Private sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lechmere

I neither oppose it nor support it. I just think it's wholly unnecessary and a complete irrelevance, because the idea that these other documents are fakes is absolutely preposterous.

Comment

• When this was done there was no ‘Ripperological’ community pouring over things.
      Lechmere:

'Poring' Mr Federal Ambassador -logically.
      Last edited by Rubyretro; 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM.
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• Chris
        here are two separate questions.

Do you think it was necessary for the Littlechild Letter to be checked?

Do you think it was necessary to have the Marginalia checked in the first place?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Lechmere

I neither oppose it nor support it. I just think it's
          wholly unnecessary and a complete irrelevance
          , because the idea that these other documents are fakes is absolutely preposterous.
          For somebody that might pay £20,000 for them ?

I couldn't afford the documents but I would just like to know for the sake of historical accuracy. I don't think that any arguement here has managed to give me a believable explanation for glaring anomalies -that's before tests.
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• Lechmere

Actually, I think it must be my turn to ask you some questions now ...

Comment

• Lechmere, have you heard of any banknote forgers who spend hours getting the details right but omit the denomination of the note ("Kosminski was the suspect") and actually LOSE their forged banknotes, only for these to pop up in a public building years later?

Comment

• George 'The Great' Brain looks like a mastermind compared with your forger :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Job_(film)

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  George 'The Great' Brain looks like a mastermind compared with your forger :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Job_(film)
                  It's funny that in that film the gang has to get into the grounds of a police station. Of course, the hypothetical marginalia fakers would have had to get into New Scotland Yard itself! How could they have done it?

Comment

• Chris, I think going back to a suggestion you made earlier, perhaps the museum itself is only a cardboard replica. Has the museum been tested?

They could have dismantled the original museum and rebuilt it as a Tesco Express.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Chris, I think going back to a suggestion you made earlier, perhaps the museum itself is only a cardboard replica. Has the museum been tested?
                      Obviously it needs to be tested - what's the point of making sure the exhibits are genuine if the museum itself is a fake? - but how can we be sure that the people testing it aren't 'close' to the Swanson family?

Comment

• It doesn't have 'Police Box' written on the exterior does it? That would explain a few things...

Comment

• Maybe we could hold a non-identity parade. We stick the Swansons in a line-up and then ask the buildings experts to point out anyone whom they don't recognize.

Hopefully by this method we'll find the one person who hasn't had a cup of tea with them.

Comment

• Of course everyone who has worked at Scotland Yard these past 25 years has been honest and everyone who has gained entry to the Crime Museum - assorted policemen, civilian workers, journalists, crime buffs and hangers on - has been honest or was impervious to bring fooled.
                            Of course the Crime Museum is more secure than Fort Knox and nothing had ever been stolen from it.
                            Of course it's easier to steel, to take away than to leave something behind - isn't it?
                            All's well, let's go back to sleep.
                            Have faith.

Comment

• I fail to see why "assorted policemen, civilian workers, journalists, crime buffs and hangers on" should stuff forgeries down the back of a filing cabinet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                                Frankly the refusal to give an inch and accept that historical documents should be verified amazes me.
                                I've been lurking on this thread for a while and what amazes me is that having the documents examined twice, once in 2006 and again in 2012 (using documents by Donald Swanson more contemporary to the marginalia), doesn't seem to count.

I don't think there is anyone here saying that verification of newly (re-) discovered primary documents shouldn't be undertaken. These documents have been examined. If the verification (or the person doing it) doesn't meet up to your satisfaction, that's fine. The (two) verifications, the documented provenance and the absolute lack of evidence of any wrong doing has satisfied most people. If you have anything other than further unsubstantiated claims and innuendo, please let us know.

Comment

Working...
                                X