Actresses portraying Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actresses portraying Mary

Just a diversion here from serious deliberation of the case, if I may. Mary Kelly has been portrayed by at least two actresses I know of in movies- Lysette Anthony in the Michael Caine miniseries "Jack the Ripper," and Heather Graham in the Johnny Depp picture "From Hell." In my opinion, Heather looks more like the image of Mary portrayed in artist Jane Coram's reconstructions of the victims, but Lysette came closer to capturing the real Mary as a person in spite of having her hair dyed dark brown and wearing very fancy clothes. Of course "the real Mary" will forever be a mystery though, so I'm really just rambling. At least both actresses nailed the Irish accent very well.

Even though it's mostly fiction, the scene with Lysette Anthony as Mary singing "Sweeeeet Violets..." as the Ripper approaches her door still gets to me every time I watch it.

Here is a small and no way exhaustive list of ladies playing mary kelly
    The Notebooks of Cornelius Crow (2005) (V) Played by Lauren Bigby
    Jack, the Last Victim (2005) (V) Played by Amanda Almond (as Mary Jane Kelly)
    From Hell (2001) Played by Heather Graham
    "The Others"
    - Don't Dream It's Over (2000) TV Episode, Played by Tushka Bergen (as Mary Jane Kelly)

"The Outer Limits"
    ... aka The New Outer Limits (USA: promotional title)
    - Ripper (1999) TV Episode, Played by Mary Ann Skoll (as Mary Jane Kelly)
    The Ripper (1997) (TV) Played by Karen Davitt

Jack the Ripper (1988) (TV) Played by Lysette Anthony (as Mary Jane Kelly)

Murder by Decree (1979) Played by Susan Clark
    ... aka Sherlock Holmes and Saucy Jack (USA)
    ... aka Sherlock Holmes: Murder by Decree

Courtesy of IMDB

Mike
    Regards Mike

Comment

I still say I'd love to see Mary Jane Kelly played by Billie Piper. With the right dye-job, I'm sure she'd nail it.
      All my blogs:
      MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

Hello you all!

Since I tend to see MJK's face being pretty, but a bit-adolescent-looking, I'd like to see Reese Witherspoon in the role someday!

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I know it's debated, but I just can't stand to see MJK portrayed with bright red hair. I just don't think it was REAAAALLLY that red. I still say she was either strawberry blonde or dark blonde- not fire engine red. I'm not sure who I'd like to see play MjK. Maybe someone that doesn't have the "Now a day" modern - what we call pretty. Someone that is attractive but not a knock out.
          "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Lysette Anthony will always be my screen MJK.

Comment

The young British actress Jennifer Kidd (who has played leading roles for the Globe and Cheek by Jowl) is currently playing Mary Jane Kelly. She is interesting because she also has an Irish/Welsh background and is about the same age as Mary Kelly when she was killed.

Do come along and see the play - 'The Only Girl in the World' at the Arcola Theatre in the heart of East London: www.arcolatheatre.com

Until 24 May 2008

Some pictures of Jennifer Kidd as Mary Kelly:

Comment

Gimme a break!

Comment

Hi C Staynings,thanks for posting the pic's from the performance. I was under the impression,correct me If I'm wrong,that Jennifer Kidd hailed from Ulster ? I was unaware when I posted my review that she had welsh ancestry as well ! I only hope that her skillfull use of "match and mixing" the two accents was Intentional and directed and not just a coincidence,as this aspect of the production I found most Intriguing ! I've always been of the opinion that If Mary Kelly was alledgedly brought up In Wales from a very early age she was most likely to have had more than a tinge of a Welsh accent. Great new young British actress (should go far),but alas far too pretty for Mary Jane Kelly,who let's face It most likely had a face "like a bucket with a dent In It" ! Bill. PS. Pity about the awfull red hair and her wearing It "up" all the performance !

Comment

Here's The Guardian's review of "The Only Girl in the World".

Comment

Ah well, It just goes to show that you can't please everybody ! I'd still recommend that anybody Interested go and see It and make up you're own mind ! Bill.

Comment

I know this thread is meant only as a bit of fun, but here we go again - sentimentalising Mary Jane Kelly!

Why, for God's sake?

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I've always pictured Kate Winslet playing Kelly. She's just my image of her, vivacious, pretty and curvacious.

I also intend to cast Emma Thomson as Eddowes, Sandra Bullock as Stride, Susan Sarandon as Chapman, Nicole Kidman as Nicholls, Kathy Burke as Tabram, Anthony Hopkins as Sir Charles Warren, Sean Connery as Chief Inspector Swanson, Donald Sutherland as Tumblety, Ben Stiller as Kosminsky, and Hugh Laurie as MJD.

I realise my casting bill may be somewhat exhorbitant...

Comment

Originally posted by Carrotty Nell View Post
                            I've always pictured Kate Winslet playing Kelly. She's just my image of her, vivacious, pretty and curvacious.

I also intend to cast Emma Thomson as Eddowes, Sandra Bullock as Stride, Susan Sarandon as Chapman, Nicole Kidman as Nicholls, Kathy Burke as Tabram, Anthony Hopkins as Sir Charles Warren, Sean Connery as Chief Inspector Swanson, Donald Sutherland as Tumblety, Ben Stiller as Kosminsky, and Hugh Laurie as MJD.

I realise my casting bill may be somewhat exhorbitant...
                            And also, in most cases, WAY off on being age-appropriate. Sorry!
                            All my blogs:
                            MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

Hello Craig!

Since we are neither producers nor script-writers here, we can always use the "worm-hole" thinking!

So; Kate Winslet, why not?!

All the best
                              Jukka
                              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                              X