Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
    Alot is vile and despicable.
    How do you feel about alright ? Borderline in my eyes.
    Sometimes even I rebel against my inner English Major. Mea culpa. (Oops- sorry, that's Latin.)

In casual usage I admit that I use "alright".

I like that concept as a single word.

That's how John Lennon wrote it in songs like 'Revolution'.

It's gonna be alright.

-Alright?

What REALLY irks me is the misuse of apostrophes... I just saw a sign that said "Puppy's For Sale." Aarggh!!!!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Many every day loosers might think that its not alright that this thread is drifting so far from it's topic.

Comment

To get a bit more technical, I am really bothered by the increasing usage of double conditionals, as in "If I would have known." Not only does "If I had known" suffice, but does a double conditional, as with a double negative, negate the condition?

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          Many every day loosers might think that its not alright that this thread is drifting so far from it's topic.
          Indeed.

The book left me wanting to hear Steve Powell's music. That's my positive comment for the day.
          Managing Editor
          Casebook Wiki

Comment

Indeed.

The book left me wanting to hear Steve Powell's music. That's my positive comment for the day.
            Nice to hear something positive here ...

Steve is first and foremost a musician, talented with many instruments,
            but guitar is his forte.
            His singing voice is wonderful and very versatile.
            His first solo album was way ahead of it's time, very unique and timeless.
            Would be just as great today as back in '75.
            All of his songs .. that I have heard, are great, and I'm not saying that just
            because I am a friend, it is true.
            "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
            of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria View Post
              His first solo album was way ahead of it's time, very unique...
              Were you making fun of Steve there, Victoria?

Or did you think the apostrophe and the 'very' belonged in that sentence?

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Wow, interesting thread. Surely the most common has to be 'your' instead of 'you're'. I get texts and e-mails like that all the time: 'Your hot', 'Your sexy', 'Your the best writer Ripper writer the world has ever known,' etc. Very tiresome.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Six Degrees of Separation

Interesting musical connection, for what it's worth.

Chris Gilbey OAM (born 13 May 1946 in Islington, UK) is an Australian entrepreneur and music industry identity. He has helped shape the careers of artists such as INXS, Tommy Emmanuel, Keith Urban, The Church, The Saints, AC/DC and Stevie Wright. He has also authored two books, and founded, co-founded and/or held leadership positions with several commercial, charitable and non-government organisations.

Chris Gilbey was born at Whittington Hospital in North London.

He attended Tollington Boys High School.

Chris was a member of Kate, a pop group signed to CBS Records in the UK. He co-wrote several singles by the band including their first single, "Strange Girl".

Gilbey migrated to Australia in November 1972.

Gilbey joined the Australian music label Albert Productions in 1973, where he began as A&R manager and held various marketing and management positions. At Alberts, Gilbey was deeply involved in the promotion of AC/DC[1], including the band's controversial radio advertisements and album covers. Gilbey's production credits with Alberts include Grahame Lowndes' "Survival's A Song", SJC Powell's "Celestial Madness" and Bartholomew John's "Someone". Gilbey also produced the single "Show and Tell" by Bobbi Marchini.

After leaving Alberts, Gilbey managed the seminal Australian punk band The Saints.[2]
                  Managing Editor
                  Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    I get texts and e-mails like that all the time: 'Your hot', 'Your sexy', 'Your the best writer Ripper writer the world has ever known,' etc. Very tiresome.
                    I can imagine that would be very tiresome, Tom, and none too flattering either. I'm glad my bulging postbag contains only adoring fan mail from the literate.

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                      Were you making fun of Steve there, Victoria?

Or did you think the apostrophe and the 'very' belonged in that sentence?

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Why thank you Caz .. for correcting me here,

I must take more care to check my posts before submitting ...
                      I was in a rush, which of course is no excuse for bad grammar.

The it's error is one that I particularly dislike .. but
                      generally, I think people here are a little too pedantic over the
                      unimportant issues of perfect grammar rules.
                      I find it interesting to see the different styles of how people
                      express themselves.

"Do not take life too seriously.
                      You will never get out of it alive."
                      Elbert Hubbard

Comment

Interesting musical connection, for what it's worth.

Chris Gilbey OAM (born 13 May 1946 in Islington, UK) is an Australian entrepreneur and music industry identity. He has helped shape the careers of artists such as INXS, Tommy Emmanuel, Keith Urban, The Church, The Saints, AC/DC and Stevie Wright. He has also authored two books, and founded, co-founded and/or held leadership positions with several commercial, charitable and non-government organisations.

Chris Gilbey was born at Whittington Hospital in North London.

He attended Tollington Boys High School.

Chris was a member of Kate, a pop group signed to CBS Records in the UK. He co-wrote several singles by the band including their first single, "Strange Girl".

Gilbey migrated to Australia in November 1972.

Gilbey joined the Australian music label Albert Productions in 1973, where he began as A&R manager and held various marketing and management positions. At Alberts, Gilbey was deeply involved in the promotion of AC/DC[1], including the band's controversial radio advertisements and album covers. Gilbey's production credits with Alberts include Grahame Lowndes' "Survival's A Song", SJC Powell's "Celestial Madness" and Bartholomew John's "Someone". Gilbey also produced the single "Show and Tell" by Bobbi Marchini.

After leaving Alberts, Gilbey managed the seminal Australian punk band The Saints.[2]
                        Yes, Chris Gilbey produced 'Celestial Madness' and I believe is still a friend.

I saw somewhere a while ago on the internet a place selling rare or sought
                        after albums. A copy of Celestial Madness had just been sold for something like $US650!
                        If I need a few extra dollars sometime ..

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          I get texts and e-mails like that all the time: 'Your hot', 'Your sexy', 'Your the best writer Ripper writer the world has ever known,' etc. Very tiresome.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          OK I'll stop. Sorry if I got carried away.
                          Managing Editor
                          Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria View Post
                            I saw somewhere a while ago on the internet a place selling rare or sought
                            after albums. A copy of Celestial Madness had just been sold for something like $US650!
                            I can believe that, being an obsessive music collector myself. People pay stratospheric prices for obscure 60s psych vinyl. (Obscure is not intended to be derogatory.)
                            Managing Editor
                            Casebook Wiki

Comment

Hi Sir Robert,

I wonder who makes the money in cases like this. Presumably not the artist.

Hi Victoria,

You are right - the rules should not apply rigidly to the average message board poster. It's only when someone has dreams of writing professionally (or just being taken seriously in a medium that relies on the written word) that they are better off polishing up their act before it polishes them off.

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

Based on claims from those who had read the book that the book stole copyrighted information from Casebook and plagiarized posters in general and myself in particular, I requested a copy of the book from the Blurb website and informed that it had been alleged to contain copyrighted and plagiarized information.

They denied my request for a review copy and the link for the book no longer works as they have apparently taken down the book while it is being processed. I am sure it will eventually be for sale again, they have taken great pains to tell me, over and over and over and over that they are not responsible for copyright violations or plagiarism.

However, now of course I have no access to the book, I can't even purchase one to investigate the claims. I am sure it will eventually be for sale either from Blurb or another POD publisher.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Working...
                                X