EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Some works describe it as a derogatory term, to most Aussies it's not.

My brother in law for example and indeed my favourite nieces husband will both always be Pommy Bs to me and I think highly of both, just as my friends from America are all Yanks and those from New Zealand are Kiwis.
    Most Americans (myself included) will cut foreigners considerable slack on calling us "yankees", but yeah, that's a derogatory term used to refer to New Englanders.
    - Ginger

Comment

In the end, I think the real question is this: If the UK did not belong to the EU, would you vote to join it?
      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
        In the end, I think the real question is this: If the UK did not belong to the EU, would you vote to join it?
        Well, no, I certainly wouldn't. However, we joined the EEC, a very different community from the current EU.

The problem for me is, do we stay in with Cameron or pull out with Boris et al? That, for me, is no choice at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rbaynton View Post
          Thats because there is hardly any objective info around. Both sides relying on scare tactics and panic scenarios!

Oh! I get it! Like our elections

Well, I can understand getting out.

Comment

Most Americans (myself included) will cut foreigners considerable slack on calling us "yankees", but yeah, that's a derogatory term used to refer to New Englanders.
            Yep, but come to Aus and I bet you get called a yank.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Gut,
              It's the word Pommy I object to.
              In 1940's,when Jamaica wished to withdraw from Britain's control,America were willing to condone murder,to prevent it.What is their stance on Britain leaving the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                Gut,
                It's the word Pommy I object to.
                In 1940's,when Jamaica wished to withdraw from Britain's control,America were willing to condone murder,to prevent it.What is their stance on Britain leaving the EU.
                Unfortunately Harry in Aussie you'd hear it, probably a lot.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Yet only people from Virginia south to around Kissimmee, FL and west to the Mississippi and, of course, Texas find it pejorative to be referred to as one.
                  You know what is REALLY fun? Go into a small southern bar, order yourself a shot, raise your glass high and say "Some day The South shall rise again... High enough to kiss my Yankee ass". You could also wait until someone else says the first part, since its really just a matter of time in several areas. That always leads to an interesting night.
                  I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggyrand View Post
                    Yet only people from Virginia south to around Kissimmee, FL and west to the Mississippi and, of course, Texas find it pejorative to be referred to as one.
                    I grew up in Indiana, and I've lived in Illinois, Ohio, and California. The Californians are like "Huh?", but it's a definite perjorative in the midwest.
                    - Ginger

Comment

Comment

I thought it was originally bestowed upon the English.....by the Dutch?
                        Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; 06-12-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                          Well, no, I certainly wouldn't. However, we joined the EEC, a very different community from the current EU.

The problem for me is, do we stay in with Cameron or pull out with Boris et al? That, for me, is no choice at all.
                          So, your whole political choice is defined by two Tories?

Christ.

What about the principle of the matter?

This is the thing with the left: you define yourselves in relation to the Tories to the extent you have lost all sense of perspective. You exist only to be anti-Tory. Thinking about it though, not surprising considering the left has nothing interesting to say.

So what if Cameron or whomever else supports staying in or leaving? Surely the point is what is best for this country?

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                            So, your whole political choice is defined by two Tories?

Christ.

What about the principle of the matter?

This is the thing with the left: you define yourselves in relation to the Tories to the extent you have lost all sense of perspective. You exist only to be anti-Tory. Thinking about it though, not surprising considering the left has nothing interesting to say.

So what if Cameron or whomever else supports staying in or leaving? Surely the point is what is best for this country?

Who, or what, is 'the left'?

I don't define myself in relation to anyone. Stop telling me who I am and why I exist.

No current politician, left or right, seems to be able to state truthfully what is best for the country. They are, almost without exception, a shameful shower who have visited immeasurable suffering to hard-working people whilst filling their own coffers.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                              No current politician, left or right, seems to be able to state truthfully what is best for the country. They are, almost without exception, a shameful shower who have visited immeasurable suffering to hard-working people whilst filling their own coffers.
                              ....and there ladies and gentlemen is possibly the best thing ever posted on the internet...

All in it for themselves or their mates no matter what Party they belong to. Bunch of selfish greedy liars... 'who will be blamed for nothing...'

Comment

They are indeed the hollow men - except that their headpieces aren't even filled with straw.

Comment

Working...
                                X