No announcement yet.

Druitt - the final days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Simon - if you have a copy of Stawell Heard's rare monograph, then your war chest is truly mighty.

Cheers, RP

Comment

I’m curious about this rare monograph. What’s it about?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Herlock, but Simon is probably only referring to Heard's dissertation on Valentine's school which is in the dissertation section. It is well worth a read.

Like Heard, D. J. Leighton suggests the £16 was severance pay, but I don't buy it. Valentine sacks an assistant for “serious trouble,” and then turns around and hands him an additional £16? That’'s not the Victorians I know. Nor does it explain Simon'’s apt question as to why we are seeing two cheques from the same source.

If, as most Ripper historians argue, Druitt was paid at the end of the term, and 30th November was the final day (which I doubt) then the cheque itself would not be evidence of dismissal. Druitt would have received it either way at term’'s end.

Last edited by rjpalmer; 05-28-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Whoever wrote those two cheques may have thought their ship had come in, for Druitt had died without depositing either one.

Here's one of those strange but true facts.

The Times, 4th November 1884—

THE INNS OF COURT

In connexion with the general examination of students of the Inns of Court held at Lincoln's-inn Hall, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd of October, the Council of Legal Education have awarded to the following students certificates that they have satisfactorily passed a public examination . . .

Archibald Henry Bodkin, Inner Temple [Francis Tumblety's defense counsel].

Montague John Druitt, Inner Temple [alleged Ripper suspect].
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Whoever wrote those two cheques may have thought their ship had come in, for Druitt had died without depositing either one.

THE INNS OF COURT

In connexion with the general examination of students of the Inns of Court held at Lincoln's-inn Hall, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd of October, the Council of Legal Education have awarded to the following students certificates that they have satisfactorily passed a public examination . . .

Why?

they’d form part of his estate and I doubt William would miss them in the administration thereof
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

THE INNS OF COURT

‘’Alleged’’ Simon?
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Cheers Roger,

I certainly don’t have that one but I’ve just emailed a friend who is pretty sure that he does have it so I might get to read it. I’ll certainly read the dissertation tomorrow.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Herlock,

Yes, "alleged."

Macnaghten had nothing on Druitt that would stand up in court, and neither do we from any source independent of Macnaghten.

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                  X