Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - by Emma Carew 30 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - by Herlock Sholmes 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Herlock Sholmes 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Yabs 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (40 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (13 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (10 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (9 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Elizabeth Stride

Old 04-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Chief Inspector

How really really odd, Joshua, especially remembering that John Stride was a ship's carpenter at one point, and the son of a shipwright. As well, he owned a coffee house in Poplar in the 1870's.

Was he on board the Magaera, I wonder, when it was wrecked and left the sea for good on account of it at his wife's behest? Perhaps he was leading a double life or shacked up with Elizabeth Watts (Mary's sister) after his marriage to Stride broke up?

It's odd too that three out of the C5 had, or may have had, ginger to auburn hair. Jack's favourite colour?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Chief Inspector

Well it seems I'm not the first to wonder about the Magaera, see this old thread from Simon Wood;

http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-2082.html

He mentions an interview with Elizabeth Stokes in the Morning Advertiser 10th Oct, which expands upon her inquest testimony and confirms that the story of the shipwrecked husband comes from her. However, she says her husband died on the island, but records say all crew survived. So perhaps it was another shipwreck, or another island. She does end the interview by saying "Owing to my troubles my memory is somewhat impaired."
She definitely states that she hadn't seen her sister Mary Malcolm for several years, so who was Mary seeing every Saturday, and giving a shilling to?
We know that Malcolm and Stride looked similar, and Stride must have looked enough like Stokes to be confused with her at the mortuary. Is it at all possible that Mrs Malcolm had bumped into Stride at some point, mistaking her for her own sister (who she hadn't seen for years)? And Stride played along, to cadge a shilling from her every week?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Chief Inspector

Stranger things have happened, Josh, and I can imagine Stride doing something like that, although she would be in trouble if Mary asked her a question or two about their childhood. On the other hand this woman's memory is self-confessedly impaired, so who knows.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:40 AM
Chief Inspector

I've always thought that no record of Stride losing her husband in the Princess Alice disaster was ever found, but this report seems to say that confirmation was indeed dscovered;

Echo 8th October 1888;

"With reference to the identity of Elizabeth Stride, the Woolwich newspapers of the time of the Princess Alice disaster have been referred to and it has been found that a woman of that name was a witness at the inquest, and identified the body of a man as her husband, and of two children then lying in Woolwich Dockyard. She said she was on board at the time, and saw them drowned her husband picking up one of the children and being drowned with it in his arms. She was saved by climbing the funnel, where she was accidentally kicked in the mouth by a retired Arsenal police inspector, who was also clinging to the top of the funnel. The husband and two children are buried in Woolwich Cemetery."
Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Commisioner

When one has spent so much time out here as I have, one recognizes the questions. This has been up before, and George Bagster Phillips said that there was nothing wrong with the roof of Strides mouth.
If my memory serves me, that is. IŽll try and locate it. (the quotation, not the memory)

Found it! Times, October 6:

Dr. Phillips was re-called and said:- After the last examination, in company with Dr. Blackwell and Dr. Brown, I went to the mortuary and examined more carefully the roof of the mouth. I could not find any injury to or absence of anything from the mouth.

Last edited by Fisherman : 09-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Chief Inspector

Thanks Fish! No need to have bothered though, I posted it myself in the original post. That's what got me wondering about the truth of her tale. But this Echo report seems to say it had confirmed her story, which I can't remember reading elsewhere.
Is it possible to check the records of Woolwich Cemetary for Strides?'
Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Thanks Fish! No need to have bothered though, I posted it myself in the original post. That's what got me wondering about the truth of her tale. But this Echo report seems to say it had confirmed her story, which I can't remember reading elsewhere.
Is it possible to check the records of Woolwich Cemetary for Strides?'
Ha - I missed that spectacularly...!

IŽve no idea about the possibilities to check via Woolwich cemetery, sorry to say.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Detective

From the mortuary photograph and the description of the missing roof of the mouth it sounds possible Liz had a cleft palate/hair lip.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:27 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
I've always thought that no record of Stride losing her husband in the Princess Alice disaster was ever found, but this report seems to say that confirmation was indeed dscovered;

Echo 8th October 1888;

"With reference to the identity of Elizabeth Stride, the Woolwich newspapers of the time of the Princess Alice disaster have been referred to and it has been found that a woman of that name was a witness at the inquest, and identified the body of a man as her husband, and of two children then lying in Woolwich Dockyard. She said she was on board at the time, and saw them drowned her husband picking up one of the children and being drowned with it in his arms. She was saved by climbing the funnel, where she was accidentally kicked in the mouth by a retired Arsenal police inspector, who was also clinging to the top of the funnel. The husband and two children are buried in Woolwich Cemetery."
Does the inquest documentation still exist?

I wonder if this is a paper beefing up a story, or if perhaps they had some access to records extant at the time.

Very interesting as I thought this wasn't a case of their simply being no evidence to back up her story, but indeed strong evidence that her husband was alive and well for years after the Prince Alice disaster.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Chief Inspector

Hi Charles,
It appears that a lot of documentation about the disaster exists in the London Metropolitan Archives, but not online.

http://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/COR_PA.PDF