Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Davis Ward HOAX

The Davis Ward HOAX
    This thread is devoted to the work that myself and my comrade in all things Donston, the eminent researcher, Mike Covell, have found out just today regarding the controversy which existed between the rival factions of Donstonology ( Yeah...its a separate entity within the field...).

The one side which states unequivocably that Donston resided in the Davis Ward has not budged one inch from their position, despite the fact that we, meaning Spiro Dimolianis,Mike and myself have demonstrated that Stephenson resided in the Currie Ward....a fact easily determined by the October 16th letter to the police, which is in the book, Letters From Hell, by Stewart P. Evans and Keith Skinner.

Our side has now got the facts on this issue and I will present them in their entirety for one and all. You will be surprised to find out that despite the two pro-Donston authors being in and ostensibly investigating within the London Hospital for information on Sudden Death, that they overlooked a very important point regarding the Davis Ward.

Two days ago I was at work and for some inexplicable reason decided to open up the "Ultimate" by SPE. I had this strange thought or urge to re-examine the December 26th letter to the police that Stephenson wrote....because I frankly have been waiting for Ivor Edwards to accept my challenge here and at JTR Forums.Com and mention the Dec. 26th letter as PROOF that Stephenson was in the Davis Ward. My original "counter" to this would have been that despite the address on this letter, it was not proof that he was actually in that ward. In all honesty, Ivor could have smoked me by stating that the same could have been said for the October 16th letter addressed from the Currie Ward.

But for some reason I paid more attention to the details in the December 26th letter than I had previously....and I think you will be glad that I did.

To be perfectly honest , I am embarrassed that I allowed this very important point go for as long as it did for so long up until now. I don't think an hour goes by without me thinking of "something" about Stephenson.

The detail that I paid attention to was the comment that Stephenson made which follows:

" Three weeks ago, I was a patient in the London Hospital,in a private ward (Davis) with a Dr. Evans, suffering from Typhoid who used to be visited almost nightly by Dr. (Morgan) Davies when the murders were our usual subject of conversation..."

As I read and re-read it, it struck me that this was a lie of significant magnitude.

I immediately jotted down a list of things to do yesterday and the first was to get Mike Covell to contact the London Hospital, which he did, and find out whether or not patients,such as Donston,without a contagious disease, would be allowed in a ward with a man,this Dr. Evans, who DID have a very contagious disease...typhoid.

Mr. Jonathan Evans sent Mike the following email which proves that Stephenson is either a liar...or that he contracted typhoid during his stay in the LH from July 26th up until December 7th, 1888. I am certain you will see the implications of this email immediately.

Dear Mike

In the early 1900s a separate Isolation Block was built at the hospital for cases like typhoid (which was often referred to as enteric Fever at the time). Before that, there were wards like Davis Ward which were divided up into single rooms and small units for reception of patients with communicable diseases, etc. The hospital drew up special instructions for the nursing of enteric fever cases around 1900 and these were sent to every ward sister in the hospital. Visiting was fairly restricted for all patients (one weekday afternoon and Sunday afternoon - Saturday for Jewish patients) per week. I think a visitors' ticket system had been implemented by the 1880s and tickets to visit patients who were dangerously ill would have been issued sparingly.

Hope this helps

Jonathan Evans
    Trust Archivist
    Royal London Hospital Archives and Museum
    Whitechapel
    London E1 1BB
    Telephone: 020 7377 7608

Furthermore....

Stephenson, a patient without a contagious disease would not have been allowed in a ward or room isolated from individuals with contagious diseases.

Stephenson had no reason to visit Dr. Evans, unless he wanted to get in contact with a man with a contagious disease.

Stephenson either did contract typhoid IF HE WAS IN THE DAVIS WARD and despite this and in line with the theorization of Melvin Harris and his protege, schlepped out at night and then waltzed back in on cat feet to his ward...a ward that was quarantined. A completely unfathomable concept and one that makes the faked neurasthenia hoax seem believable.

I think, unless anyone wishes to counter this, that the issue is resolved that Stephenson was not in the Davis Ward.

His suspectworthiness is for all practical purposes dead.

I welcome counterpoint,as always...

How Brown

Comment

I think that there is some confusion here between the name of the doctor and the name of the ward which are similar, I believe.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Good work, Mike and Howard. And thanks for letting us know so quickly!
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

No confusion,Stephen.

The doctor which Stephenson expressed his opinion as to being the Ripper was Dr. Morgan Davies. He did so in the conversations with George Marsh and which were part of the conversation between Stehenson and Inspector Thomas Roots on December 26th, 1888 at Scotland Yard.

Stephenson, as in the context of the previous posts, was alleged to have been in the Davis Ward.

Comment

Howard,

Your sources are a book by Stewart Evans and a man named Jonathan Evans, relating to an inquiry about a Dr. Evans. This is the most consistent line of inquiry I've ever seen!

Regarding your observation, it is indeed a good one...and so damned obvious that I'm embarrassed we're only now discussing it!

However, do you think you might be a little quick on the draw in calling everything a 'hoax' without acknowledging the other possibilities:

a) D'Onston misremembered
            b) He wrote it for dramatic flair
            c) He was being cryptic
            d) Dr. Evans was no longer contagious when D'Onston moved in with him.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Three weeks ago I was a patient in the London Hospital in a private ward (Davis).

Stephenson has shown me a discharge as a patient from the London Hospital. The name Stephenson is obliterated and that of Davies is marked in red ink.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

However, do you think you might be a little quick on the draw in calling everything a 'hoax' without acknowledging the other possibilities:

a) D'Onston misremembered
                b) He wrote it for dramatic flair
                c) He was being cryptic
                d) Dr. Evans was no longer contagious when D'Onston moved in with him.

A.---D'onston either was in the Davis Ward with a contagion or he was not. If he was not, he was in the Currie Ward,where we know he definitely could not enter and leave on his own volition.

B.---Whether or not he wrote it for dramatic flair is irrelevant,anymore. He was either in one ward or the other. Its the location that is important. We did not know, as a community, who the Davis Ward housed at the time up until now.

C.--- Again, being cryptic or not is irrelevant.

D.--- See B & C above.

Speaking for myself and Mike, I would not be surprised one iota if Ivor or anyone who might still attempt with 11th Hour heroics in an effort to keep this non-suspect afloat to now state that Stephenson didn't stay in the Davis Ward and that he did stay in the Currie Ward.......completely in violation of the Currie Ward policies.

Comment

Could we please see a scan of the document being discussed? Stephen and Howard both have good points here, but seeing the document might lay this puppy to bed if it's clear that the 'Davis' for certain meant ward and not Dr. Davies, who is also mentioned in the excerpt. If the (Davis) was intended to read (Davies) then the entire excerpt makes perfect sense in that context. As it stands now, I'd personally have to agree with Howard that 'Davis' is intended to identify the private ward.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Why would they put the contagious typhoid patients in the Davis ward which has less security than the currie ward? It would seem to me that it is much more likely that Donston misremembered the disease that the man that he was speaking to had, or that the man who had it was no longer contagious.

Because if you are saying that Donston wouldn't have been the Davis ward with a typhoid patient, the question is not why would Donston be in Davis, but why would a typhoid patient be in Davis seeing as it was a less secure ward.

And it's not a hoax. A hoax implies deliberate falsehoods. As Tom has already pointed out, there are several possible explanations that do not require a hoax being perpetuated, the most likely being the typhoid Dr. Evans was no longer contagious and they'd moved him out of the restricted wards into the less restricted wards.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Tom:

The December 26th letter was sent to me by SPE. I am not sure if he wants me to place it here. but the word Davis is in parentheses as a designation of the Ward, not Dr. Davies who he discusses later on.

Ally:

A. Why would they put the contagious typhoid patients in the Davis ward which has less security than the currie ward? It would seem to me that it is much more likely that Donston misremembered the disease that the man that he was speaking to had, or that the man who had it was no longer contagious.

B. Because if you are saying that Donston wouldn't have been the Davis ward with a typhoid patient, the question is not why would Donston be in Davis, but why would a typhoid patient be in Davis seeing as it was a less secure ward.

C. And it's not a hoax. A hoax implies deliberate falsehoods. As Tom has already pointed out, there are several possible explanations that do not require a hoax being perpetuated, the most likely being the typhoid Dr. Evans was no longer contagious and they'd moved him out of the restricted wards into the less restricted wards.

A.---What are you referring to here about security for? The issue is whether Stephenson was in the Davis Ward, which he could only be if he was ill with a contagious disease !!!

Regardless of what it "seems" to be to you, the fact is that Stephenson claimed he was in the Davis Ward.....and so did Harris and so does Edwards. If he was, as i have pointed out, then he HAD A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE...and we both know that Harris claimed he faked his illness...which is baseless anyway...

B.--- You've lost me on this one...its unintelligble. "Why would a typhoid patient be in the davis Ward seeing as it was a less secure ward?" Again, what does the security of this ward have to do with anything?

C.---I have pointed out to Tom the only logical answers to his questions. That this Dr. Evans was visited almost nightly by Dr. Davies apparently went unobserved.

And you may wish to consider it a saga with no falsehoods or deceptions or omissions of facts....or a 'selling" of a non suspect into the mainstream of the field. Thats your decision.

I prefer to call it a Hoax.

Comment

Howard,

I'm sure you're right. Considering that there were only two wards and one happened to be called 'Davis', we should accept that this is what was meant by the Dec. 26th letter.

However, since this little 'problem' has been noticed and brought up, I'd say the next step is to take a closer look at the letter itself. We should take these sentences in context with how they were presented and what the overall message was intended to convey and to whom its audience was. Anyone else interested?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I also find it curious that the Currie ward (non-contagious) was locked down like a prison while the contagious Davis ward was do-as-you please. Seems it should be the other way around to me.

Comment

Howard,

I'm sure you're right. Considering that there were only two wards and one happened to be called 'Davis', we should accept that this is what was meant by the Dec. 26th letter.

Tommy:

The entire letter is in the Ultimate on page 669.

However, since this little 'problem' has been noticed and brought up, I'd say the next step is to take a closer look at the letter itself. We should take these sentences in context with how they were presented and what the overall message was intended to convey and to whom its audience was. Anyone else interested?

By all means. The overall message is that Stephenson attempts to implicate Dr. Morgan Davies for the WM. The audience was the police/Scotland Yard.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I also find it curious that the Currie ward (non-contagious) was locked down like a prison while the contagious Davis ward was do-as-you please. Seems it should be the other way around to me.

The practice of locking down the Currie Ward as Mike Covell learned from Jonathan Evans of the LH was to prevent people from going up that ward and pilfering or prostitution at night. The Davis Ward inhabitants most likely were to sick to rock and roll and in no need of a lockdown, just an attendant to prevent individuals from traipsing into the wrong ( infected ) ward.

Comment

My God, the idea of soliciting sex to sick men in a hospital. Bhua!

And yes I know the letter is in 'Ultimate'. I've read it a million times, which is why I'm embarrased I never caught on to the typhoid lie. Admittedly, it's probably because I wasn't reading it from the same perspective you currently are, which you can take as a kudos. I just meant as a community project we should consider the letter as a whole from different perspectives. For instance, what do you feel D'Onston was hoping to gain by slipping in this 'typhoid' lie? Are similar motives extant throughout the rest of the document?

One very curious aspect of it to me is how he keeps describing medicos as sexually depraved with sunken features, etc., and then finishes by identifying himself as a doctor! By contrast, when writing to Charles Warren, he identifies himself as a military man, no doubt because of Warren's service and reputation. D'Onston seems to have always taken his correspondent into consideration or audience into consideration when writing, and the Dec. 26th letter is a strange, curious, and intriguing document indeed.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

My God, the idea of soliciting sex to sick men in a hospital. Bhua!

I know you're kidding, but the folks in the Currie Ward weren't on their deathbeds...and robbery was probably ( just an opinion here...) the more important reason for the decision to lock that joint down. I'm also of the opinion that destitution may have played a role in some men entering the Currie Ward as well.

And yes I know the letter is in 'Ultimate'. I've read it a million times, which is why I'm embarrased I never caught on to the typhoid lie. Admittedly, it's probably because I wasn't reading it from the same perspective you currently are, which you can take as a kudos. I just meant as a community project we should consider the letter as a whole from different perspectives. For instance, what do you feel D'Onston was hoping to gain by slipping in this 'typhoid' lie? Are similar motives extant throughout the rest of the document?

I appreciate the kudos on behalf of myself and Mike. Thank you.

As to his motivation to lie about being ( not necessarily having, as individuals with other contagious diseases might have been in partially or totally quarantined rooms within that Ward, as thats what it was for ) in the Ward with a man with typhoid....your guess is as good as mine. I think,Tom, that he was imbalanced at the time, possibly due to the withdrawal from alcohol and chloral. Its always been an idea of mine that the hospital did a little "p.c." ing with what he really had ( As I am of the opinion he had the same affliction as he would have nearly 11 months later...that of chloral addiction...that he did when he entered the LH the first time around.).

One very curious aspect of it to me is how he keeps describing medicos as sexually depraved with sunken features, etc., and then finishes by identifying himself as a doctor! By contrast, when writing to Charles Warren, he identifies himself as a military man, no doubt because of Warren's service and reputation. D'Onston seems to have always taken his correspondent into consideration or audience into consideration when writing, and the Dec. 26th letter is a strange, curious, and intriguing document indeed.

Well...he actually described only Davies, no more or no less, as being as you mentioned. Yes, he does seem to try to attempt to ingratiate himself with whomever he is conversing with. He does the same with those who are of a religious bent as you well know as well as with Warren.

I'm going to skip on over to the Forums and wait until some of the folks over there respond to the initial post,which I replicated here for the homes here at Casebook.

Good points Tom...and I appreciate the questions a whole lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X