No announcement yet.

The Missing Evidence - New Ripper Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know better than to suggest Tumblety as a credible suspect in 2014, let alone in 1994 or whenever - I do believe Tumblety was brought up some posts back by someone else.
    I merely mentioned him as dear old Robert seemed to be digging out suspects of that ilk.
    But let's not derail this thread.

Comment

• Let's Not

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      I know better than to suggest Tumblety as a credible suspect in 2014, let alone in 1994 or whenever - I do believe Tumblety was brought up some posts back by someone else.
      I merely mentioned him as dear old Robert seemed to be digging out suspects of that ilk.
      But let's not derail this thread.
      Yes, let's not. I wrote a suspect based book on Tumblety some twenty years ago since when I have written several other books on the subject which promote no suspect. I notice you never mention any of them.
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Tom
        You should know that I am a dreadful soft touch.
        Blink paid to use the Lechmere picture with a donation to the Stairway to Heaven Charity (for the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster Memorial) - which is why I am endeavouring to protect use of that image.
        If I had got a fee I would have also donated it but as I say I'm a soft touch.
        But then it's good marketing.
        Christer had a free trip to London but they worked him hard!

Comment

• Amusing

It's amusing to see, over the years, how precious people become when promoting a theory they hold. They hate any criticism and even seem to hate anyone who opposes their ideas. I was warned about this years ago. It's true that if you have the temerity to promote a suspect, especially one like Cross where nothing really supports the idea he is a suspect, you have to develop a thick skin and not get too upset by valid criticism.
          SPE

Comment

• Charitable

Tom
            You should know that I am a dreadful soft touch.
            Blink paid to use the Lechmere picture with a donation to the Stairway to Heaven Charity (for the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster Memorial) - which is why I am endeavouring to protect use of that image.
            If I had got a fee I would have also donated it but as I say I'm a soft touch.
            But then it's good marketing.
            Christer had a free trip to London but they worked him hard!
            You won't find me being critical about anything charitable that you have done.
            SPE

Comment

• Well I've probably got them all and even enjoyed reading them. Although my 'Ultimate' is falling apart. Any chance of a free copy?

Comment

• No...

I know better than to suggest Tumblety as a credible suspect in 2014, let alone in 1994 or whenever...
                No, we feel quite safe knowing that you will never suggest anyone except Cross as a 'credible suspect'.
                SPE

Comment

• Yes...

Well I've probably got them all and even enjoyed reading them. Although my 'Ultimate' is falling apart. Any chance of a free copy?
                  Yes, I'm happy to let you have a copy, signed if you wish (but I doubt that you'd want that). We ought to get together sometime. Thank you for the kind words.
                  SPE

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                    Yes, let's not. I wrote a suspect based book on Tumblety some twenty years ago since when I have written several other books on the subject which promote no suspect. I notice you never mention any of them.
                    The Lodger was groundbreaking. It revealed in the wake of the dreadful Diary that still more information was 'out there'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it opened the eyes of researchers to the wealth of original reporting in American papers. This has since led to countless new and important finds. The book presents not only information about Tumblety, but new info on the investigation and intriguing new suspects. I completely ripped off the 'bullet point' list idea at the end for my book. Do I think Tumblety was the Ripper? No, I don't. But in light of the impact this work has had on Ripper research that hardly rates as a quibble.

And unlike Cross, Tumblety was a bonafide liar and crook who managed to draw genuine suspicion during the Whitechapel murder investigation. I'm not sure why anyone would use him as an example of 'bad suspect' in opposition to Cross who is supposed to be a 'good suspect'. I believe Michael Ostrog would be a better choice, because he was in Paris the entire time. In comparison to a man who was in another country, I suppose Cross makes the better suspect.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Thank You

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      The Lodger was groundbreaking. It revealed in the wake of the dreadful Diary that still more information was 'out there'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it opened the eyes of researchers to the wealth of original reporting in American papers. This has since led to countless new and important finds. The book presents not only information about Tumblety, but new info on the investigation and intriguing new suspects. I completely ripped off the 'bullet point' list idea at the end for my book. Do I think Tumblety was the Ripper? No, I don't. But in light of the impact this work has had on Ripper research that hardly rates as a quibble.
                      And unlike Cross, Tumblety was a bonafide liar and crook who managed to draw genuine suspicion during the Whitechapel murder investigation. I'm not sure why anyone would use him as an example of 'bad suspect' in opposition to Cross who is supposed to be a 'good suspect'. I believe Michael Ostrog would be a better choice, because he was in Paris the entire time. In comparison to a man who was in another country, I suppose Cross makes the better suspect.
                      Yours truly,
                      Tom Wescott
                      Thank you Tom, yes, Tumblety was unknown in Ripperology until I bought Littlechild's letter in February 1993. And that led to all the until then untapped American newspaper reports on the good doctor.
                      SPE

Comment

• I should like to add...

I should like to add that I don't dislike either Christer or Ed, I haven't actually met either of them but I'm sure that we would have a lot in common. Ripperology is an emotive genre and I really do not enjoy these exchanges when they get nasty.
                        SPE

Comment

Thank you Tom, yes, Tumblety was unknown in Ripperology until I bought Littlechild's letter in February 1993. And that led to all the until then untapped American newspaper reports on the good doctor.
                          Good book. Your other works were shite though.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Well...

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            Good book. Your other works were shite though.
                            Yours truly,
                            Tom Wescott
                            Well you know what they say, you can't please all of the folks all of the time.
                            SPE

Comment

Well you know what they say, you can't please all of the folks all of the time.
                              LOL.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi,

Personally I like all of the books written on the case. I prefer the better written ones of course, but they all keep the little grey cells active. Also even in the worst of them there can be a grain of something that can change your direction.

An example is this. I have never believed that Druit was the murderer, but Autumn of Terror was the first book I read on the case, and even now I remember how thoroughly I enjoyed it.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X