First post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post?

Just out of curiosity who made the first post on the Casebook Forum? Where would I find it?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

I have no idea who made the first post but my guess would be Spry.
    Casebook suffered a fatal server crash many years ago that erased all of the message boards except those that were quickly saved and reposted as "recovered threads", so there's no way to locate on the current message boards the first post ever.

Here is an example of a thread that was copied and reposted after the crash.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      I have no idea who made the first post but my guess would be Spry.
      Casebook suffered a fatal server crash many years ago that erased all of the message boards except those that were quickly saved and reposted as "recovered threads", so there's no way to locate on the current message boards the first post ever.

Here is an example of a thread that was copied and reposted after the crash.

JM
      Thanks for that.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Here's the earliest snapshot I could find of the original forum from 1999
        Some threads may be accessible but most probably won't.

Comment

On the snapshot from 2000 a year later I tried three threads and two out of three were readable https://web.archive.org/web/20010516...sebook.org:80/

Comment

probably one of the admins?
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

This was the first Casebook Home Page, from '96 to '98, when I first came on board.

Spry has made archived disks over the years, they used to be for sale but I have not seen any advertised for years.
              If you can track the first archived disk down (contact Admin), you might find what you are looking for.
              Casebook was created to debate the Maybrick Diary, so likely the first posts may refer to Maybrick.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks for that guys. I was just curious to see what was going on and who was around in the early days. Unfortunately none of the links above would load. As I've said before I'm useless with technology but is it something to do with the fact that I have an IPad ?
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Herlock.
                  I've no idea if admin recovered a lot of old threads but they are easily accessible to anyone by the Web archive search.
                  The whole section on Maybrick from 12 years ago seems readable for the most part

It shouldn't matter if you use an iPad, I used an iPad myself to find it.
                  Maybe it's your browser, I use chrome for iPad.
                  That link should take you straight to the Maybrick subtopics.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    Just out of curiosity who made the first post on the Casebook Forum? Where would I find it?
                    I can't remember his name, but his signature was "Catch me when you can, Mishter Lusk". Right weirdo, he was.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

That was so much fun looking at the older threads. I saw this gem from Dan Norder which some of us should pay closer attention to:

"The point here is that science is not a magic wand for uncovering fraud. If someone wants to see certain results they very often will, consciously or unconsciously. The main feature of science that is so important is that new discoveries are repeatedly tested by others. It's this verifying of other people's results by multiple teams that makes science strong. In cases where that doesn't happen, science hasn't really weighed in to its full extent yet."

Comment

For some reason the links are now working! Weird.
                        It's good to see how the Casebook has changed. A lot of unfamiliar usernames (to me at least) and a couple that I recognise (Sam). One last question: what year did it begin?
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I used to print out some of the old threads that contained interesting material.

The earliest I have is 1997 and the big topic was the diary.

I have the old discs you could buy back then, but they don't work on my current Mac O/S.
                          dustymiller
                          aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            For some reason the links are now working! Weird.
                            The data might be stored on really slow 3rd or 4th tier archive media. If so, they'll take a while to load.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I suspect the 1997 stuff is no longer online, but you can get back to 2004 or so using this :

Comment

Working...
                              X