• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Charges To Be Filed Against Man Who Killed Three Teen Home Invaders

c.d.

Yeah well......
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I'm appalled that there was ever any consideration of so doing.
      - Ginger

Comment

The "Make my Day" laws do protect homeowners who use force to defend their property, but sometimes things go awry. I remember once in Colorado a Japanese foreign-exchange student was killed when he accidentally approached the wrong house for a party. The homeowner said he shouted "Freeze!" but the young man kept coming, so he fired. It was supposed that the foreigner didn't understand the expression or heard it as "Please!"

In the Oklahoma case, I think the homeowner was within his rights according to local laws. This is not to say I necessarily approve of his action in killing all three teens, but I'm told you can't shoot to disable like in the movies, so...

Not sure I understand the logic in charging the female accessory with the deaths. I know it is local law, and she must get some punishment, but I don't see how first-degree murder is right.

Welcome to the Wild West!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          The "Make my Day" laws do protect homeowners who use force to defend their property, but sometimes things go awry. I remember once in Colorado a Japanese foreign-exchange student was killed when he accidentally approached the wrong house for a party. The homeowner said he shouted "Freeze!" but the young man kept coming, so he fired. It was supposed that the foreigner didn't understand the expression or heard it as "Please!"

In the Oklahoma case, I think the homeowner was within his rights according to local laws. This is not to say I necessarily approve of his action in killing all three teens, but I'm told you can't shoot to disable like in the movies, so...

Not sure I understand the logic in charging the female accessory with the deaths. I know it is local law, and she must get some punishment, but I don't see how first-degree murder is right.

Welcome to the Wild West!
          Thelaw is that if someone is killed in the commission of a crime, it is murder. Basically designed so that if the "teens" had killed the homeowner she could be charged but it doesn't limit it to the prospective victim but also the assailant.

To me another example of a law that had a certain intent, but through poor drafting catches others not originally intended.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

My objection to the defend your propert laws are that it leads to things like Pistorius in South Africa.
            G U T

Comment

So, if you want someone killed, just invite them to your house, shoot him/her and claim it was intrusion? Is this then not a law that is open to abuse (and therefore a bad law)?

Comment

You mean invite them to your house, be sure to wear masks, hoodies and gloves, oh, and don't forget to bring brass knuckles and a knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                  So, if you want someone killed, just invite them to your house, shoot him/her and claim it was intrusion? Is this then not a law that is open to abuse (and therefore a bad law)?
                  Actually it always leaves some kind of aura of suspicion. Think of the background story to "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles": the "accidental" shooting murder (?) of Billy Woodward by his wife out in his own home when she felt it was an intruder in 1957, or the similar death of the Professor Cobb, the father of baseball great Ty Cobb, shot by his mother (officially - Ty always suspected her lover shot his father and she covered it up for him, and never forgave her). It's always a tricky kind of problem about shooting to defend oneself.

By the way, back in the 1970s (when studying American tort law) I learned that due to changes regarding public opinion about the sanctity of human life (sorry if that sounds forced here, but it was the best way to put it), the use of gun traps and similar safety devices against burglars on one's land, is also forbidden.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    You mean invite them to your house, be sure to wear masks, hoodies and gloves, oh, and don't forget to bring brass knuckles and a knife.
                    Yeh, and don't forget to tell them to come in through the back door, and if it's locked just jimmy your way about in, about 2 o'clock in the morning.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      Actually it always leaves some kind of aura of suspicion. Think of the background story to "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles": the "accidental" shooting murder (?) of Billy Woodward by his wife out in his own home when she felt it was an intruder in 1957, or the similar death of the Professor Cobb, the father of baseball great Ty Cobb, shot by his mother (officially - Ty always suspected her lover shot his father and she covered it up for him, and never forgave her). It's always a tricky kind of problem about shooting to defend oneself.

By the way, back in the 1970s (when studying American tort law) I learned that due to changes regarding public opinion about the sanctity of human life (sorry if that sounds forced here, but it was the best way to put it), the use of gun traps and similar safety devices against burglars on one's land, is also forbidden.

Jeff

Jeff

I used to think you were a nice bloke.

BUT

You just used the "T" word, now I'll have nightmares.
                      G U T

Comment

I think the homeowner was well within his rights to do what he did. He had no way of knowing what their intention was. I have no sympathy at all for the teens.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                          I think the homeowner was well within his rights to do what he did. He had no way of knowing what their intention was. I have no sympathy at all for the teens.

c.d.
                          I agree . It's a jungle out there.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Jeff

I used to think you were a nice bloke.

BUT

You just used the "T" word, now I'll have nightmares.
                            Hi GUT,

I thought I was a nice guy too. However, since I disappointed you I am standing in a corner facing the wall.

Sorry I used the "T" word. What word would you have used?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                              Hi GUT,

I thought I was a nice guy too. However, since I disappointed you I am standing in a corner facing the wall.

Sorry I used the "T" word. What word would you have used?

Jeff
                              Can't use it here Jeff, I'd be banned, hated that subject.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X