No announcement yet.

The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Level 2: Cases where there is no standing conviction but where there is a somewhat better than even chance that one perpetrator did it."

So, Stan, does this fit DeSalvo, in your estimation? There was no conviction, he was incarcerated on charges not connected with the "Strangler" crimes, the only evidence was his confession, and there is suspicion that a different perp committed the Strangler murders. It's the last one, the different perp, that has me asking.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Cel,

Some might put DeSalvo in Level 2 or even 1(B) but I think I'd move him to the side and put the Boston Strangler Case in Level 3 with him as one of the possible suspects.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hey Stan,

Yes, I thought that might be your response. Funny you mention 1B, I was thinking a sort of 2A or 1B. At any rate, off to the side, as you mentioned. Thanks, guy.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Yes, the (A) is understood for Level 2 and, for that matter, for all levels with the exception of 1.

The Strangler has moved up in number over the years with most people I think but almost certainly has peaked.

Stan Reid

Comment

The Ried Scale

what about cases where there is a very dodgy conviction but no other real suspect. and cases where there is a very dodgy conviction and very strong case agianst a diffrent suspect

whaat scale would you put them in

Comment

Both would be Level 1 Type A. Mixed convictions like O.J. would 1(B) because the criminal proceedings take precedent.

Stan Reid

Comment

Another type of example for 1(B) is the like of Richard Evonitz who killed himself to avoid capture but who would have almost certainly been convicted had he not done so.

Stan Reid

Comment

What about cases where there is a standing conviction about which there is no doubt but there are elements of the case which remain unsolved (and I don't mean ephemeral things like motive) - example would be the (British) Moors murderers Myra Hindley and Ian Brady - convicted, no doubt - but where is the body of one of their victims, Keith Bennett (unsolved)?

A diary supporter could probably invent a new category for Florence Maybrick too :-)

Comment

Hi tnb,

I'd put Brady/Hindley in Level 0 because it is about the case as a whole. The same would be true where a serial killer was only tried and convicted of one murder (which is often done to give the prosecution another chance should the defendant get off on some quirk) although he killed others. If there was any real doubt that they killed Keith Bennett then I'd treat it as a separate case at a somewhat higher level.

Stan Reid

Comment

I should have said multiple murderers there since that legal practice is used for all of that group, not just serial killers.

Stan Reid

Comment

As far as the Lindbergh kidnapping goes I saw a documentary recently (I'm going off my memory here so forgive me) where they compared the board from the ladder used in the kidnapping and the boarding from a barn I think was on the kidnapper's property. Using modern science they were able to show the grains being exactly the same on the two pieces of wood. Which is as good as a fingerprint since no two grains are alike.

Comment

O.J. should be level zero. Its beyond me that its level one. (Thank you Johnnie Cochran)

Comment

No, thanks should go to a singularly inept team of prosecutors.

Comment

Yeah you're right Maurice, that guy was just beyond scum

Comment

I agree that OJ should have been criminally convicted but he wasn't even if that result was a racist payback.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X