Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline was JtR

I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened:

And who the heck is the copper in the photo? It certainly can't be FGA.

yeah I read something about that this morning on a WS facebook post. well, it can never be worst than the theory about Caroll and others. this guy is just bored, or senile, or both!

Comment

I'm most intrigued by the 'so called' photo of Aaron Kosminski - where on earth is that from?

Raoul

Comment

I wondered the same thing. I thought we didn't even know what he looked like really.

Comment

It's simple. That's not Kosminski. No more than the photo of "Abberline" is Abberline.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            It's simple. That's not Kosminski. No more than the photo of "Abberline" is Abberline.
            Yes. It's one of a set of artist's impressions, as discussed many times before.

Comment

Hi all,

It is idiotic. They picked a photograph of someone who looked like a description of Abberline. And Kosminski looks far too old. Where do people come up with these things? And how did this man get the idea that Abberline wrote the diary? What about all the Maybrick references in it, why would Abberline have done that?

It looks like someone had nothing to do on a rainy Sunday and started to put different theories together and threw a detective in for good measure.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

You are, of course, quite right, Addy. I'm just surprised that more "authors" didn't latch on to Abberline as a prime suspect a long time ago: he knew the East End well; some of the victims may have known him, or at least known of him, and, therefore, would have trusted him; he was known to wander about at night during the period; and, if he were found near a murder site, no policeman would have questioned his presence in the area.

His motive? Well there you've got me.

Comment

This theory is one of the strangest I've heard yet. It would be the silliest, except for the Charles Dodgson theory and all the theories wherein someone who wasn't in the city still managed to be the killer. It reminds me of the silly story I wrote in high school as a parody of Ripper theories. At the end, the detective finds out JtR was Queen Victoria. It was my response to the Prince Jack book I had read recently.

How on earth was Abberline supposed to have found time to be Jack the Ripper? You'd think he'd be one of the most busy people in London during that time. And surely other detectives would have noticed his absence if he did go out and murder people?

Comment

"And surely other detectives would have noticed his absence if he did go out and murder people?"

Not if he left a cardboard replica of himself at his desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      "And surely other detectives would have noticed his absence if he did go out and murder people?"

Not if he left a cardboard replica of himself at his desk.

Well now the theory makes perfect sense. Why didn't I think of that before?

Comment

Well the therory about Abberline being the Ripper is not new, but it's indeed one of the silliest theories. Just because he would have had the means made some people jump to conclusions. but like Mister Maurice said... "what motive?". I can't see Abberline turning into some kind of female-loathing evil Batman.

Comment

This is hardly knew - Gorman (Sickert) and faiclough had their Abberline diaries didn't they? And the diaries were so accurate and reliable that the writer transposed his initials (something we all do, I'm sure) and actually had such foresight that he used material not published until the 70s in True Detective!!

As with the recent thread on "I believe Robert Louis Stevenson was JtR" based on one short story, the idea fails on a total lack of anything resembling evidence. There is no contemporary speculation even that "Fred dunnit"; and while he might be placed in the East End at the right, and admitted to strolling the streets after hours in pursuance of the case, no description matches his all too distinctive appearance.

We can put this one out with the rubbish.

Phil

Comment

Have you read the readers comments after the article ?

Someone called 'Lotus', living in Australia, is claiming to be a relative of Abberline and in possession of photos and a 'diaries..' (!)
                            Last edited by Rubyretro; 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM.
                            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                              Have you read the readers comments after the article ?

Someone called 'Lotus', living in Australia, is claiming to be a relative of Abberline and in possession of photos and a 'diaries..' (!)
                              classic. let's keep an eye on these claims cause there will obviously be more coming, and maybe even loopier every time

Comment

Working...
                              X