No announcement yet.

monastry at mitre square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They've probably used a zoom lens when taking that photo. My guess is that it was taken from the roof of the easternmost end of Priory House, as that was built before the K&T warehouses nearest Mitre Street were demolished and the rest of Priory House was built.

Clearly all of the K&T buildings have gone, as you can see the cellars in the bottom right hand corner of the photo, and if I recall correctly, didn't the main section of Priory House go up in 1979/1980, making it the last part of the old Victorian era square to be demolished?

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

Hi there, I'm presuming the archaeology book is a MoLAS edition? May well be wrong though! Could anyone let me know the name of the book that the Mitre Dig picture came from please? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks a lot, Kate.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
        From an archeology book. That was 1979 when the site was cleared for a new building on the corner. - Roy
        Which book?

Comment

Roy: If you are still following this thread, what was the name of the book from which you obtained the photo? If he/she is still alive, the photographer might have additional images of the square.

Comment

that is such a fantastic find ! this is the kind of thing which tells me that we have only scratched the surface of what is out there and relevant to this case......photographs really inspire me and help me to envisage what this small part of London looked like back in the day.....thank you so much !!

Comment

What a great picture, once you visualise how it is now it, it all fits in, I' m just so sad about what I saw early this morning though, the builders are in and I'm afraid it's about to face its final insult and be lost forever.

Comment

Hi Rob

I havn't seen the re-development plans. Is the site to be covered over in it's entirety?

Comment

Roy, did you ever find out what book the pics were from?

- CFL

Comment

Working...
                  X