London Haunts and Horrors Jack the Ripper talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Haunts and Horrors Jack the Ripper talk

London Haunts and Horrors - a group associated with British horror website The Spooky Isles which I've done various articles for - have asked me to do a talk the evening before the conference, followed by a (very) brief walk to a couple of the murder sites.

As the group is focused on the horror element, my talk is exploring the various ghost stories that have sprung up surrounding the case, but am also using the opportunity to explore how the area has changed over the last 125 years.

Eventbrite - Discover the Best Local Events & Things to Do

JACK THE RIPPER TALK: Do Jack the Ripper & his victims still walk the streets?

The Bell Pub
    50 Middlesex St
    E1 7EX London
    United Kingdom
    Thursday, 7 November 2013 from 19:30 to 22:00 (GMT)

London Haunts and Horrors will commemorate the 125th Anniversary of the Whitechapel Murders with a special talk from Jon Rees - a noted expert on Jack the Ripper.

In popular culture Jack the Ripper has always been a Victorian bogeyman - a phantom that stalks the street like a real life Edward Hyde or Dracula – emerging from the shadows onto fog filled streets and vanishing into the night like a spectre.

It is therefore understandable that Jack the Ripper has always had a link to the paranormal – a link that continues to this day.

Ripperologist Jon Rees will explore some of the ghost stories that surround the Ripper – some of which date back to the time of the murders themselves, while others have formed over the last 125 years. Jon has been studying the Ripper case for nearly 10 years and has written several articles for Ripperologist magazine (the journal for Jack the Ripper, East End and Victorian studies), is currently co authoring a book on the murders and is a speaker at the Jack the Ripper 125th anniversary conference. He has a degree in Psychology and Criminology and is currently studying towards a Masters in Forensic Psychology and Criminology.

As well as his interest in the Whitechapel murders, Jon has had a fascination in ghosts and the paranormal since childhood. As part of his background in Psychology, Jon’s dissertation was a study into parapsychology and belief in the paranormal.

Following Jon's talk, you will be guided through the East End area where the Whitechapel murders took place to gain a better understanding of what happened there 125 years ago.

Cost: £8

Booked my tickets and looking forward to it Jon.
    Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

I do wish it were possible for me to attend! For me, the Ripper has always been just as much about surrounding mythology, and about the reaction of the public, as it has been about an actual criminal case. This sounds like the sort of talk I'd enjoy.

Is there any chance that you'll have a recording of your lecture available afterwards, or possibly write a dissertation on the topic?
      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch Orris View Post
        Booked my tickets and looking forward to it Jon.
        Thanks, see you there!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
          I do wish it were possible for me to attend! For me, the Ripper has always been just as much about surrounding mythology, and about the reaction of the public, as it has been about an actual criminal case. This sounds like the sort of talk I'd enjoy.

Is there any chance that you'll have a recording of your lecture available afterwards, or possibly write a dissertation on the topic?
          If there is a recording, I will put it online. If not, I'll be putting the text on my blog and will post a link here.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjon View Post
            If there is a recording, I will put it online. If not, I'll be putting the text on my blog and will post a link here.
            Thanks! Much appreciated!
            - Ginger

Comment

Working...
            X