Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 38 minutes ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Robert 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by MrBarnett 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Debra A 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by MrBarnett 6 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Abby Normal 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - (17 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (6 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (1 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > General Victim Discussion

Old 08-07-2016, 07:06 AM
Detective

Richard

My reading was that they were incapacitated by direct carotid artery pressure with some form of gag to muffle any residual scream (+/- chloroform or ether) before the throat was cut. The thought of the sheet being used to disguise who he was killing hadn't occurred

Thanks

Paul
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Assistant Commissioner

The question of whether or not these women were prostitutes and whether they were actually soliciting the night they were killed tends to get lumped together.

The police described them as unfortunates or prostitutes. I don't think they simply pulled that description out of a hat. In order to aid in catching the killer they needed to identify some connection among the victims. So I think it is a reasonable assumption that they had some basis for making that determination. We also know that the police considered the idea of dressing up as prostitutes. Why do that if it was non-prostitutes that were being attacked?

Now as to evidence that the women were in fact actively soliciting the night they were killed, what evidence would that be? Was it a requirement that they let someone know of their intentions or were they required to sign some document? Proving that they were in fact soliciting is difficult but it is much easier if we rely on what is more likely so.

Some have argued that if it can be shown that they were not ACTIVELY soliciting then they could not have been a Ripper victim. That argument would seem to fall short given the fact that these women were poor and had a fondness for alcohol. Even if they were not actively soliciting, we have no way of knowing their response to being approached by Jack with a reasonable story that he just got paid and wanted to have a good time and was willing to double the going price.

In conclusion it would seem that all of these women had at least some connection to prostitution even if it was only on occasion. Is that simply a coincidence and not significant? Even if a case can be made that they were not actively soliciting, is it really such a strong case that it would absolutely eliminate them as a Ripper victim?

c.d.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:27 AM
Commisioner

Default hints

Hello KJAB. Thanks.

Quite. Of course, Polly and Annie hinted at it--verbally.

Cheers.
LC
Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 AM
Commisioner

Default Faith without works is dead.

Hello CD. Thanks.

But IF one makes a leap of faith (as per Kierkegaard), there should be some results.

After 125+ years, where are they?

Cheers.
LC
Old 08-08-2016, 04:34 AM
Commisioner

Default victimology

Hello (again) CD. Nice argument.

No, it would not eliminate them as "Ripper victims." But it might render moot the talk about victimology and all the women of the same walk.

Cheers.
LC
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi,
I believe without a doubt that Mary Kelly knew her killer, and well at that, the sheet initially placed over her head when attacked, gives a true indication of that.
Regards Richard.
Isn't it possible that, if she was awake enough to cry out when attacked, she pulled the sheet over her own head in an instinctive attempt (sadly futile) to protect herself?
Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
I wouldn't think they were prostitutes in the traditional sense. Only when times got tough. Eddowes went hopping, Chapman was reported to selling sewn trinkets of sorts. I don't know about Nichols and Stride if they did anything of the sort.

Kelly was probably the only prostitute by trade and most likely a maneater based on Barnett's testimony. She apparently only went out on the streets when she didn't have a man taking care of her.

Columbo
I disagree, only Eddowes seem to evade all allusion of prostitution, even casual.

Tabram was known to rely on the trade when times were rough.
Nichols was indeed solliciting for her doss money the very night she was killed.
Chapman was known to bring a man back to the doss house.
Stride had several convinction for prostitution in Sweden.
Eddowes, like I said, I can't find anything that points into prostitution.
Kelly was at one point a high end prostitute in a west end bordello.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Cadet

To be honest, I think it's questionable whether any of them were actually prostitutes, but rather, I think it's a case of how society construed them - women who had sex outside of marriage were seen as fallen. It was as black and white as that. However, a great many poor people's marriages fell apart or their spouses died and they took up with someone else - or a succession of other people, much as we would today. Unfortunately, women needed to rely on men in the Victorian era - being footloose and fancy free wasn't a state to which any woman would aspire for social and practical reasons. The canonical five were branded as prostitutes by the police because they were down-and-outs - they were degraded in every way - poor, alcoholic and shacking up with someone to whom they weren't legally married was part and parcel of what made them reviled by the newspaper reading public. I don't feel there is any real substantial evidence to make a case for them being called prostitutes. The witness statements are all extremely woolly - so much so that they are constant source of dispute on this forum. Can we believe anything anyone said? I have a hard time believing that anyone could recognise anyone's face at night on the streets of pitch black Whitechapel. And in the case of Elizabeth Stride and MJK, who we know were prostitutes - does having been one once mean that you are forever tarred with that brush? That's pretty damning.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Superintendent

To be strictly fair, few serial killers target prostitutes BECAUSE they are prostitutes. They target prostitutes because prostitutes are not super safety conscious, are vulnerable, they go off with strange men, and are less likely to be missed. So any women who also fit those criteria even if they are not selling sex are also likely to be targets. Homeless women for example.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Sergeant

Hello Madame Detective,

Point well made.

"Prostitute" is a word loaded with connotations, many of which may well not apply in these cases.

"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman