• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bailey
    I frequently pray for one...
    I lol'd. xD
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn
    Me too! I didn't get to bed until 2AM this morning, because the neighbours had a party going on. A comparatively civilised one, to be fair (they're really nice people, besides), but enough twangs and thuds insinuated their way through my double-glazing to keep me awake.
    Yeah, even I get fed up when people have their music blaring through the night after a while. As for the not sleeping thing, I feel you, I didn't get to sleep till ten a.m. (but that's mostly due to an effed up body clock on my part ).

But back on topic, Andrew Firth, I've been meaning to comment on this for a while now, but your photography skills are mindblowing. All your shots are phenomenal and make me wanna go to Whitechapel someday!

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
      Are there any photos of the Great Synagogue on Duke Street ? I have not seen any (except for one interior shot... a painting I think). I find it hard to believe that no photos of this building exist...

Rob H
      The only one currently known is this one from the Jewish Encyclopaedia (1906):
      Click image for larger version

Name:	great_synagogue_from_duke_st.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	657580

The view is from Duke Street & shows the corner of Church Passage at front left.

The pic is also featured in Rob & Philip's book.

/jake

Comment

• Originally posted by Bailey View Post
        I frequently pray for one...

B.

Me too. Don't you just hate it when those cars drive past full of 17 year olds going BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, JATTER, JATTER, BOOM!

Comment

• Those into local topography etc might find the following interesting.

It is a crop from a 1851 illustration, drawn from a balloon moored in Hampsted - in other words, we're looking South.

X marks St Botolphs

Name:	ff_balloonmap_1851_crop.jpg
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	657581

/jake

Comment

• Now that is disorientating Jake,

Ooh look, I can see Finsbury Circus.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• And you can see the Monument too!

Which these days, after a very expensive overhaul and restoration, looks like this.....

There's still only one Monument; they haven't gone and built another...

Name:	monument 1.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	657583

Looking east from the top, an opportunity for an arty shot presents itself..

Name:	monument 2.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	657584

All the best
              Andrew

Comment

• Hi, Andrew.

I think if it were my photo I'd be inclined to name that last one 'Captive London'... I like that view through the wires.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• You can get in it again? I've wanted to go in there for years!

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• I love these shots, full of sexual tension I'd name them Boy meets girl.

No seriously I love these photographs

Pirate

Comment

• Yes, it's been open since about March. They've rebuilt the cage at the top using a fine wire mesh, which compared to the old thick barred steel cage is a vast improvement. From a distance, the mesh can hardly be seen, and so the Monument looks as it did back in the 17th Century. (i.e. just railings to waist height with nothing overhead to stop suicidal people jumping off!)

A couple more arty ones taken from the top....

Name:	monument 3.jpg
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	657585

Name:	monument 4.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	657586

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

• Beautiful, Andrew

Comment

• Here's a section of the map above with places noted. Commercial Road only goes as far as Backchurch Lane and Commercial Street as far as Christchurch, as they would have done in 1851.

Name:	BalloonMap.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	657587

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake L View Post
                            It is a crop from a 1851 illustration, drawn from a balloon moored in Hampsted - in other words, we're looking South.

[ATTACH]6514[/ATTACH]
                            ... looks like someone asked for directions from Maurice Escher
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• That's funny Sam, I thought of Escher too.

But at first glance, I thought it was actually Ancient Rome, as I thought I saw the Coliseum!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• The scale is rather out isn't it?

Looking again at the Monument, it's a well known fact that if the real column was laid down on it's side, the "flaming urn" at the top would rest in Pudding Lane where the fire of 1666 started. But on this map, the top of the Monument as shown would almost be touching the moat around the Tower of London!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X