durward Street, the sign on the wall of the Spitalfields Fruit Exchange that says "Danger Forklift Trucks" (if I am remembering that correctly)- all places where one may stand on the same square yards where Jack did his terrible work.

Comment

Hi,
                        I guess its all in ones mind, but when I visit Whitechapel/ aldgate the area has a special feel about it.
                        The Ten bells is a very atmospheric building, I sat many a time in there, in the very early days when it became The Jack the Ripper , and supped a few pints, then usually dying to go to the loo, while on the underground back to Victoria.
                        Living in Reigate, it was a long way to go for a few jars.
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                          Hi ,
                          I can assure everyone that in 1965 Mitre square was very different, then the one we all know today, the square resembled what it was back in 1888, and to stand there at 130 am on the morning of the 30th september, having just legged it from Henriques street, it was almost like I was Jack, not the 18year wearing a donkey jacket.
                          What a strange lad I was , now... nothings changed except, I am now only 13 months away from retirement.
                          Looking back its fifty years since I started reading about JTR, and I still cant catch him......
                          Regards Richard.

Richard, if you were much older I'd seriously consider you a suspect.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                            I am a better one then Hutchinson, as long as I am not dragged away to be identified at a seaside home.
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

Swallow Gardens Chamber Street end holds a unique place for me.

Its the only place where I check around as I walk along.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X