Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post
    Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

The apron piece was described as being wet no mention of wet with, blood PC Longs signed official inquest testimony

IT HAD BEEN RAINING!
    Indeed Leanne, however, Long described the corner of the apron as 'wet with blood' not just wet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      Hi Jon,

Jack the Ripper was the conspiracy.

Regards,

Simon
      Hi Mr Wood

This is a new theory to me. Have you posts you can point to where I can read in more detail.

Comment

Why would she be wearing an apron at that time?
        ​​​
        Because she owned one, and (as you say elsewhere) she had to carry everything she owned with her.

I think six people at the inquest are recorded as saying that she was wearing an apron when they saw her, either on the day of her death or as she lay in Mitre Square. Don't let Trevor's speculation cloud the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          ​​​
          Because she owned one, and (as you say elsewhere) she had to carry everything she owned with her.

I think six people at the inquest are recorded as saying that she was wearing an apron when they saw her, either on the day of her death or as she lay in Mitre Square. Don't let Trevor's speculation cloud the issue.
          DAILY NEWS UNITED KINGDOM 12th OCTOBER 1888:
          'The adjourned inquest...…..was resumed yesterday...…..
          ……...…...............…...........
          POLICE CONSTABLE LEWIS ROBINSON.........……..................….........….
          ……………...….
          What was the last time you saw her? - About ten minutes to nine on Saturday evening in the police cell.

Do you recollect whether she was wearing ANOTHER. apron? - Yes, she was.

The apron was shown to the witness. It was much torn and was saturated with blood in several places.

Witness - To the best of my knowledge this is the apron she was wearing.
          ng

Comment

• DAILY NEWS UNITED KINGDOM 12th OCTOBER 1888:

Comment

• FROM THAT REPORT AFTER LONG RETURNED WITH HIS NOTEBOOK:
              It is common knowledge that two murders were committed that morning, which had you heard of? - Of the one in Mitre square. When I left I left in charge of the stair Constable 190 of the H Division of the metropolitan police. I told him to observe if any one left or entered. I returned to the building about five o'clock.

Comment

If the apron in her possessions was in one piece, and Jack needed it to wipe his knife and hands, why didn't he just grab and take off with the whole apron?
                Because it was tied to her body, so he had to cut something.
                Common sense would tell anyone that the apron had to be tied somewhere, it didn't just hang there glued to her.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi Leanne,

It's an unwritten rule of Ripperology that you must never ask sensible questions.

Regards,

Simon
                  Take note Leanne, and please follow Simon's example.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Thats not recorded anywhere in the official testimony so it is unsafe to rely on.

bearing in mind at the mortuary when the body was stripped and they were taking note of all the cuts to her clothing and the bloodstains why did they not make mention of the apron being cut or blood stained if she was supposed to be wearing an apron. Theyt didn so what does that tell us ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                    Rubbish, a real ex-policeman would know that is not true.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

A whole apron would be to big for that purpose. The 12 pieces of neatly folded rag were probably better quality material which she probably intended to try to sell by how they were folded. Too many to suggest she could have used one of those when she had two pieces of old white apron

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                      Get this....a man explaining to a woman about sanitary towels.
                      Is there no end to this madness.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hi Mr Wood

This is a new theory to me. Have you posts you can point to where I can read in more detail.
                        You wouldn't know it but Mr Wood wrote a book on the subject, every time a question is asked he tells you to buy his book.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                          All those little bits and pieces Eddowes had in her possession.How did she carry them? Too much to be carried in the hands,and the apron didn't appear to have pockets.Two pockets were mentioned though,but not claimed to hold anything.Perhaps the apron piece found by long acted as a holdall?
                          The pockets listed in her possessions are similar to those worn today by market stall workers. It is like a belt with a pouch or two sewn on. It is worn around the waist, under the clothing. Eddowes wore two, one made of ticking, the other of calico.
                          Those pockets were empty as was the case with Chapman her possessions scattered around. Almost suggests he was looking for something.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                            ​​​

I always figured, (but actually have with no historical evidence to think,) that women of the period would wear an apron over their clothes as protection to the clothing. A dress could be kept reasonably clean without daily/weekly cleaning if properly covered/protected. The apron would be easier to wash and eventually thrown away at less cost. Much like the men of the period who wore leather aprons like body armor, the apron was the woman's armor against flit.

I assumed they all wore one, most of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by APerno View Post

I always figured, (but actually have with no historical evidence to think,) that women of the period would wear an apron over their clothes as protection to the clothing. A dress could be kept reasonably clean without daily/weekly cleaning if properly covered/protected. The apron would be easier to wash and eventually thrown away at less cost. Much like the men of the period who wore leather aprons like body armor, the apron was the woman's armor against flit.

I assumed they all wore one, most of the time.
                              You're exactly right, the apron was a covering for day wear.
                              Mary was described as often seen in a clean white apron, no matter what her condition.
                              Women typically did housework all day long, on their knees scrubbing, or polishing, washing clothes. The married ones often removed it when hubby came home from work.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by wickerman View Post

because it was tied to her body, so he had to cut something.
                                Common sense would tell anyone that the apron had to be tied somewhere, it didn't just hang there glued to her.
                                she wasn't wearing an apron!

Comment

Working...
                                X