No announcement yet.

Bowyer´s inquest testimony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The door open inward, hinged on the right hand side. as you look from inside the room. The light is the door open a crack.

The latch was accessible through the broken pane, so it was on the left hand side of the door, but one witness account stated that Mary used a string to access it.
    Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      I noticed Simon Woods Statement that Photoshop appeared to show the strip was in front of the background,
      Not having Photoshop I used GIMP which is much the same and got a similar result
      This is interesting as it fits my theory that the strip of light is in fact the edge of the half-open door, which is pointing toward the large window.
      Funny how so many people can look at the same photo and yet have different interpretations.

I don't know what to make of the 'doorknob'? If it is the door handle, the light patch shining on it appears to be on the top left side. Having shiny brass doorknobs in my house, I have tried to replicate this effect, but cannot unless the viewpoint is substantially higher than it, or the light source is moved. So I think it's probably just a trick of the light.

Comment

Michael

The plans I have seen on this site have suggested that the door was hinged on the left hand side as you look at the door from inside 13. This is obviously different from what you are saying, can you supply a link for the hinge being on the right hand side please?

However in that scenario I still do not see how the strip of light would only show in the top portion of the photo.
        In addition if the light is from a slight opening of the door, then the explanation that the strip stops an inch or so above the table because the hinge obstructs it no longer applies.

regards

Comment

Joshua,

we do not know where the light source for this photo is located, nor indeed what source was used.
          Tricks of the light could explain many of the strange things different people see in the photo, however as far as i am aware, a highlight must be produced by a reflection off of something.

The same point I have made several times with regards to the light stopping, still applies.

What do you think about Michaels view that the door opened the other way?

it really is interesting how we all see it different.

I am still not sure what i think is the strongest argument on this issue. Indeed it is still possible that the photo is a fake. who knows?

regards

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            Wickerman,

Sorry to disagree with you,
            Disagreement is good, it helps to exercise the brains cells.

If it is not a door knob, what could it be?
            Various reports indicate there was a washstand behind the headboard, so just to the left of the door in that picture.

Obviously, I can't find a suitable washstand, but look at the wooden knobs on the four top corners of this Victorian washstand.
            Something similar to this is a possibility.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

This is the room done slightly more to scale for visual understanding. I based the sliding scale on the possibility that the brick next to the door was between 6 an 12". I used 9". I also think you might be able to see the chair in front of the window (dunno).

This is the angle I think the photog used for MJK3. As you can see, it would point in the direction of the door an dbroken pane window, and caught them in the image.
              Attached Files
              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Maybe they pushed a chair out of their way behind the table.
                The knob is about the right height for the back corner of a Victorian chair.

It could always be just a trick of light, these old black and white plates are full of shadows that some have thought were weapons, written letters, medical instruments... I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in that dark image being a knob belonging to anything.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It can´t be a curtain

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  I have no idea what that strip of light means, but I would like to make the following point :

If what we are looking at in the background is curtain, then where is the pilot coat? I know that Harvey's laundry was dear to her heart and she more than once rattled off a list of it, but surely she didn't manage to get the police to give her the beloved pilot coat while they were actually still working in the room? So why would the police take down the pilot coat? Indeed, where would they put it?
                  If it was a curtain, the wall would cut right through the table. There is a corner between the window and the other side of the wall.

So it must be a door on one side and a wall on the other.

And by the way, look at the small white spot on the doorknob. Someone thought this was light, but the photograph has many such small spots.

So it might not be a doorknob.

The question is if the wall to the right is to wide to be a wall. Look at the photo from the outside. And another question is if we think James Tully´s drawing is accurate.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Hi Wickerman,

I agree with you about the knob. It might not be a doorknob. It has a white spot on it, which probably isn´t light since the photo has many such spots on it.

If we follow James Tully, it is on the side nearest the windowside of the room. And the door is then placed in the position I showed you from the start.

Like this.

Regards Pierre
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                      This is the room done slightly more to scale for visual understanding. I based the sliding scale on the possibility that the brick next to the door was between 6 an 12". I used 9". I also think you might be able to see the chair in front of the window (dunno).

This is the angle I think the photog used for MJK3. As you can see, it would point in the direction of the door an dbroken pane window, and caught them in the image.
                      Hi Robert,

It can´t be that angle since there isn´t any window beside the door on the same wall. There is a corner between the window and the wall.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                        The door open inward, hinged on the right hand side. as you look from inside the room. The light is the door open a crack.

The latch was accessible through the broken pane, so it was on the left hand side of the door, but one witness account stated that Mary used a string to access it.
                        Thanks Michael. But what makes you think it wasn´t hinged on the left hand side looking from inside the room?

Regards Pierre
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pierre; 12-08-2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Look at the area around this white spot on the "door knob". Full of similar white spots on the photograph.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Bedknob, not doorknob?

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post

Hello Robert, and all,

I think we're missing the obvious. The photo called MJK1, here showing the door in the partition wall in color, DOES NOT show a door knob at all. This supports the contention that it is a non-functioning entrance or exit.

HOWEVER, MJK1 does also show the head of Mary's rickety bed, and we can see it has posts with decorative knobs on them.

So-- perhaps what has been identified as a "doorknob" is actually one of the bed knobs?
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                              Hello Robert, and all,

I think we're missing the obvious. The photo called MJK1, here showing the door in the partition wall in color, DOES NOT show a door knob at all. This supports the contention that it is a non-functioning entrance or exit.

HOWEVER, MJK1 does also show the head of Mary's rickety bed, and we can see it has posts with decorative knobs on them.

So-- perhaps what has been identified as a "doorknob" is actually one of the bed knobs?
                              Hi,

No, it´s the door leading to the court we´re talking about. Some think it has a door knob.

Regards Pierre

Comment

on the various ideas put forward to say that the Knob is not a knob

The OP keeps saying it means the wall cuts the table, this is nonsense the wall or door or curtain, what ever it is does not cut anything it is behind the the Table. It is because he insists the door is barricaded he says this, most of the rest commenting here do not accept that and so believe we are looking at other things. To him the light strip can only be crack by the hinges and nothing else!
                                Until the OP is prepared to accept that he may , and I only say, may be wrong we will advance no further.

Wickerman, nice suggestion for a wash stand, however i do not think it is, we disagree, as you say that is ok.

Pcdunn, now that is an interesting idea, it has been suggested before, can't remember where, that the head board may have been removed.
                                it therefore could have been put against the wall/door if this is true. Agreed the decorative heads are near to the knob shape, but not a convincing match for me. I. would say a possible
                                Last edited by Elamarna; 12-08-2015, 08:08 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X