Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Robert 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - by John Wheat 17 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Robert 21 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Elamarna 40 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - by albie 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Observer 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (60 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (10 posts)
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - (7 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (4 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Patterns of behavior and Tumblety - (1 posts)
Annie Chapman: AC and TOD - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 04-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Then again, Maybrick was a complete and utter nobody compared to some of the suspects suggested over the years and, after Stephen Knight got away with libelling the Royal Family (effectively what his book did) then I'd say that it was pretty much open season to take a pop at any suspect you liked, no matter how high-profile they were.
I dont disagree Gareth. Im just viewing it from a ‘what would i do?’ point. I would want a subject that was the least likely to be disproven by it being shown that he was elsewhere at the time of a murder. Obviously this hasnt occurred in Maybrick’s case but it might easily have done. That kind of occurence would have been far less likely for a working class man.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
He took a room in Middlesex Street, Whitechapel, as the diary helpfully explains early on.

For "helpfully explains" read "conveniently explains", by the way.
Careful you don't try to have it both ways here, Sam. If the journal is a fake as you purport, then Maybrick lived 200 miles away in Liverpool and that was that. You cannot then dip into the pages of the journal you so malign and use its contents to help to explain why Maybrick was chosen.

Cake and eat it nae, young man.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:29 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Then again, Maybrick was a complete and utter nobody compared to some of the suspects suggested over the years...
Out of the mouths...

The diary of a nobody - which is what I thought of it back in 1998 and still do nearly twenty years later.

Has everyone got it the right way round?

Was the point of the diary to find someone who could fit the ripper's shoes and solve the Whitechapel Murders?

Or did it all stem from Maybrick himself, and the aftermath of the infamous trial of his missus for his murder by poisoning?

What to do about Jim? Wouldn't it be fitting to take this complete and utter nobody, and supposed victim of Mrs M, and make him the real villain of the piece. But how? Hmmm, let's think. Wasn't he a frequent visitor to the Capital, where his social climbing bore of a brother lived? He died just a few months after Jack the Ripper's most horrific murder.

That'll do nicely.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 04-20-2018, 02:43 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Careful you don't try to have it both ways here, Sam. If the journal is a fake as you purport, then Maybrick lived 200 miles away in Liverpool and that was that. You cannot then dip into the pages of the journal you so malign and use its contents to help to explain why Maybrick was chosen.

Cake and eat it nae, young man.
I'm not eating any cake, Ike. The diary promoted Maybrick as a Ripper suspect, so it's fair game to point out that it is also the source for this handy explanation (excuse) to bridge that 200 mile gap.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 04-20-2018, 02:53 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
What to do about Jim? Wouldn't it be fitting to take this complete and utter nobody, and supposed victim of Mrs M, and make him the real villain of the piece. But how? Hmmm, let's think. Wasn't he a frequent visitor to the Capital, where his social climbing bore of a brother lived?
If so, then why not mention these frequent fraternal visits, instead of conjuring up a rented room in Middlesex Street? And if he didn't fancy using Stephen's sofa as his operational base, were there no hotels? Step forward, SE Mibrac, your time has come...

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 AM
Assistant Commissioner

From time immemorial (or even immoral...) the image of the Ripper in the lay mind is that of a topper-wearing Victorian toff. Maybe this all originally stems from Leonard Matters' book in the 1920's/30's in which he proposed that the Ripper was a doctor avenging the death of his son. Maybe the image goes back before then. But whatever, the famous full-face photo of a satisfied-looking Maybrick is to all intents and purposes how, if you asked him to, the Common Man would describe the Ripper. Come the anniversaries of the Ripper Murders and shortly afterwards the Maybrick Case, what better reason for some enterprising forger, who perhaps had a bit of experience in the world of journalism, to link the two and produce, or assist in the production of, a purported Diary of Jack The Ripper. For what purpose? Well, £££'s, actually. What else?

And I still think that Melvin Harris was probably closer to the truth than anyone these days gives him much credit for. But that's just my opinion.

Graham
Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
If so, then why not mention these frequent fraternal visits, instead of conjuring up a rented room in Middlesex Street? And if he didn't fancy using Stephen's sofa as his operational base, were there no hotels? Step forward, SE Mibrac, your time has come...
Well Sam - as I'm sure you know - he does mention the fraternal visits to London (and Manchester, of course). And he mentions the room in Middlesex Street which - as you imply - is essentially superfluous given that his London link has already been established. Which implies that our hoaxer made up the Middlesex Street link to make Maybrick's case stronger somehow ("What a shame that Michael lives so hopelessly far from Whitechapel. No-one would believe that Maybrick would travel a few miles to commit his devilish deeds. I know, I'll move his locus right into Whitechapel - that'll convince them.").

Or ... or the author of the journal was James Maybrick and he was just writing what was true without any plan to beguile the Ripper-reading masses of the late 20th century.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
From time immemorial (or even immoral...) the image of the Ripper in the lay mind is that of a topper-wearing Victorian toff. Maybe this all originally stems from Leonard Matters' book in the 1920's/30's in which he proposed that the Ripper was a doctor avenging the death of his son. Maybe the image goes back before then. But whatever, the famous full-face photo of a satisfied-looking Maybrick is to all intents and purposes how, if you asked him to, the Common Man would describe the Ripper. Come the anniversaries of the Ripper Murders and shortly afterwards the Maybrick Case, what better reason for some enterprising forger, who perhaps had a bit of experience in the world of journalism, to link the two and produce, or assist in the production of, a purported Diary of Jack The Ripper. For what purpose? Well, £££'s, actually. What else?

And I still think that Melvin Harris was probably closer to the truth than anyone these days gives him much credit for. But that's just my opinion.

Graham
Graham, is this the same Melvin Harris who said the journal could have been written using 2-3 books then just couldn't quite name them?

"Hold on, they're on the tip of my tongue. Er...um...ah...it could be that one...and that one...oh and that one of course...and that one obviously...and that obscure one...oh, mustn't forget that one...and that letter here and that letter there, mud-covered and all...and that very obscure reference in the States...and a book of Grand National winners, naturally. That sounds like 2-3 books to me. Sorted."
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Well, maybe 2 or 3 books and a bit of constructive imagination, eh? I mean, given that you accept that Maybrick wrote the Diary, perhaps you know who the mysterious Mrs Hammersmith was? Or how he predicted the use of the phrase 'tin matchbox empty'? And I did use the words 'probably' and 'closer to the truth' rather than 'definitely knew the truth'.

Whoever wrote the Diary plainly had a reasonable working knowledge of the Ripper Murders, and padded the tale out a bit with a few pearls of 'knowledge' of his own. I think.

Graham
Old 08-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Graham, is this the same Melvin Harris who said the journal could have been written using 2-3 books then just couldn't quite name them?

"Hold on, they're on the tip of my tongue. Er...um...ah...it could be that one...and that one...oh and that one of course...and that one obviously...and that obscure one...oh, mustn't forget that one...and that letter here and that letter there, mud-covered and all...and that very obscure reference in the States...and a book of Grand National winners, naturally. That sounds like 2-3 books to me. Sorted."
Still jawing on about those Grand National winners, all of whom are listed in Liverpool Soundings, along with pieces on James and Florence, lol. The rest was covered by David, wasn't it?

Falls on deaf ears and blind eyes with you, mate.